BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to whiterock crabing i no i no get a boat right well cant .antways where are all the crab is it the wrong time of the year or what ? all i pulled in was a big red rock it was legal but i threw it back ??????????? i used to get lots off of the peir tell me

·
Registered
167 Posts
how about the sunshine coast, can anyone recommend any good places there (south of powell river/north of and including thormanby isl?)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have done a lot of crabbing in the past. Here is my advice - Bait in my opinion is crucial. I will only use fresh fish that I just caught. Secondly the crab traps you use - I have tested both the metal boxes and the mesh oval material ones. Same bait in both traps within 15 meters apart from one another the mesh seems to always produce more crabs. Now where to crab - I can't give away it is my secret!

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
I personally find chicken backs work best for me. Thier cheep, greasy and the little
cridders love'm. As for where to go from shore, thats a tough one. I faced the same
delema and found if you don't at least have access to a dingi or small car topper you're
dead in the water or er ah back on shore with the rest. You'll find the bulk of the crab
is in thier comfort zone along the tidal flow. This aids in thier movement and feeding.
I've worked a few spots along the coast ie. Tsawwason coal port,sand heads,mud bay,
and found Indian Arm to be the most enjoyable. You can try the docks at Cates park
North Van ,Bedwell Bay via Ioco, or there is another park along the barnet hwy but the
name escapes me at the moment. Hope this helps....Cheers...Marko... ;D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Teppit1 said:
how about the sunshine coast, can anyone recommend any good places there (south of powell river/north of and including thormanby isl?)

[/quote/]

we always used to go crabbing near quarry bay, alwyas produced crabs, the bait we used was salmon heads. it's about 20 minutes outside of garden bay across from the pilings on texada island

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
fish for them in the summer, right now they're in the deep sea, in the summer they migrate up to the shelf off the coast and thats when we can go get them, no point in freezing ur but off now!

·
Registered
32 Posts
They're deep, but they're there - 150 - 185 feet, sorry I can't say where. My daughter and I caught our limit today (big family gathering tomorrow) using a three year old package of smelt I found in the bottom of the freezer. I used to use chicken for its tenacious greasiness, but now use salmon and halibut carcasses. I chop them up at filetting time and vaccuum seal them in individual packs - a bit anal, I know, but my wife likes it better than Safeway bags full of indeterminate body parts. I used to know an old guy who swore the best crab bait he ever used was a dead cat ;D. Wouldn't have put it past the bugger... The only bait I've not liked is prawn pellets. Its funny, they work so well for prawns ???.

I don't know, but when I was a student at UBC, I used to fish off the Jericho Pier on the highest tides. You have to fight for a space, especially when it warms up, but I caught a lot of crab there. Just yell "DFO" and a few spaces open up as the crabbers run to their cars with undersized crabs ;). Havent been back for about 10 years tho'.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I will agree the traditional 60' is not so right. 120' to 180' is where I go if more than a appatize I am looking for.
have fun bigjay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i always use squid i put it nylon stockings from doller store and chicken /fish heads from last years sring and socs i caught im getting a boat in the spring so im going to drop traps in a little deeper water my friend told me to drop them bye delta docks in ladner he told me he used to pull big ones up there when he works out there and for traps i got box traps might pick up a couple comercial trap from buy and sell

1 - 11 of 11 Posts