BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody! Can't help it not to share this story with everybody else even though some off you might not want to hear it.I asked for advice the other day where to go fishing for steely closer to bby, and you guys adviced me with a few rivers that are close, so i headed out today.All happy all day is mine, purchased a new reel the other day going to try her out to,but for me when the day starts bad that's how usually it ends to.To start the day off I woke up a little late this mornning but ok.I get to the water around 8:00 am since this is my 3rd time ever fishing for steely I'm all exited, even though it's pissing rain where I was ,but thats ok.To make things worse (I'am embaresed to admit this)I look at the back off my truck I forgot my waders at home ,yu hu! Lucky I at least had my boots, at least something's right.I walk to the spot where i decide to fish,rig up my float since iI don't have experiance whith steely I stuck to the tested I gues pink worm.Start working the deeper water first no luck'after about 30 min. I realise that the water is rising, so I thought that the fish is going to be moving up the river since this is a small river every rise of the water would push the fish up.I then start fihing the tail out of the run.Since I had a feeling ,becouase of the faster water now, that my worm wasen't where I wanted to be,I rig my worm up on a jig head to get a better performance closer to the bottom.And it happened to be that I was right one cast nothing and the next one was a bit farther and just as it was in front of me bobber down hook set and I was on to my first steelhead.Few strong head shakes and up she goes I saw the whole fish nicely,starts going down a bit stop, up and jump again, starts going hard down the river taking lots of line into the fast water and then al the sudden, BUM ,gone.I reel in look at my jig and of course the hook allmost straight.Standing there soken wet to the bone, frozen like a pinguin,I couldn't start doing anything again for about 10 min thinking about the dam cheap JIG heads and their skinny wire hooks that cost me so many trophy fish in my life.But it's not like it's the first time, fished back home with them a lot always same problem the dam skinny hooks.What to say at the end, continued fihing to the end of the day with no luck.But it wasn't all done for the bad day I had,got back to my truck,guess what, flat tire, it just never stops I thoght.This is the end of my sad story finally,but now I got something else going around in my head ,and can't stop thinking about the next one I get, hopefully.I'll have a :) on my face and she will come again.Hope you guys don't mind on the lenght and good luck out there. :thumbup:

· Registered
2,348 Posts
I do not think that is a sad story at all, to hook steel on your third trip ever is fantastic. Many anglers including myself go fishless in their first year of steelheading.

As for forgetting important equipment at home, I do that kind of thing all the time so you are not alone!

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah you can say thtat I guess, I might be lucky after all,the thing that encurages me even more the water I was fishing I was told dosen't get many numbers of steely, so I guess I was lucky.

· Registered
691 Posts
Steelhead on the first outing, I'd say it's all good luck. As far as straigtening yor hook, that's an impressive fish.

Now flattire, that's only bad luck if you didn't have a spare, or 2 flat tires ;)

Seriously, compared to a day at work, not really that bad, cheers on the fish handshake :cheers:

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trust me it doesn't take much to straitn those hooks they are so weak at least the ones I had to be more specific COMPAC 1/8oz No5218R never again,by the way my thrid time out but first time on this water. :thumbup:

· Registered
898 Posts
I say you need to drop the negativity and think positive
I have left waders at home, had flat tire on an outing, lost big fish etc etc
but still always better to be out there fishing than sat at home bored
You will hook into many more,loose many and land many just keep your chin up and enjoy your days out on the water :thumbup:

· Registered
64 Posts
Hey...at least you had your rod and reel and tackle...leaving your rod is a real bummer. As for hooks...no question about Gammy hooks...

I rig my pink worms with them all the time...Octopus 1/0 work great for me...

Always a learning experience and now you must be really keen to bring one of those babies to the beach.

· Registered
844 Posts
Ya man never complain when you are just learning and get a hookup with a bullet. I was pretty much in the same boat last year and only hooked one fish all season ;) ;) Too bad about the tirte though. good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.