BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a Pike Minnow????????
Can some one clear this up for me? I have lived near the vedder all my life, been fishing the fraser for 20 plus years. Over the last few years that name has been coming up more often. I know the vedder has trout,whitefish,suckers, and squaws year round. In the late spring we used to go to the pumphouse and hook into litterally dozens and dozens in a afternoon. If pike minnows are in fact a politically correct name for the fish,how does the pike part of the name relate to the fish?
Crazy D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Some Aboriginal groups through out "British Columbia" did not like that we were calling a fish squaw....I do believe it is a native name for something....don't know what...but that is why they are called pike minnows now.....also gives it the name for some local guides to do guiding trips for "Pike Minnows" ;D (its true I saw it advertised) overall the name sounds a little bit more respectable!

Mike <"))))))><

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
well not to be harsh or racist or anything

but i heard the Squaw was a slang and very mean name for a native woman

can anyone tell me if thats true as it was a native friend of mine that told me however this was many years ago

tight lines

HOOK

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for clearing it up. I still cant see why they were named pike minnows? Are they any realtion to northerns or musky's? When you say pike minnow that's the first image to mind. Are the ones we see in the lakes and rivers down here smaller versions could there be larger ones in say the Fraser?? ::)
CrazyD

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Oh there is monster pike minnows in the Fraser man, while gutting fish I saw a few that looked like fat footballs, around 10 pounds or so, maybe bigger......big round ugly silvery yellow fish with huge round sucker mouths.....I can think of something to use them for too.... ;)

Mike <"))))))><

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Where did the posts from YESTERDAY go!!!!???????!!!!!!!??????? ???

Mike <"))))))><

·
Registered
167 Posts
I noticed that too. I was saying yesterday before the board blew up that there seems to be some closet pike minnoweans out there!
Long live the PM!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'll openly admit that I fish for them ;D Always willing to bite, (even flys), and they get to a large size :D

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
In the US there is a bounty per quota. Some people make a good living exterminating this species.
Just to add over half a million were caulled in Cultis Lake alone to make room for sockeye and other
native fish... :(.....Marko... :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I read an article in a fishing magazine about 2 guys in the states who fished full time for pike minnow. I believe they earned $32 000 and $36 000 US if my memory is correct. I tried to find out if there was something like that going on up here, but I couldn't find anything. I know there used to be, but not anymore I suppose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts