BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the week end fishing between hole in the wall , howe sound and pt atkinson . Did not have to much luck in howe sound , only released one undersize chinook . There are fish going through the area as last week we landed a nice 16 # er , and I know a big 24 was taken and also a couple coho this weekend. The coho fishery off pt atkinson was far more successful as we limited out two days . On Saturday afternoon just before the tide change we had a quad . Grabbed the top rod and got one in the boat pretty quick , wife rod went off and she got hers in , my deeper rod had a bigger one on but spit the hook as I got it boat side.. MY wifes other rod just had the fish jumping on the surface in the distance and spit the hook by the time we got to it.. Pretty sick action, never had that before , hit a couple more after that and called it a day . We really had some sweet fishing but overall we had to work pretty hard , was just luck that we stuck it out , as I was just about to pull up cause it seemed slow. 60 to 30 feet was working for us with whitish hoochy doing very well. Also trolled down the west van shore line with no luck. LOOKING forward to getting back out this weekend and fishing in nice weather. I would think the up comming hot dry spell should allow fish to build further down the shore line towards the mouth ?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks for the report dmurph !
Good to see you had some luck. I as out yesterday (Monday) from 11am to 5pm and not a hit, I was fishing everything but the kitchen sink and if it would have been close I would have thrown it out LOL. I was fishing from off the north arm , out to the QA, to Point Atk and then back to the
north arm from 115 to 45' . Was a bit lumpy but was a great day. I did get one crab , which was nice since someone stole my bait out of the trap and propably a few crabs. At least the theif left me my trap and ONE NICE CRAB. STILL A GREAT DAY ON THE WATER !!!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
On Saturday afternoon just before the tide change we had a quad . Grabbed the top rod and got one in the boat pretty quick , wife rod went off and she got hers in , my deeper rod had a bigger one on but spit the hook as I got it boat side.. MY wifes other rod just had the fish jumping on the surface in the distance and spit the hook by the time we got to it.. Pretty sick action, never had that before ,
Murph.........ya need a camera person on board as this is the kinda thing that makes GREAT video!! Rods goin' every which way.....as are people.....the odd swear word.....fish jumping........8) :cheers:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Pippen I pretty much banned cameras on the boat when its just the wife and I . My wife never missed netting a fish all season , last fall I hooked into my first tyee which happened to surface several times by a bonnie lee boat through out the long battle and the guide on board estimated it high thirties maybe a forty. Had the fish boat side several times half belly up , I look over and the wife has the camera in one hand and trying to one hand the net spooking the fish on three attempts. The line finally gave way and the beast and chance at landing a trophy were gone for the rest of the season. I am just joking about the camera being banned , that four pack would have been sweet footage , but we would have needed a third on board cause we sure were frantic on that one. So fun. Funny thing is last season I could barely get a coho in the boat , now that I sharpen my hooks daily it really helps the odds.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Hey Pippen I pretty much banned cameras on the boat when its just the wife and I . My wife never missed netting a fish all season , last fall I hooked into my first tyee which happened to surface several times by a bonnie lee boat through out the long battle and the guide on board estimated it high thirties maybe a forty. Had the fish boat side several times half belly up , I look over and the wife has the camera in one hand and trying to one hand the net spooking the fish on three attempts.
Ha ha.....I've been in similar sorts of situations.

The line finally gave way and the beast and chance at landing a trophy were gone for the rest of the season. I am just joking about the camera being banned , that four pack would have been sweet footage , but we would have needed a third on board cause we sure were frantic on that one. So fun.
Had a "netting malfunction" last year in Kyuquot with a fish that would have been pushing 40 with my GF. It was the one fish I had fought that morning......and after a long battle with MANY runs I am getting it up alongside the boat and she is saying very emphatically, "OH HONEY.....it's BEAUTIFUL!!". Well I explain (as I did all week) that once again I will just bring it head first into the net and she really only needs to slide the net a bit toward the tail but I'll do the drivin'. Well she starts lifting about half way down the body and the fish starts to do a quick "kick back".....hook gets caught in net and fish proceeds to flip me "the tail" to say....."ha ha....f**k you, you should know better!!!".:p Suffice it to say......I do ALL the netting but may give her a few lessons this coming week and practice on some smaller guys.

Funny thing was she was beatin' herself up about it for a couple of days.....I was just kinda like......"ah....sheeot happens". Managed a redemption tyee on the last morning with about an hour before the plane arrived. :thumbup:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I fished PT Atkinson yesterday for a couple of hours in the afternoon after running back from a weekend in the Gulf Islands. 3 Coho on, only one landed, all on Blood & Bones hoochie between 25-30 ft deep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts