BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved a PM last night from someone about how I cure my roe, so I figured I would share one of my recipes.

This is a cure I use for Chinook fishing, it can be made simply and overnight and definately is high on the Chinook salmons favorites list. I have omitted a few ingredients(my secrets) that are flavour enhancers and optional, and are not needed to have a top quality cure.

First you must have quality eggs, forget pre frozen commercial crap or stuff that sat in blood in a big bin of roe, this stuff may have good appearance, but Roe is about freshness and smell and that crap is GARBAGE.
For good ROE immediately remove skeins from your fish after killing, very quickly wash away any blood or sand from the eggs and place in a zip loc bag(always carry these). From here your ROE must be placed on ice quickly as the degrading process has already begun. Sooner is better, thats the rule.

I always get to curing as soon as I arrive home, despite being bagged from a hard days fishing, the promise of better days ahead with SUPER roe is all the motivation needed.

First I take the skeins and cut them so that they are opened up(butterflied), next I will cut into strips, that are about 1.5 inches wide with a good piece of skein(skin) left on them. For Chinook I like to have very large chunks of roe, because it does make a difference.

I cut the chunks into a Stainless steel bowl, as these bowls will not transmit smell like a plastic one can.

Now,depending on the amount of eggs, you start to add ingredients. Rule here is make enough liquid cure to submerge all eggs, too much cure will be wasted if you make a HUGE batch, so experiment.

Now in a seperate SS bowl you will make up your cure.
First I add 1/2 cup of BORAX, then a 1/2 cup of sea salt(or rock salt), then a 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Now add water slowly and stir. You should end up with a mixture that is rather thick, not thin as water.
Now add a few squirts of liquid ANISE, not tackle store stuff, the real deal, spice section of Safeway.
Now for color I use BAD AZZ BAIT DYE, be vewy vewy careful, this stuff is highly concentrated, hurts to breathe and will stain your wifes stuff FOREVER, be warned.
I use a variety of the different colored dyes to achieve my favorite eggs, bright and red are a good start.
Slowly add in small portions of bait dye, a 1/4 tea spoon at a time. Once you have achieved your desired color you are almost done.
Now I add a good shaking of either " MONSTER BITE" or "SLAM OLA" powder made by pro cure, these are flavor enhancers and bite stimulators that use chemical formulas that can increase the bite. They are not a required part of the cure, but I use them.
At this point you should have a soupy mixture that is ready for your egg chunks.
Now simply add your eggs and stir gently until all eggs are fully submerged in the sauce.
Now cover with saran wrap, using a large elastic to seal the top, we do not want last nights left overs smell to infiltrate our SUPER EGGS.
I will leave in the fridge for about 4 hours, sloshing things around occassionally.

Now you will come to the tricky part, drying out the egg chunks.
This will vary depending on egg use, less dry time produces a hard milking egg that is good in slower water, for swifter rivers I prefer a slightly tougher egg, and will dry it longer. NEVER EVER let the eggs get hard or crunchy feeling, if you have your cure is now becoming crappy. Your eggs should never go beyond rubbery, often mine will be wet and a little rubbery.
At this point you should strain your eggs in a Stainless steel strainer, usually I leave for 1'2 an hour.
Do not waste your cure, strain into your other Stainless steel bowl, we will be using this prime cure later.

I lay out newspaper, on a large table in a comfy room temperature atmosphere. In the middle of the newspaper I make a pile of BORAX. Next I take the strained egg chunks and roll each piece in the BORAX and place in neat rows on the newspaper. Once I am done I will check them every hour until I like the feel,then I turn each piece and dry the other side.
Once you are satisfied with the feel of your eggs store them in a large NEW rubbermaid with a very good supply of BORAX, they should be nice and dry in the BORAX and not turning the BORAX to wet powder.
This I will keep in the bait fridge for a few weeks while I use the eggs.
If you cannot use them all quickly you will need to freeze them.

For freezing the eggs, get some unused canning jars, fill each jar about 3/4 full of eggs and BORAX mix and place a candle in the jar, now light the candle and quickly screw the lid shut. The top should suck down and pop, showing it has sealed.
Now mark the jar with date and cure and place in freezer. These eggs should be good for 2 years in this state.

Now with your bowl of cure, take a few big bags of raw peeled prawns, cut into small pieces about the size of a finger nail and soak the prawns for 6 hours. These prawns are then placed on the hook tip of JIGS to increase your success and allow BAIT ADDICTS to overcome the transition of fishing only fur and feathers for Salmon and steelhead :thumbup:.

