BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make a realistic Darner nymph and need some advise on materials.
When making the abdomen it needs to be "football shaped",best description I have, but also flatter on the top and bottom.
I thought of foam along the sides of the hook to do this but can't find the right type to use that will not cause the fly to float up.
Then covering that with chenille and then Liquid Lace or Scud Back.
Any suggestions??? :confused:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nothing wrong the foam floating your fly up a bit. In fact there are numerous patterns intended to be fished on a type 3 or quicker, let it sink right to the bottom and begin your retrieve. The flotation will keep your fly just above the weeds which often foul a good looking nymph.

The deer hair gomphus is an old school version, Rowley has a newer version using booby eyes or something of the sort (can't remember what is called although I have a few in the box).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree completely with Lastcar on this. The buoyant fly/sinking line trick works really well for dragonfly nymphs and shrimp patterns. If the flies are buoyant, they will tend to dive when you strip them in and bob back up when you stop. I would think your foam underbody idea for the Darner's would work just fine.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Here is a (Crystal Dragon) Darner pattern I developed last year, and it has proven to be one of my go to nymph patterns fishing off of weed beds, and along the lake bottom, using a slow figure 8 retrieve. Super easy to tie on a curved nymph hook. Crystal Chenille and regular Chenille, Pheasant fibers, and bead eyes.

Finder ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys.
I just got back from Mexico so I haven't kept up to date.
I'll try to tie a few up and if they look half decent I'll post a pic or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.