BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dad had a 6hp Johnson sea Horse he hadn't used for many years. He gave it to me about 10 years ago. I never used it. I just bought a boat with a mount so I hooked it on last week and within 10 minutes had it running. Only one water intake on the leg, ear muffs on and it was spitting a bit of water trying to pee then it just stopped. I placed it in a bucket of water to try that and no luck. The exit pee tube is attached to a flat plate (4"x4") mounted to the side of the motor. I thought I would take it off and see what was inside but stopped thinking I make wreck something.
Anyone have any words of advice on what I should check. :confused:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I'm currently using an old Johnson 6 HP 2 stroke...and it's been a great motor so far. If the motor is in otherwise good condition, then it would be worthwhile for you to just have the impeller changed as these old motors last a long long time if cared for. The other thing that I had to do to mine is change the prop because the rubber bushing in there shrinks and cracks with age and eventually doesn't maintain enough pressure on the prop shaft causing it to just spin and not produce thrust. That one was a little more expensive to do...otherwise, still runs great. Will probably keep it around even after I pick up my 15 HP 4 stroke for lakes with a HP restriction.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Also to it could be jammed with something inside it all depends where and how it has been stored. No new impeller will fix the problem if some junk is wedged in there. I suggest using an air hose to try to blow it out first.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Family and I are just back from the MX Track in Aggassi. What an awesome day. I hope summer is finally here. Saw a lot of boats on the Fraser on the way out and back. My son and I were torn between riding and fishing. Thanks for the info. Where is the impeller in these. Bottom end or up in the motor. I do have an air compressor and will also try to blow it out as well. I don't think it has a great deal of time on it, and would like to get it running well. Cheap and reliable. It was stored on it's back for all these years.
Thanks again. :beerchug:

·
Registered
220 Posts
The impeller is in the bottom half of the leg of the motor, when you pull the bottom end off the impeller will be inside the water pump. When i changed mine the impeller looked fine but when i put a brand new one it fixed the problem. Also make sure that it goes in the right way, be carefull to check which way the fins on the impeller are pointing when pulling it out

·
Registered
587 Posts
be careful with the compressed air for you can blow hoses, tubes and fittings apart! The trick is to not shove the air nozzel into the "pee" tube just shoot at it and slowly get closer but not right in it. You should get some air out the water intake. Spiders love to leave egg sacks in those passages. If that doesn't do it, it is more than likely the impeller and the worst case is a corrosion plug in the head, the water tube has split or the seal where the water tube enters into the head is bad. Was there water comming out the exhaust when it was running with the muffs on?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.