BC Fishing Reports banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting you mention electric reels. I looked at them when I started researching deep drop gear then wondered, are they legal? I checked the regs and they seemed to be, but I thought I remembered that they wern't. I checked with DFO and they are legal and become so when the ban on electric down riggers was dumped. Check out the Tanacom Bull line from Diawa.

·
Retired Administrator
4,449 Posts
'till then it's cheating to me.
Unless you are physically disabled or have suffered paralysis. These reels provide lots of fishing enjoyment for those who are not able to reel but still able to hold a rod.

·
Registered
335 Posts
you only need electric reels if you are fishing 1500 ft or more, suck it up and be a man use your muscles, we don't have anything that deep around here worth keeping or killing. Your technique is more designed for fishing in southern more temperate to tropical waters where you have viable fish throughout the water column, I mean by all means "knock yourself out" but if it was really a productive way of fishing around here dont you think everyone would be doing it instead of trolling around wasting gas or anchoring for halibut

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Lingking... I really liked that you provided info re: areas open for retention to limit impact on bringing fish up from such depths, etc, but upon a cursory search of lingcod and rockfish openings through area 17 I find that they closed for retention in Oct/11 until further notice.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x..._notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=136221&ID=recreational

Granted I haven't fish the salt seriously now since the '90's and didn't do a complete search of the regs...and you mention something about an opening May 1st, but I am unable to find that either.

Can you provide more info for those who might be reading this thread and suddenly getting ideas? It might otherwise be the responsible thing to do to clarify for the readers.

(Still very much appreciate the contribution and that it was well intentioned)

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm forever the hopeful optimist and I'm assuming that Lingcod and rockfish will open in area 17 starting May 1st, as it has for the last four or five years. Lingcod were closed in the SOG until about eight or ten years ago. The closure really got me going as I was catching more lingcod then, than ever before, and couldn't understand the closure. As a result I became seriously involved with the SFAB to object to the closure, became involved in the lingcod management strategy committee with DFO, and after about two years of meetings, innumerable modelling exercises, and an extensive review of creel survey abundance estimates and historical commercial landings we "won" and ling cod and rockfish opened on June 1st and closed on September 30th. Since then DFO has extended the opening to May 1st, possibly because they began to recognize the abundance of lingcod in SOG, in all areas except 29, and because the rockfish conservation areas were established to protect the rockies should they beccome bycatch for lingcod fishers.

All that said, I strongly suspect that lingcod and rockfish will open in SOG on May 1st and I appologize if my assumptions on the matter put ideas in other's heads. Keep an eye on the DFO fishery notice reports to see when the openings start.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
you only need electric reels if you are fishing 1500 ft or more, suck it up and be a man use your muscles, we don't have anything that deep around here worth keeping or killing. Your technique is more designed for fishing in southern more temperate to tropical waters where you have viable fish throughout the water column, I mean by all means "knock yourself out" but if it was really a productive way of fishing around here dont you think everyone would be doing it instead of trolling around wasting gas or anchoring for halibut

Not really sure if you're referring to me or Lingking, but if it's me then my answer would have to be no. I tried to find out if anybody does this or has even really tried it, hence this thread. Again, my point was really the viability of this technique, not "deep" water fish, again, sorry if that phrase screwed up my point. That said, to this point, not one person has said they do it, have tried it or even knows someone who has tried it. All I really wanted was info on peoples experiences doing this here......... to this point not one person can honestly tell me this wont work here based on facts or experience.

I love trying new stuff and being a little different, and if this works, I will most certainly post up some results!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
you only need electric reels if you are fishing 1500 ft or more, suck it up and be a man use your muscles, we don't have anything that deep around here worth keeping or killing.
What if you are a woman? Or a child? Or only have one arm?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
What if you are a woman? Or a child? Or only have one arm?
Then go fresh water fishing LMAO
LoL...now that's funny Ofishal...just a quick point here, I fished the saltchuck seriously for many years and although I do so now only occasionally, and primarily fish freshwater instead, it is a lot easier for anyone to sit and fish out of a boat in the ocean than it is for them to fish freshwater and be successful...regardless of age or gender. Not to mention they would still have to be able to reel in.

Funny that electric reels were invented for the ocean isn't it...??? :D

You guys have it easy out there by comparison, LMAO...:p ;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
it is a lot easier for anyone to sit and fish out of a boat in the ocean than it is for them to fish freshwater and be successful...regardless of age or gender. Not to mention they would still have to be able to reel in.

You guys have it easy out there by comparison, LMAO...

Whoa, whoa, whoa there Ribby. :p

Have you seen how big the ocean is compared to a river? We don't have the luxury of ALL the fish condensed into one little teeny weeny flow of water to help ENSURE success. ::)

Add to that....fishing in said "condensed flow of water" which is teeming with fish....some say you can occasionally walk across the backs of the fish they are so thick....where the "strategy" is to chuck a hunk of lead with a little spin n' glo trailing it and then place the rod in it's holder with a little bell, while you sit back on a lawn chair.....illustrates what is the easiest way to fish "and be successful." ;)

Heck....you don't even need a mode of transportation to do that...you're biggest challenge of the day could be figuring out the transit schedule to get you to the "flow". :peace:

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
LoL...:eek: Have you ever tried to cast one of those bar rods...? ;)

I'd rather steer the boat, make sure I didn't spill my drink, and drop the downriggers, (back in the day when they weren't electric), while manoevering through the crowd off the mouth of the cap...
;) LoL!

Hahaha...
"For SERIOUS Fishing...REEL POWER!!!!" :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXJ50OvHbhE

:p:p

But seriously now...Rowdy, I cannot see how this technique you suggest wouldn't work. It isn't much different than mooching live herring or jigging for salmon, or bottom fishing for lingcod which I agree with Lingking, used to be very good way back when and is lots of fun. It will probably be the locations you choose to do so that will determine if it is effective or not.

It's just the extreme depths you suggested...As was mentioned previously I would think one would have to be fairly conscious in their decision of where to fish so as not to harm certain species/stocks and be well aware of which could survive the ride up and which could not.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not really sure if you're referring to me or Lingking, but if it's me then my answer would have to be no. I tried to find out if anybody does this or has even really tried it, hence this thread. Again, my point was really the viability of this technique, not "deep" water fish, again, sorry if that phrase screwed up my point. That said, to this point, not one person has said they do it, have tried it or even knows someone who has tried it. All I really wanted was info on peoples experiences doing this here......... to this point not one person can honestly tell me this wont work here based on facts or experience.

I love trying new stuff and being a little different, and if this works, I will most certainly post up some results!
Did you ever try? Pull up anything interesting?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts