BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Shimano by far. Very reliable and a nice drag, for the price. The M-1's drag would slip at troll speed so now i use them as bucktail reels

·
Registered
157 Posts
Shimano by far. Very reliable and a nice drag, for the price. The M-1's drag would slip at troll speed so now i use them as bucktail reels
I'd have to agree with Tofinoguy, I've got both kinds, 1older(not one way drag though) Daiwa and 3 of the Shimano GT2000's (all of which I don't use anymore?).....

Want to buy 2 of the GT 2000's??? and I'll give you the Daiwa :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have both of those reels also. The shimano GT 2000 like most everyone has said is a little better for the money. If I were you I would buy the three reels from Hardy boy 44. Rig the two GT 2000's on your favorite rod's and use the Diawa as a back up reel or for a guest reel on your boat. Both those reels are very simple in design and are easy work on if needed. I'm left handed so changed the GT 2000 over for me its really easy to do. Good luck and happy fishing!

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have used both these reels for long periods of time seen many of fish caght on them. i would say if you were going to be useing them a lot the shimano would be the way to go the drags will hold out much longer. However they are not as smooth as the diawas and tend to be a bit sticky. the diawas are excellent for short term or low usage but don't put to much line on them because they will bind up quick. all our lodges currently run diawas and it has seem to put a few extra fish in the boat, but they need constant attention and bareley last a season. so i guess it is what you plan on getting out of your reels. cheers can't wait for the season to get underway.:cheers:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I think everyone has summed them up pretty well.

I ran a Daiwa M-One alongside a Shimano 4000 last summer on the WCVI for a week. Due to the drag issues as noted above I would definitely never buy one. I would take the Shimano 10 times out of 10 over the Daiwa.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments. That said, I was told Daiwa corrected the drag washer problem at the end of last summer. Can any of you that posted a reply confirm that your Daiwa's were refitted with the new carbon fibre washers?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Just talking to a buddy that sells shimano on the island and he tells me that shimano has a huge problem with their new reels. So much so that he does not really want to sell them. He personaly has had more that 6 reels come back in the last 2 weeks. One guy bought 3 and all of them had drag creeping problems. Shimano is frantically working on a fix for these reels.

·
Registered
107 Posts
just got up to the lodge will update on how the new drag washers hold up so fars they seem to be smooth and holding the strain of 15lb balls at decent speeds

·
Registered
578 Posts
I like both reelz each woked great 4 me
one key 2 havin um work to its full potential, store the reel wit the drag loosened the washer lasts longer

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a couple of M-One Plus Daiwa's that are having drag issues after a couple of years of pretty hard use.

Is there a place I can take these to have them restored, or are inexpensive reels like these not worth fixing?

Picked up a new Shimano 4000GT today, looking forward to trying it out.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have read that the drag system on the old M-One was interchangeable with the drag washers on (if I remember correctly) the Shimano 2000GT. That may be possible with the new real as well. Maybe send "Mikes Reel Repairs" an email or give him a call. You may be able to replace them with a more reliable Shimano drag washer system. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a couple of M-One Plus Daiwa's that are having drag issues after a couple of years of pretty hard use.

Is there a place I can take these to have them restored, or are inexpensive reels like these not worth fixing?

I had the same problem with the m-one plus when i first got them. I picked up the carbon washers for it at a reel shop in
abbotsford and they've been running sweet since then. I think it cost 3.50 a set. night and day difference in the drag

·
Registered
708 Posts

call Dave Steele at Highwater Tackle 604-986-3239. He does lots of work like this and should have a bunch of Daiwa drag parts. He knows the daiwa's inside out and should be able to fix them for you while you wait if he is not too busy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have bought repair parts from "Mike's Reel Repair" several times now. They have a great web site with schematics so you can see exactly what you're ordering. Quick ship. good prices.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On a buddy’s recommendation I picked up a few of the Daiwa M-ONE PLUS reels. I made sure the reels I got were fitted with the new carbon fibre washers. Man are these reels sweet, they have a drag range that’s wide and incredibly smooth. So far so good, I look forward to testing them over the summer. Another friend has several of the older M-ONEs and originally tried to sway me away from Daiwa, after giving one of my new reels a try I think his opinion might have been altered

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was about to chuck my Diawas in the trash and try the shimanoos but when I asked Dave at Hi-water tackle he told me to bring in my Diawas cause they had a problem with the washers. I bought them new last spring and after a few times out setting the drag became a major chore cranking and cranking and it still slipping. He took them all apart and put in the new good washers and now they work great!!! Dave swears by the Diawas and uses one himself. I had heard good things about the shimanoos from people but also have heard recently of major problems with brand new ones this year.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just received my new Daiwa M-One Plus from Daiwa 2 weeks ago and wanted to know if it should have the new drag washers?? I purchased it from Marine General in Dulth MN. for $39.00 U.S. Since they had none on hand they had to get a new one from their suppier (Daiwa). For the price I felt I had to give it a try as it is my first mooching reel. Put some 25 lb. Sufix Seige on it last week and it appears to be a well buit reel with a good feel to it. I am looking forward to finding out what it is like to catch a King using a mooching rod and reel. I will be matching it up to a Shimano Convergence 10' 6" MH rod.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I am looking forward to finding out what it is like to catch a King using a mooching rod and reel. .
There are no King salmon in BC. Nor bluebacks, reds or humpies. Only Chinook, Coho, Chum, Pink, Sockeye and Steelhead. ;-) heh heh heh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts