BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm leaving on a 10 day fishing trip (can hardly wait) this Friday (the 12th). I have 3 specific "destinations" in mind, and was wondering if anyone had any recent information about any of them, in terms of snow on the roads, ice-off/turnover conditions, or fishing reports. We won't be going to all 3 destinations, but I'm, hoping to hit at least two of them. My choice may depend (in part) on the information I receive from this thread.

So,

Option #1: Hwy 33 between Rock Creek and Kelowna. Lakes include: Lassie, Cup, Sandrift, Pete, Taurus (Bull), and Buck. They are all around 1300 metres in elevation.

Option #2: Lakes immediately southeast of Vernon. Lakes include: Dee, Island, Crooked, Doreen, Flyfish (#1 and 2), Aileen, Specs, and Haddo. These lakes are also in the 1200 - 1300 metre elevation.

Option #3: South of Kamloops (Roche lake area): Lakes include: Roche, Ernest, Hosli, Scuitto, and the others in the Roche provincial park. Average 1100 metres.

Our little group enjoys camping at FSR sites because they are generally "less discovered", more remote, quite scenic, and quieter. We have 4x4s with campers, so the really bad roads may be out of the realm of possiblilty, however we're not averse to a little challenge to get somewhere that's worthwhile. We will be fishing out of a 12' aluminum with a minn kota, and/or belly boats.

I'll have to pick the destinations rather quickly (we leave in 4 days) but I just thought someone out there may have been to some of these places recently and have a report that I could use.

Thanks very much in advance for any/all information.

Eddie :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I was up at Roche last Friday and Saturday and it has been fishing slow, everyone I talked to agreed the fishing had not been what it usuallly is....no snow...road was great....

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TheBeliever,

Hopefully things will pick up in that area sooner than later. Any idea when the ice came off?

Thanks

Eddie

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been finding most of the lakes around kelowna over 1000 metres are still iced or not turned over. I am going to stay lower for another week or two.

·
Registered
55 Posts
tried a reply that did'nt register. Anyway I'll try an e-mail
eddie4x4fish said:
Hey all,

I'm leaving on a 10 day fishing trip (can hardly wait) this Friday (the 12th). I have 3 specific "destinations" in mind, and was wondering if anyone had any recent information about any of them, in terms of snow on the roads, ice-off/turnover conditions, or fishing reports. We won't be going to all 3 destinations, but I'm, hoping to hit at least two of them. My choice may depend (in part) on the information I receive from this thread.

So,

Option #1: Hwy 33 between Rock Creek and Kelowna. Lakes include: Lassie, Cup, Sandrift, Pete, Taurus (Bull), and Buck. They are all around 1300 metres in elevation.

Option #2: Lakes immediately southeast of Vernon. Lakes include: Dee, Island, Crooked, Doreen, Flyfish (#1 and 2), Aileen, Specs, and Haddo. These lakes are also in the 1200 - 1300 metre elevation.

Option #3: South of Kamloops (Roche lake area): Lakes include: Roche, Ernest, Hosli, Scuitto, and the others in the Roche provincial park. Average 1100 metres.

Our little group enjoys camping at FSR sites because they are generally "less discovered", more remote, quite scenic, and quieter. We have 4x4s with campers, so the really bad roads may be out of the realm of possiblilty, however we're not averse to a little challenge to get somewhere that's worthwhile. We will be fishing out of a 12' aluminum with a minn kota, and/or belly boats.

I'll have to pick the destinations rather quickly (we leave in 4 days) but I just thought someone out there may have been to some of these places recently and have a report that I could use.

Eddie :lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts
[Could not find an e-mail adress. anyway I'll try another post. I fished up around Kane valley lakes last week and found that alot of the lakes around there including the Pike mountain area were starting to turn. They should be done by mothers day. Big fish in those lakes. good camping in the Pike mountain lakes . Camping limited to harmon and Kane but both lakes provide larger than average fish and are of excellent eating quality. You may go higher if you wish but may find lakes that have been ice free for a few days and just starting or are in the middle of turning. Englishman is always worth a try. Ever fish kump? What about Shea? I usually try to avoid fishing the period from a couple days before full moon to about 4-5 days following as it tends to slow down, but it sounds like you may be in a position to take advantage of an area just as it turns on!! Stay lower than higher. 3500 feet or so,....perfect. Good luck!!quote="eddie4x4fish"]Hey all,

So,

Eddie :lol:[/quote]

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey.

