BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to fish Fawn lae for rainbows on May 13, had the wrong boat with no electric motor so we did not launch. Watch a few guys in float tubes hook into a number of fish just to the right of the launch in the 10 minutes we watched them.
Then headed to Bridge lake try and troll up a few kokanees but after a couple of hours dragging the UV Rooster trolls and Silver Magics around ...nothing. Saw a couple of other boats doing the same, poor.
So we put the tub back onto the trailer and headed over to Deka lake looking for it's triploid kokanees that should be pushing 3lbs or more this year. After dragging around the same gear tipped with Berkely Gulp maggots in chartruese and pink we ended up boating 8 lake trout from 2 to 4 pounds, lost a couple on kokanee king spoons but could not get a kokanee.
Relaxing day in the end but no tastey kokanees caught.

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Sounds like your day ending on a positive. I have never used Gulp maggots for Kokanee just the real ones. Do they work and are the colors combined or did you use two separate maggots on the hook - one green and the other pink.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the Gulp maggots work well, last year year some days the kokanee would only bite the lures when rigged with pink other days it was chartruese ones that worked. For the $6.00 cost you get a pile of the things and if the jar is kept sealed, they last forever. You can catch multiple fish on one maggot. Another interesting note is some days the willowleaf type trolls out fished small trout dodgers and once again dodgers worked better some days. We always start out with one trout dodger on one line and a willowleaf (Yakima Rooster troll) on the other and the same with the Gulp maggots. UV dodgers and trolls seem to work better than regular ones but if all you put out is uv colored it's all that's going to work. One a pattern starts, all the gear was changed over to it. Fun part about it, is it's a very low key, laugh, drink and relax day sort of fishing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I fished Bridge this weekend, it was slow. Caught a nice 2.5 Lb Kokanee in the first 15 mins of lines being wet. Turned out to just be a teaser though, cause all I got after that was C & R lakers (on Bridge).

However I put my fishing Kayak into Matchete Lake, limited out in no time, Black and flesh colored friskkie flies or dragging a black leach pattern. That lake was a hoot. The owner of the Bridge LK store was saying that all the smaller lakes are producing right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts