BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone been to dewdney slough latley? just wondering on how the water levels are there? at high tide is there enough water to cast spinners and spoons yet? i got some killer looking spoons and spinners i bought off of rodney from fishing with rod and i want to see how they work in dewdney!

C.K.

· Registered
1,437 Posts
Not much water there C.K. ....... at low water there is about 2 feet in the channel at the mouth (to the Fraser). You can walk across the slough just about anywhere you want to.

Not worth the drive for you.

GOFISH 8)

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Another intellectual reply from Lord Sanderson to a simple question....... :roll:

CK...Ya might want to wait a bit for the slough fishery. They're all pretty low right now and are really dependant on a solid amt. of rain....When the rains do arrive, the fishing will dramatically improve...........Ortho 8)

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: OMG Love it Bertoli!!!!!! Love it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't let anyone discourage you CK...asking questions is what it's all about right?

Now that you have mentioned it here...I too am interested in gathering some info on fishing these sloughs....

I have never fished them at all really, except when I was really young, and maybe you or someone else could fill me in on how it compares to my prefered fishing? I tend to prefer rivers and streams with a visible pace of flow that isn't so much dependant on tides etc....any info would be great...is it more of a search out the waters for where they hold, like in rivers, or is it more an effort at attracting them to you? How many of these sloughs are there around the LM? What times of year are best to try em?
Obviously I have loads of questions, unfortunately I don't have much time of late to get out there and figure it out for myself, so I need to do some research before each trip to increase the learning curve so to speak....hopefully some of you guys could help me out?

Thx, in advance, for any info shared...
Rib

Oh, and do you think you could post a couple of pics of those spoons you bought ck? Thx.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Roscoe hit the nail.............sloughs are always a "later fishery" and worth talking about when the action heats up a bit......You need a ton of rain first and a bit of patience but if you want to fish the sloughs in the upper valley, this would be a good time to go out there and do some recon.....principally, what you want to know is where the the deep channels are , and where all the debris is so you don't lose so much gear. There are lots of dry backwater "holes" that will fill up with murky water, but are perfect holding spots for coho and cutties....Scope 'em now, draw some maps and catch lots of fish later....Ortho 8)

· Registered
1,437 Posts
As I said earlier ..... Dewdney Slough is very very low and we need about 3 or 4 days of good rain to change that.

The Vedder ...... well what can one say .... it's the Vedder. More like a fish tank than a river right now.

Try throwing crocs and/or spoons in the Fraser. This can be done at any location with the water as low and clear as it is ...... and I should add it is quite successful. A lot less crowded than the Vedder ....... quite rewarding ....... and hey it's actually fishing.

If you've got a boat the mouth of the Vedder has been quite good in the early hours ......... trolling plugs and backtrolling flatfish seems to be getting more popular. Tossing crocs and spoons for coho/chum/springs and/or bar fishing for springs is quite successful.

A little further up the river (mouth of vedder to Harrison) bar fishing is producing well. There are some nice big whites in there for those that enjoy them.

Best place right now ...... at least my pick ......... the Harrison. Lots of sockeye, loading up with lots of chum, quite a few springs ....... and yes there are even more than a couple of Coho in there for the taking. Many successful methods ....... using jigs, backtrolling, and dangling the fly are my favs. Spoons, Crocs, wool and short floating roe also work well.

GOFISH 8)

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the spinners I was talking about. one of these i'm sure will do the trick on a coho or three! and chum as well i'm sure of it! And the stealth float will replace the drennen once people catch on on how durable they are!

· Banned
2,854 Posts
hey CK

those are some gorgeous lures ya got there

the best way i have found to get those Coho in the slough to hit is with a fly and yes it will out fish a lure in there everytime I swear

i was doing good one day i was there last year and actually had my fly rod snap in half while casting :(:(

good thing they replace those eh :D

HOOK

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the small green spinner had been very good to me so far for coho jacks in the local ditch! and the trout eat em up like it's candy!

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HOOK in november i swear u must take me flyfishing for salmon(coho) to some of your honey holes! i'll bring the beer and whatever else! :D i'm gonna wait a few more weeks b4 i try flyfishing for coho early in the year i want to gear fish until the fish become more elusive!

· Banned
2,854 Posts
hey CK

a good time to get that fly rod wet is now till steelhead end :D

you have to put in the time casting that fly though

if the Coho are around they hit the fly more readily then other presentations

later

HOOK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.