Awesome response Chalupa. Thanks for that. We are actually considering the Kane Valley for the final leg of our journey (May Long weekend). We'er unsure exactly where to stay, but I've heard the same things you mentioned about Harman and Englishman. I've never fished Kump or Shea before. In fact, I only drove the Kane Valley road for the very first time around 3 weeks ago. It is nice in there, but I'm a bit concerned about the easy access. Wondering if it may be a zoo on the long weekend? If I'm not mistaken, Shea has a rec site on it too? Is it nice? There's also Boss, Thala, and Davis up the Voght Valley road in the immediate area too.

2 days and counting before the trip. Gonna be hard to focus on work until then.

So many lakes, so little time......... :wink:

Eddie

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've heard some good things about Scuitto Lake in the past. It's not a very deep lake, so the spring months are the best. Heard that there are some very large bows in there! Leeches and Chironomids in darker colours with some flash...the water colour, I've heard, is quite dark...almost brown.
Cheers! -Nathan in NW

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
hey Eddie 4x4

you should definately try out BOSS LAKE my dad and i went there a couple years back

HAD A BLAST most fish were caught withing about 100feet of the boat launch area

and around 2-3lbs on average however i did get a 8 1/2 lb'er there and a couple in around 5-6

let me know how you do if you decide to try it out

also when i was there we went up to Davis but WAY TO NOISY with all the quads and dirtbikes all the crazies seem to be up there bigger site thats why

the first little lake before BOSS ( not sure of name ) i have heard has some good size trout in it because it isnt super easy to get into or at least when we went in it was all overgrown on the path to the lake

couldnt even get a tube through it :cry:

thanks hope it helps

HOOK

·
Registered
55 Posts
destination for my fishing trip

[I would avoid at all costs the Voght valley road area on the long weekend. I remember a few years back we were trying to camp at Goose lake in the Pike mountain group and could not find a single campsite, not only at Goose but at virtually every lake in the near vicinity as there were about 10 assorted derbies goin on simultaniously. We opted for Harmon and literally had to create our own campsite as it was also packed. No firepit, no picnic table, nothing,........but we were still charged for camping! I would suggest that your group start in that area at the beginning of your trip as there will be few people up at the beginning of the week. End your trip at a more out of the way destination as they are usually less crowded if not downright deserted even on a long weekend. I would give you a number of suggestions but then they might not end up being " Downright deserted " I,m sure that you have a list of your favorites but if you can get my e-mail address from this site I might be pursuaded to mail you back with some interesting options..............as long as you promise to NOT kill'em all!!........Chalupaquote="eddie4x4fish"]Hey.

Awesome response Chalupa. Thanks for that. We are actually considering the Kane Valley for the final leg of our journey (May Long weekend). We'er unsure exactly where to stay, but I've heard the same things you mentioned about Harman and Englishman. I've never fished Kump or Shea before. In fact, I only drove the Kane Valley road for the very first time around 3 weeks ago. It is nice in there, but I'm a bit concerned about the easy access. Wondering if it may be a zoo on the long weekend? If I'm not mistaken, Shea has a rec site on it too? Is it nice? There's also Boss, Thala, and Davis up the Voght Valley road in the immediate area too.

2 days and counting before the trip. Gonna be hard to focus on work until then.

So many lakes, so little time......... :wink:

Eddie[/quote]

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HMMMM,

Hook says Boss, and Chalupa says NO to the Voght. Now what do I do??? :wink:

Nice_One says Scuitto. That, actually was one of the prime ones on my radar, but not sure if we will make it there or not due to time constraints.

We will still most likely save the Coq lakes for the LW because the "women" will be meeting up with us and we want to keep it a bit closer for them. Not so hot on an "enhanced" FS site at Harman with a fee. Didn't know that before this thread. We will most likely stay away if that's the case.

Either way, thanks guys. T-minus 1 1/2 days and counting.................. :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'd like to add to my Scuitto Lake comment with this snippet from the BC Fishing Recreation Guide/Atlas:

Dark shallow lake produces Rbs to 5kg, but the average size is about 2kg. Excellent fly-fishing water which is managed as a QUALITY WATER. Caddis and emerging shrimp patterns work well. Specific Restrictions - Special Rainbow Quota: 2 per day

Cover water! -Cheers! -Nathan in NW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts