BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next time I'm at one of my favorite lakes that I think would hold a decent population of Crayfish I thought that I would take the prawn trap along and try to catch some Crayfish. Now I don't think the catching part would be that difficult but I've never tried cooking any before. I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on preparing these little critters. Also what would be some of the best baits to try? I've heard many different baits from beef liver to cat food.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I used to use boloney (sp) when I was a kid. but pretty much any meat type thing will work.
Preparation: cook 'em like you would lobster, boil or steam on a bed of dill (steaming takes longer).
If boiling crab, lobster, crayfish, shrimp ... add a potato in the water with any herbs and spices you might use; it helps neutralize some of the smell.
Or you could google how to cook cajun crayfish/crawfish you'll probably get a few spicy recipes there.
Note: southern crayfish don't look exactly the same as their northern cousins and don't get as big if my recollections are right.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, first the catching. use oily meat like carp or even bacon, and use quit abit. when you catch them you have to purge them before cooking them, put them in an ice chest or some kind of large tub and add salt and water. pick out as many as the dead ones as you can and leave them to purge for a while, this also cleans them so stir them around. next heat a good sized pot of water to a boil (prefrebly out side) and add a bag of your favorite shrimp or crab boil seasoning. most people cook corn and red potatoes in this water befor or with the crawdads. dump the crawdads out of the water and put them in a culdrin and drop them in the water. when they are cooked make sure you dont eat any that are not curled up, those ones where dead when you cooked them and are no good. peel the shell off the tail and eat that, also make sure you SUCK THE HEAD!!! thats where all the seasoning is! dont skip it!!

Heres a website to help you with the cooking:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Seafood/CrawfishBoil.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.