Bent Rods and Tight Lines.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Nice. :thumbup: I will definately try this the next time I get some fresh roe. Thanks a lot. ;D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
i might be young but my mind works old school, nothing is better than plain borax! But the rescipe sounds great and i hope it works for every one!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Here is another wicked all round cure

Go buy some double red hot procure in the shaker. Then I take my roe, I usually cut the skeins into 1/2 " by 1/2" pieces and a ss bowl and begin to layer my chunks sprinkling just enough procure to cover each layer. I'll let it sit for about 40 mins then strain. Dry in a pile of borax and store in ziplock freezer baggies covered in borax. Roe ends up rubbery and lasts forever and milks slowly. Pretty basic but killer on springs, coho, trout.

·
Registered
119 Posts
young gun said:
i might be young but my mind works old school, nothing is better than plain borax! But the rescipe sounds great and i hope it works for every one!
That is so old school......It's OLD SCHOOL. :happy:

You might want to think about adapting your tactics. I think most people quit using that method when they came out with some of the bottle cures, due to effectiveness.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
when ever the powders and colours dont work i alway carry an extra container of the golden stuff. It seemed to work on the 11 out 15 steelies i hooked this year.

·
Banned
279 Posts
When theres vis i always go with ntl borax. THe bright stuff shows up so much better in the colored stuff though. THanks IH ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree with young gun and Birdman. I find straight boraxed roe is very effective for steelies and coho if the water conditions permit. But I will definately be trying this cure. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
419 Posts
I catch alot of fish on that cure been too lazy to consider change, I only use it maybe a dozen times a year. It works, why change. Never used it for steelhead, don't use it for springs any more, mainly coho and trout. Just don't like the mess any more. I found ways to catch fish consistently with artificials. But I will try this cure next time I get some eggs to cure. I usually save all my roe for sturgy. :-\

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you fish with straight borax down here you are lowering your chances when you are competing with other cures. The main problem is straight borax will not milk as long as other cured baits. I use Borax, but as a part of my curing process. I will take my cure over straight borax any day of the week, no matter what the conditions are. Down here it will outperform time after time. I know there are some very different styles up there, maybe the fish haven't seen as much as they have down here.

·
Banned
279 Posts
I dont think there is one cure that outperforms them all. It's a matter of getting whatever you have to offer infront of their face before anyone else does. If your the first person to put whatever your using through steelhead, you will probably hook up. Once the fish have been pressured then those different cures and presentations will produce. I think the most important thing when steelheadomh is to fish what you have confidence in, not osmeone else.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Ok steelhead and salmon both feed in fresh water.(yes i know salmon aren't supposed to but i've come to a conclusion that they do, because if u've ever run a marathon,triatholon, or even the sun run u need some sort of nurishment or else ur just not gonna make it) and when they first enter a system they will eat just about anything. And the reason roe works so well is that its an imprinted reaction of what they used to feed on as juvinilles. But why normal borax roe works so well for me and many others is i dont like fishing with other people other than my partner. I would rather hike a 2 miles to a spot than fish in a stacked one with other guys fishing shoulder to shoulder. What i'm getting at is fish that don't get pressured will still taste/bite just about everything even if they've been in the river for a while. so if it means instead of hitting the vedder u go to the chehalis or allouette then so be it. But i'd gladly have biting fish than a ton of non-biting fish. But also natural works better than the bright flashy brined up baits is because at sea salmon have so much room to move around, but when they get into the river they are really spooky at first until they get used to their surroundings. So what u are trying to do is get the attention of a fish without spooking it, so u must tone down the size and colour of your offering. Sure when the rivers rise up and we get the steelhead green basically anything works, but when u get the low flow situations we've been getting the past couple years it pays of to tone down a notch, unless u want to be playing a million chum a day and nothing else!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Nice recipe! you know I have experimented with cures for a few years now and have come up with my own sort of method that no fish can ressist. A few of our fellow anglers can attess to this . I find that the only naturallly boraxed roe that kills is steelie roe otherwise I use natural coloured cures.It looks just like plain boraxed but is much better and lasts longer.

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put this thread up to give anglers a proven cure for Chinook fishing, not create a chest pounding debate on what the best cure is.

Use it if you like, if not, do we need to hear about how your cure is better ?.

Heavily colored and flavoured cures are being used by proffessional guides from California to Alaska, do these guys have it all wrong ?.

I make no claims my cure is best, it took hundreds of Chinook last year so I find it to be a good one, it milks heavy, looks great in the colored Fraser and other rivers and has a taste that Chinooks will not let go of.

As for what roe to use for Steelhead, those fish are stoopid and will take any roe , including gas station crap.
Roe is not even needed to catch Steelhead, if you are reliant on roe and eggs, then technique is the skill to work on not curing procedures :p.

Heres a sample of what good roe can do on the Fraser, NOT caught plunking(bar fishing), I'll let you figure out our technique.

When it comes to Chinook fishing, good eggs can be deadly, were talking BIG rivers here and quality eggs are the KEY. We use fist size hunks and consider flavour of utmost importance, as these fish mouth the eggs for 10 - 15 seconds before the rod plunges under.

I hope this cure can help a few guys get some fish, that was the point. :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts