BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always marked my floats with my name and number. I alwasy see tons of floats unmarked and was wondering what the rules were around these?

Does the DFO come and clean up those that have been left there for a while and have no identification? Are they free for the taking according to the laws of the sea?

· Registered
1,484 Posts
From the DFO website:

Shellfish Traps and Rings
Marking, Buoys and Buoy Lines

If fishing from a dock or from shore, a tag must be marked with the operator’s name to the line that has the trap or ring net attached to the other end.

If fishing in open waters, all shellfish trap/ring buoys must be clearly marked with the name of the person fishing the gear (the operator’s name must be printed in solid black, capital letters at least 75 mm high). Only one name can appear on the float or buoy. It is recommended that you include your phone number.

All single traps must be marked with a buoy.

Buoys must be highly visible and of sufficient size for the tides and current in your fishing area so as not to submerge. Household plastic jugs, bottles or Styrofoam chunks are not recommended for use as buoys as they are difficult to see in the water, difficult to mark with identification, and tend to deteriorate and sink.

Ensure that your buoy line doesn’t float and become entangled in boaters’ props. Either use sinking line or, if you use floating line, attach a weight to keep the excess line below the surface of the water at all tide levels without sinking the buoy.

Keep navigation channels clear of buoys and lines to allow for safe navigation. Any fishing gear that hinders or impedes safe navigation may be removed under the Navigable Waters Protection Act.

Mechanical devices may be used to recover traps.
That pretty much says it right there. If you've noticed a trap that's been there awhile and it doesn't have a tag on it, I'd call the local DFO and have them investigate. The Law of the Sea doesn't apply to crab traps, lol (at least to my knowledge).

· Banned
228 Posts
As a boater I see too may small "floats" that are hard to see when there's chop on the water... or getting dusk...example some small white float that is nearly submerged...... The larger orange floats can be seen from a good distance...wish all crabbers used them...

· Registered
67 Posts
Im a amateur Crabber and I tell ya when comes dusk a small orange float you lose it rather quickly and it is a real pain when awaiting a full trap for over 6 hours and puttering around in a dingy with electric motor as larger boats are all coming in,,lol, Deffinately larger and brighter the float the better .I also never heard about having to mark your name and number on it until a nice lady named fishabeth filled me in on all the rules....

· Registered
4 Posts
Just thought i'd offer some quality advice...don't use duck or goose decoys as floats to try to fool trap robbers...you may end up spending alot of time running around having your "float" fly off as you get near...and yeah, i know i could have GPS'd 'em but i didn't...anyways, made for a memorable day.

· Registered
85 Posts
Aside from making them more visible, I wish that people would be a bit more considerate and try to find a spot to set their trap that is a little out of the way, to set traps at prime fishing spots such as the bell bouy or ambleside is inconsiderate. Having to navigate around 50 other boats is already hard enough! Just my :2cents:eek:n this issue.

· Registered
36 Posts
I LOVE CRABBING... & my crab float actually has a flag on it, VERY VISIBLE! where i put it down it is ESSENTIAL as as the changing tide will often carry it on the sandy bottom.

I also never heard about having to mark your name and number on it until a nice lady named fishabeth filled me in on all the rules....
AWE - thanks surreyguy - I'm feeling the love, but honestly... I didn't get the rules totally straight as I apparently mis-marked my float with a RED JIFFY marker instead of BLACK. shame on me!

but Enniberg
a spot to set their trap that is a little out of the way, to set traps at prime fishing spots such as the bell bouy or ambleside is inconsiderate.
I TOTALLY HEAR YA & SECOND THAT THOUGHT!... or i guess, after arimaBOATER, I'm THIRDING IT.

& JUST to let ya'll know LAST weekend when i pulled in my one keeper (there were about 12 JUST-under-sized in the trap) When i got back to ROCKY POINT - the DFO dude was there... checking out the catches. Had a good chat & he mentioned he nailed alot of poachers that day.

ANYWAYS -my question is... if I've chopped the crab in half & am cleaning it the guts out... why is it still moving??? seriously.... this is might get in my way of winning a challenge on IRON CHEF AMERICA. BTW a keeper crab @ Thrifty's is about $18. T&T Supermarket is much cheaper & by far, my favorite place to catch them if my traps fail. :thumbup: happy catching.

· Banned
228 Posts
FISHABETH [hi] Have no idea the crab still moved...nerves still twiching possibly... Once about 18-20 yrs ago I went biking along the Pitt R on the ***** & came to a small water channel or ditch that went 30 yards or so then into the river. I had seen some river otters swimming in this area before. I got off my bike & just looked into this ditch from it's bank [clean water 3-4 ft deep] What I saw really puzzled me. I'm not kidding & am dead serious [ I believe in the Lord & I swear I'm not giving you a con job or lying] I saw two fish in the water about two feet apart with their gills moving but only one thing ... they had 80% of their bodies missing!!!!!!!! only their heads & 20% of their body left. their heads were in a normal position & could see their gills going in & out!!! My only guess was possibly some otter ate part of them maybe minutes before??? Remember they were coarse fish & heads were the size of an average man's fist. .......... Nature's wonders...As long as a dead body doesn't try to come out of a coffin at a funeral...

· Registered
815 Posts
The ones over by Amblside are comercial or food fisher. I've seen the guy putting them out. That the start of his string and pulls it at dawn or right around then.

I'd also like to say remeber the weather when putting down traps! If it blowing 20 knots with a five foot sea you need more than ten extra feet of line. :2cents:

Have fun, Jason

G

·
What do you folks use for bait?

I like to use spoiled bacon. I freeze it, and tie it into mesh bags.
When it thaws out, and the oils start to flow, it brings crab in from miles around..

· Banned
228 Posts
I do not crab but ones that do I know of use raw chicken. [ Talking about crabs I remember scuba diving in Indian Arm...Belcara Park area I think it's called & came across commercial crab traps with alot & I mean alot of crabs in them... this was in the 1970's ...I assume there's still alot of crab there]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.