SIZE: 1153.8 ha.
ELEVATION: 1111 m
MEAN DEPTH: 21.6 m.
MAX DEPTH: 101.2 m
SHOAL AREA:
WAY POINT:
T.D.S: 329
PH: 8.7

FISH SPECIES & CATCH AVERAGE - Kokanee (1 pound plus), Lake Trout, Rainbow Trout

Non-sport fish- Largescale Sucker, Longnose Sucker, Northern Pikeminnow (formerly N. Squawfish), Peamouth Chub, Redside Shiner

GEAR TYPE: All

ACCESS & FACILITES: There is a resort, Deka Lake resort and numerous access roads but no “free” camping.

LAKE DISCRIPTION: This large lake is devided into 3 distinct areas; the southern end which is ringed with cabins and year round residences, the middle “narrows” which is one big shoal averaging about 8 feet deep, and the remote northern section with depths of up to 320 feet!

Deka is quickly becoming the ‘it’ lake for Kokanee fishers in the 100 Mile area. The koks grow big and are not to hard to fool, most kokanee lures will catch a few with small orange bodied and white bladed spin’n’glo’s being one of the better lures. Dodgers will out perform most attractors with the newer small flashers in glo scale quickly proving there worth. The kokanee fishing can be very good in the southern part of the lake about 75 meters off the south shore between the last two access roads, typically the kokanee are between 25 and 45 feet deep most of the year at Deka.

The northern end is were you go it your after lakers, although lots of the locals are of the opinion that kokanee fishing is better there as well. An opinon I don’t share. The lakers of Deka are like lakers almost any where AGGRESSIVE although the larger ones must be worked for. There are some amazing drop offs along the western shore line were predatory lake trout are just waiting for your offering.

I must admit I have yet to target the Bows here, which grow to very respectable sizes, as the draw of 5 pound Kok’s is just too much for me to resist.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Rainbows at Deka

I have found some good rainbow fly fishing just through the narrows and about 3-400 yard up the right shore. I think it is about the 3rd or 4th point. There was a well defined log that sticks up out of the water but that was 2 years ago. The bows are VERY tasty from there and dark red meat. The biggest I caught was close to 4lb's but very good. Also another good spot is along the left shore just past the narrows. It all depends on how aggressive the Lakers are as to how deep the rainbows are in. I have caught lots of bows in 4-7 feet of water. Just past the narrows and straight in the middle about 200 yards is a very weedy shoal that is loaded with Lakers. If you drag a dragon around in there you catch as many as you want. Lots of fun and in the 2-4lb range. A fresh small laker is VERY tasty. I have GPS waypoints and track routes for that lake if anyone is interested. I definitely want to hit that lake around fathers day week/end. PM if need more info.

Cheers, Rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never targeted the lakers but they are almost a pest sometimes if your after koks. The biggest laker I have caught in Deka was only around 3 lbs but as I said I was fishing for Koks. Marsman might have more insite. Cheers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
ceniak said:
Awesome tips, have either of you tried rigging deep for the lakers?? Say 70 or 80ft.
Only tried a couple of times for decent lakers using buzz bombs. Worked pretty good but nothing over 5-6lb's. I catch all my 2-4lb lakers on the fly. Mainly with a dragon and trolling around weed beds. You don't want to keep a big laker due to the mercury and toxins as they are around 100 years old. Seen one in Bridge come in to shore that must of been 20+lb's. The best eating are the small ones fresh. You do not want to freeze them as they taste yucky after thrawing. There is NOTHING like catching Kok's on a 5 weight fly. Incredible fun. Looking forward to trying again this year at the end of May.

Cheers, Rob

PS: That big laker had a 1-1.5lb kok in it's belly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
kokanee king said:
Excellent! Info Rob, I might even give the Bows a go this year (if the kok fishing is slow) Cheers.
Forgot to tell you I have done well dry fly fishing the 3rd week of July and the fish were nice and firm/tasty. I had one jump right over the boat and into the water on the other side. Great jumpers there.

The hardest part to Kok's on the fly is finding them. Because you are going so slow it takes a long time to cover water. Once you find a shoal they like it improves greatly like at Sulph. Sulph can be good but it all depends on how hard the Ice fishing pressure is from what I am told.

·
Banned
187 Posts
Love getting koks on the fly rods, they take great runs. expecially in the 2.5-3 pound mark. I have tried to go for laker my self, getting a 8 pounder and a 10 pounder(not caught by me) But last summer up in 100 mile house area i was fishing koks and hit a lof of a fish, 15 pound laker HUGE fish, but it wouldnt fit in the net so when it plunked out i lost it. But i think the best game fish on a 5-6wt fly rod is a 2.5 pound kokanee, great scrapers. I find lakers dont fight all that much, Kinda like a log.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cohokid, Were you getting the Kok's on the fly in Deka. Did you just troll around till you find them or is there a couple of shoals you found where they hang out? What fly worked the best for you there? I'm planning on trying an orange skud (works in Wood Lake) and a maggot or small piece of white corn. An egg n eye might be the ticket also.

Cheers, Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts