BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Thanks for the info. Went out to take a look today and the river is low and clear again. Need colder temps and more rain! Saw a few out there but nothing signifigant!

Hotrod

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Depending on water levels, fish will come in piecemeal on the high tides quite regularly from here on in. First Nations do have their weirs up in the usual place, but as always, they will let a few through regularly, and some will sneak by on their own.

Look for the next bump in river levels, and fish the high tides through the lower river.

Not implying either of you don't know this already, but for anyone who doesn't know, there are a few regs specific to this river that everyone should know about.

• Bait ban until Oct 31st.
  • Hatchery marked coho only, 4 per day
  • 4 Chinook per day, but only one over 62 cm

Please keep this in mind while enjoying this great river, and fish responsibly. All wild coho should be carefully released. Those fall fish were in real trouble there for a few years. The regulations are there for good reasons...

·
Registered
64 Posts
ribwart said:
Depending on water levels, fish will come in piecemeal on the high tides quite regularly from here on in. First Nations do have their weirs up in the usual place, but as always, they will let a few through regularly, and some will sneak by on their own.

Look for the next bump in river levels, and fish the high tides through the lower river.

Not implying either of you don't know this already, but for anyone who doesn't know, there are a few regs specific to this river that everyone should know about.

• Bait ban until Oct 31st.
  • Hatchery marked fish only, 4 per day
^^^^^^^^--- please remember there is a size restriction^^^^^^^.......
  • 4 Chinook per day, but only one over 62 cm

Please keep this in mind while enjoying this great river, and fish responsibly. All wild coho should be carefully released. Those fall fish were in real trouble there for a few years. The regulations are there for good reasons...

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
LoL evan... :eek:

Is this a trend you are trying to start here...?
Are the members going to start editing the Moderators posts now...? :eek: ;D
What you should have edited was the second regulation I posted...I've done so now, maybe you can spot the difference...

Coho Cody... Yes, there is a size restriction for Chinook year round on the Capilano...as far as the freshwater salmon supplement states anyways....only one over 62 cm. If you can show me otherwise, send me a pm with the details and I'd be happy to eat my words in the interest of getting the right information out there...

Capilano_Slayer...Yes, There is a 30 cm restriction on Coho, but that expired August 31st. Now, it is as stated above...

Now that everyone has the facts, bring on the fish...!

Thanks for the info Ninja...

:cheers:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I'd give a little tip to those wanting variety in what they fish...because a little variety works... ;)

Instead of just varying the colors of wool you use, try using 2 or 3 items that are drastically different.

I.e. Wool ties, whatever variations of color you use, all have the same shape and movement...right...?

Fish a blade, like a colorado in a couple sizes, then have a few jigs in various colors and sizes, and then bring some wool along as well...these are just examples, there are many other choices. You get the idea...

Each has it's own particular appeal, and, have been known to work really well while the other items aren't so why not vary it up...?

Particularly when you are fishing a bait ban river. Why wouldn't you learn to fish a lot of different terminal items well...? Seems a no brainer to me.

I'm not trying to say you guys don't or can't properly fish other items than wool, not at all. I'm sure you do, and can, quite well. I just think if any novice fishers were to read several, if not many accounts of, "...I caught it on pink and peach wool..." over the course of a season, they might go to any of our local rivers with wool ties on the hook, and no idea how to fish them except by the example they witness out there...I'm sure many of you know from experience how at times that "example" could be a poor one at best...

I split this topic in half because it degraded to something we don't want to see here on the site, those involved will be contacted. Please take my contribution above as an expression of my interest in continuing the original discussion, and keeping it on track.

rib

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was hoping to take my new fly rod out to the capilano tomorrow, so I guess that the lower river at high tide is my best bet. Does anyone know which part would be fly fish friendly? North van or West Van side? Thanks :cheers:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Went for a walk with the girlfriend today down by the First nations weirs...

Low water, high tide...no big schools of fish congregating yet, but we did watch one nice ****** about 12 lbs swimming around in circles just on the safe side of the weirs...

The water is far too low for that doe to get up river, the bottleneck at the SWmarine drive bridge also has weirs and must be too tight for them, but soon enough, they'll be getting through in numbers...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.