BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first thing I'd like to point out is that For all the talk of crowds, and beaks and heavy pressure on the good ole vedder, I've come to realize that midweek trips up there aren't all that bad. I have only very rarely fished the river on a weekend and consequently rarely see more than a handfull of guys all day during weekday trips. :D My last outing was a four day trip that ended on sat afternoon, and the difference was obvious! As I hadn't been out more than 4 times in the last 2 years, I had forgotten how crowds could develop around more productive holding water. Friday afternoon I fished with just my dad at three pools all to ourselves except for 1 guy I noticed across the river and downstream, we had a very good afternoon and had all the room in the world! What a joy! Saturday in the same spot were five guys our side of the river casting practically over our heads, and approx. 8 guys spread out amongst the 3 pools on the other side.... The results were unanimously less enjoyable to say the least! :cry: In a pool where I knew there were multiple fish holding, after about the first hour, the fish just became sullen and sulky probably due to the insane amount of gear that was pounding them each and every minute! I was really quite overwhelmed by the fact that nobody gave the fish a break! I frequently give the fish a chance to relax a little, and myself a chance for some hot coffee and a break on the back. Its was obvious to me that if only one or two people drifted through the run at a time instead of 6 or 7 floats bumping into each other the fish may have been more receptive to our presentations and less tight lipped than they had become.Now I know this is probably too much to ask, but maybe just maybe the crowds would be easier to bear if people practiced a little patience. By the end of my stay at said pool, the fish had obviously moved over into the heavy chop where the angles of those of us on our side were not conducive to enticing them to hit....proven by the 3 guys on the other side hitting fish from a better angle. It's unfortunate that these kinds of situations arise on not only the vedder but many of the other rivers, streams and creeks most of us fish, but having said that, usually if you want to avoid the crowds, even on the ved, you can usually do so by moving to lesser known runs, pocket water and trenches.... although this type of fishing can be more difficult at times it can also be significantly more productive on those days when the close proximity of someone less schooled in etiquette, and charm is getting on your nerves.....
All in all I have come to the opinion that if I feel this way about my favorite little flows, less favorite big flows and the encounter of crowds along them, then I must assume others must also face this delemna. It is clear then that although I don't post on much else other than a few high pressure rivers, and choose not to post on more discrete flows I know and love, I cannot fault anyone beginner to veteran for likewise searching out steelhead water that is more pristine and secret,
and less crowded! In fact about the only thing I can do is respect the fact that they have every right to such exploration and research as I do AND appreciate that those that are looking for these lesser fished waters and secrets we hold dear are of like mind, and will therefore fish them with a similar level of respect, conscienciousness and appreciation that I do!
That said for those who do not go hunting for new water, I can only pass on this great little piece of advice that I was given once:
"More casts does not equate to more fish, only better drifts do...and always show the guy next to you enough respect that he doesn't ruin the rest of your day."

:)
Rib

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nice read ribwart.....I gave up the weekends a long time ago for that very reason. It only takes one person to completely destroy some decent water, and I will definitely go lookin' for some other water if that type of scenerio appears.............Ortho

·
Registered
555 Posts
I almost never fish a piece of water where there are other people fishing. 99% of the time I search out my own water, which can be hard to do on the vedder on the weekend :lol:
I have more confidence in water that only I am fishing.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nicely put Rib, I like your bit about seeking quieter water, even if it's a harder fish. For me, to get away from the crowds is paramount. That's where the second point comes into play. Better casts, which I can practice at my leisure in a quieter spot, will ultimately reward me with more fish.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I hear you on the crowds for sure. There's only one thing worse than that and that's the guy fishing above who sets his hook and the end of every single drift right in front of where you are fishing! :twisted: OOOhhh! That just burns me!

Hotrod

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well put Ribwart I like the comment by Hotrod, my personal favorite is after quietly stalking a piece of water you start working it from above the fish you see laying in there, then here comes joe down the bank says"mornin" to sound all sporty, then proceeds to wade out up to his nards,thus tying up the whole run and spooking the fish, this guy is amazing every cast he gets a hit in the same spot(rocks) and always misses it while flailing in the water
Crazy D 8)

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, there are some "float happy" anglers out there, but they'll learn eventually....
hahahahahahah, :lol:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I guess we all want the same thing , the river all to our self. Some days you think it is going to happen then sombody else shows up. The fish wish nobody will show up! Go out to have a good time and maybe hook up with a fish. If you hook up with some other fishers instead , so be it. The only way you will have the whole fishery to yourself, is if you go out by sand heads or Tunstall bay and brave the elements. No thanks! :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
:? I've only fished the vedder 3x in the last 5 years this year 2x already on the worst days i could find ! noone was around ....It was nice

·
Banned
187 Posts
yeah, I noticed alot of people complain about how much pressure there is and what not, but thats only at the gong shows, I rarley see many people when I hit the river, unless im at a gongshow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts