BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi BCFR!

I think I need a little help.

My grandparents are having a dinner in the middle of Sept and they've requested some fresh crab. I know that the commercial guys are out there right now, but will there be any left around during that time? I have a fairly long range with my boat and I'm more than willing to do an over-night trip. My grandparents are pretty special so I would love to be able to provide.

I'd also like to pick up some prawns for them as well...

if anyone has some advice or recommendations, that'd be super!

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
For the Crab portion I'd recommend Belcarra up the Indian arm in about 60-70' of water. I've always had good success there. You can also try off Ambleside...would be my second choice.

Dont have much experience for Prawns but I know you can definitely get them in Howe Sound just off Lions Bay. 200-300' deep if I'm not mistaken. You'll be able to see the other traps (all prawn traps in that area) and should do well in the same area.

·
Registered
68 Posts
spot for crab

I've always had good luck just off Cates park, a hundred yards or so from where it turns the corner from Burrard Inlet to Indian Arm. On shore you can see some conrete stairs with a tube-steel railing coming down to the beach. That area has a sandy, steady slope that the crabs like to follow up and down with the tide, and you should do quite well with your trap in about 40 feet of water.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic, thanks guys! I was pretty much under the impression that commercial guys would have crabbed out the local areas.

Anyone got any prawning locals? usually drop my traps at passage island, but that's in the winter... not sure if it's productive in the summer months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For crabbing I've tried only twice without results.
I've gone to Belcarra (really crowded) and Cates Park (from the pier in early April). Both times I've got quite a number of crabs but almost 80% were females and all of them below the size to be kept....

Any idea where else to go and be able to keep at least a couple of them?

Thanks,

Gerardo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Productive Crabbing?

For crabbing I've tried only twice without results.
I've gone to Belcarra (really crowded) and Cates Park (from the pier in early April). Both times I've got quite a number of crabs but almost 80% were females and all of them below the size to be kept....

Any idea where else to go and be able to keep at least a couple of them?

Thanks,

Gerardo

·
Registered
116 Posts
99.9% of the time you can get crab in your trap off Jericho/Spanish Banks with or without the commercial guys open.

I've never had a problem in that area.

·
Registered
70 Posts
so being from Blaine I believe boundary bay has some of the best crabbing anywhere. I fish the us side usually but the crabs don't care about borders. just inside of pt Roberts is great!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol, hey guys this thread is from 2010. Unless df's parents are coming back again for another visit?
This thread is so old! Lol, but I have been watching its resurrection smiling because it truly represents all I've learned off the people here... It's been amazing!

I didn't start fishing until 2010, and now I'm out all the time, have a freezer full if sockeye, chinook and thousands of prawns! It's like I've been doing it my whole life.

Most of you grew up fishing with your dad, I wasn't so lucky... But both my daughters love fishing now, and my dad is coming out this summer for a week long fishing trip.

This forum has been unbelievable! Thanks to everyone who has helped make the learning curve a lot more enjoyable than it otherwise could have been!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I totally agree with everything said df, this forum is an invaluable resource for help and info..I was going to offer my help till i looked at the posting date. Prawns and crabs have been decent so far this year. It would have been pretty easy to put a huge feed together for your parents. Cheers till they head back again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts