BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: June 25th/2008.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: [email protected] Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

I didn't bother sending out a newsletter in early June, as there wasn't too much to report. We began to experience the usual June slow down in our local waters. There was some decent action off Grace Islands and Salmon Rk. during the end of May and early June, but you really had to work at it to get a shot at a fish or two each day. Typical fishing for June.

Of course this is why I try to concentrate my efforts over off Gabriola Island from late May until at least mid-July - the peak timing for this area. After an initial stretch of pretty hot fishing off Gabriola around the May long weekend, the action even slowed over there for a couple weeks. We were still getting fish any time I went over, but the action definitely wasn't hot by any stretch of the imagination during early June. That definitely seems to have changed again during the past week. We had been hearing reports of good fishing further up the Eastern shoreline of Vancouver Island, and after 3 or 4 days of strong NW winds during the middle of June, we started to see the numbers of fish off Gabriola improve again. I finally had the calm water necessary to make a trip over there on Wednesday afternoon (June 18th), and boy was it a good decision. After losing our first fish at the boat (mid-teens), we went 5 for 5 with all fish weighing between 11.5 and 14.5 lbs, and I'm sure we would have got that last fish boated if we had a bit more time. An excellent afternoon for the 3 anglers I had aboard. The Gulf Islands typically produce "reds" at this time of year, and while all our fish were in the low teens the previous days produced several fish weighing up into the low 20's. There is always the possibility of some topping 30, and we already came close to that on May 20th when we kept a limit of 4 fish.....two over 20 with the largest weighing 28 lbs!

I would expect that I will continue to take extended trips (7 hours or longer) over to the Gulf Islands for at least the next month if we have calm enough conditions. Last summer we found the excellent fishing off Gabriola continued right until late August, and I see no reason why it wond continue again this summer. While most of the coast is expected to have poor returns of 4 and 5 year of Chinook, we generally encounter 3 year fish in Georgia Strait for most of the summer, and fish from that brood year encountered excellent survival conditions when they hit the ocean in the spring of 2006. This is backed up by the huge numbers of mature "Jacks" we encountered last summer (mature 2-year-old male Chinook) in Howe Sound and off Gabriola last summer. THe action slowed a bit again this past weekend, but there is absolutely tons of bait holding off Eastern Gabriolaand Thrasher Rk., so any Chinook migrating along that shoreline will likely stop to feed for a bit, and I expect the action to quickly pick up again.....in fact any day can produce hot action over there at this time of year. Small spoons trolled just off the bottom are usually the best producers (Army Truck, Paddy Wagon, Nasty Boy, green/glow, Krippled-K), but the Spackleback hootchie was excellent last year and continues to produce this year as well.

In addition, it will be interesting to see if we encounter the same good fishing we had last summer in the lower reaches of Howe Sound in late June and early July. The action was particularly hot around the July 1st long weekend near Hutt Island where anglers were often releasing more than a dozen "Jacks" in between landing a few larger fish between 10 and 30 lbs. These was obviously the main portion of the Squamish run on its way into Howe Sound, as most of the legal fish were typical "Squamish whites". We did see a few teenager whites around Grace Islands in late May, but most of the fish taken in lower Howe Sound during the spring were "reds", so we have yet to see most of the Squamish run arrive. It should be within the next two or 3 weeks, as they are usually in Howe Sound by early July. Spoons, hootchies, and anchovies from 75 to 130 feet should be most productive.

July should also bring us the start of the Capilano Coho fishery off the shores of West Vancouver, and it will be interesting to see how this year's run materializes. While trolling for them is usually the most productive method used to catch them, I also have a few days each summer where we are able to cast to them successfully with light "trout" gear. This is a lot of fun, and the Coho are able to put up quite a scrap when hooked on a light weight casting rod.

Of course fuel prices continue to rise dramatically (we are now about 1.56/litre at our gas pump). Charter rates have not risen accordingly as of this time, but we are talking about raising them by another $25 for the base 5 hour trip (we were suppose to do this once gat hit 1.50/litre). Currently the base 5 hour charter rate is $475.00 + GST for "up to" 3 people, and $500.00 + GST if there are 4 people in your group. Additional hours are $85.00 + GST. It is unfortunate that we need to raise rates, but when you burn about 60 litres per hour when running, gas prices are a HUGE factor.

If you are interested in doing a charter I already have several bookings during the next two or three weeks as well as other commitments, but I do still have quite a few open days. It looks as if we are going to have a pretty decent stretch of weather during the next week, and conditions are presently calm, so it is possible the winds will stay away on most days. At present I still have the following open days during the next couple weeks: Thur. June 26th, Fri. June 27th, Sat. June 28th, Sun. June 29th, Thur. July 3rd. I am scheduled to have my kids for the weekend of July 4th through 7th so I would not be available for charters, but this may change in the next couple days (I may get them the 7th through 9th). During early July, I am presently open most days.

Lets hope summer finally arrives, and the fishing is good. As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me [email protected]), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines, and Best wishes
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
[email protected]
(604) 329 - 8642

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.