BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took up building custom rods, and decided that my latest build would be a rod for my neice.
She lives in Kamloops and my brother takes his kids out to the local lakes quite frequently, either still fishing from shore, or trolling very light gear.
I wanted to build a rod that she could also use for tossing spoons to Pink Salmon, so I chose a fast action, medium-light power 7' rod blank. She wanted a lime green rod, but I was unable to find a lime green 2pc blank, so I started with a Matrix Green blank and used a bright neon green thread / lime green metallic thread combination for the wraps. She chose the name "Green Jelly Bean", and the logo also incorporates her name and a description of the rod.
The rod also uses the New Guide Concept for guide sizing and spacing - in a store bought spinning rod the guides form a cone from spool to tip, but in NGC the cone is only from the spool through the first 3 guides, then the remaining guides are small and the same size.
I did some test casting and was able to cast a 1/4oz spoon 120+ feet with ease using 8lb test.
I hope she likes it.

gjb_final.jpg handle.jpg moose.jpg ferrule2.jpg tiptop.jpg

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Very cool. Now, if only that thread glowed in the dark (though it doesn't really have to lol).
How did you do the name? was that done on computer and if so what was it printed on? (I know there's some decal stuff you can use)
OR... Is that actual free-hand?
(P.S. I think this should be in rod wraps)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know there was a rod wraps section. Perhaps the mods could move it.
The logo is done on computer and printed on clear waterslide decal using an inkjet printer. This is the same type of decal they use in plastic model kits.
Inkjets (and lasers) don't print white, so you can't just print what you want and put it on a dark blank or it'll be invisible.
You also need to "fix" the decal with some sort of spray acrylic before wetting it since inkjet will just run.
I then put a layer of silver metallic thread as an underwrap, and printed the image in reverse (dark everywhere except what you want to shine through).
Then just cut out the decal, soak in water for 10 seconds, and slide it onto the blank. Once it dries I put accent wraps over the edges just to finish it a bit. So far it has worked out quite well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You bet-cha your niece is going love that custom build spinning rod. I recently got custom build Sage 3106 drift rod done for my son (14yrs old) and he loves the action and power.

Silex-user

1 - 7 of 7 Posts