BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully anglers will read this notice and GET IT, DFO is telling you to stop bouncing PERIOD. Full or part river closure is to follow.

At the cost of losing my summer Chinook season I am in favor of a closure at this point.

Once closures become a technique that DFO relies on to control anglers look for many more closures in the future.

A shame so many pig headed anglers cannot understand that it takes years to change regs and re word the reg book LEGALLY. But only minutes to past down a river closure.

I anxiously await the excuses and justification from those that continue to snag fish and come up with stuff like "I'm a selective snagger", " it's legal", "what about the natives".

Anglers were given a chance to show their colors and be the leaders in conservation and compliance and have obviously chosen greed, selfishness and taking advantage of poorly written regs as their CHOICE.

Any whining about a closure will only further show lack of respect for the resource.
Hopefully people will get it and DFO requests can be taken seriously.

Definately some leaders of organizations out there, that might want to rethink their position on "angler access" and the part they play in it.

Heres the E-mail I received, enjoy.

Subject: Recreational Fishery - DFO observations June 30th and July 4th

On June 30 DFO conducted a vessel patrol and spoke to approx 16 vessels (29 anglers) at Grassy Bar, 2 of which were bar fishing, the remaining 14 were bottom bouncing. In addition, there was one person on shore bar fishing.

At Spaghetti Bar 16 vessels were checked, all of which were bottom bouncing.

An additional 9 vessels between Chilliwack and Hope were checked and all of which were bottom bouncing.

In the morning a drive past (by water) Landstrom showed approx 12 to 15 people fishing, all bottom bouncing.

On July 4th AM, 13 anglers were checked and all were bottom bouncing.

Given these reports it is going to be difficult to keep the Chinook directed fishery open. Hopefully the blitz this weekend and an enforcement presence will change some behaviour. If the reports from the w/e are not significantly improved we may be taking action on Monday to either close specific areas or put in place a "no fishing for salmon" restriction.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It would be a shame to see my Barfishing season cut short, but with the lack of complience with the inaitial requests it just might go that way. I do hope that folks can see the course that this is taking. It would be a shame for all those who rely on this fishery as a means to earn their living.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Its too bad the people just don't get it :naughty:There is one thing for sure there will be alot of :'( when the river gets shut down. I sure miss the Bar fishing back in the day :(

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
With much respect for those who have posted on this topic in the past.....Why not just make it illegal to BB and OK to barfish? The chance of hooking a sockeye on a bar rig is slim, and although it does happen it is certainly not anywhere near as likely as with BB 'ing.............I really feel a stand taken now would allow them to reopen later for a sockeye harvest only......then close it once again and allow bar fishing only....We all know how this evolved and now it is being used on other rivers all over the province....I
think it waould be easier to enforce, as the gear is completely different, and certainly does not pose the difficulty of trying to enforce "leader length".....
.Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Close it to all (including FN's) until the first of August. Problem solved, and I will gladly sacrifice the opportunity to fish for springs, (plug pulling, barfing or bouncing) to get the poacher nets out of the water

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hey Ortho that it I think taht is the popular opinion right now on the river. I am curious though as to how hard DFO has advertised the selective fishing methods to the masses.I know that they post it on line, not everyone checks the web. I agree though dont shut down the river just regulate the bouncers. Actually set up regs around it and ENFORCE them. Your right Bent Rod, it would be a damn shame to lose this year on the river not only for you guys at a economic point ,but also for guys like me who plan their year for the next few months of being able to be there at first light, then having a slab just sceam out the line. :thumbup: Lets hope DFO figures out what to do before it shuts er' all down :wallbash::beerchug:
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
694 Posts
Getting info to the masses does seem hard. Maybe if the tackle stores that sell the lisences could take the time to help educate as to the need for checking regs and in-season changes. However, I can see that being difficult as I have witnessed the madness in alot of stores when they get slammed with a mob of folks doing the last minute lisence purchase. Also there are some who love the amount of revenue generated by Bottom bouncing, so why would they try.

Just this weekend I got to try and explain to a fellow why he should read the freshwater regs before exploring new areas for boating, his comment was that he didn't intend on fishing, and there should have been some signs up to tell him that he shouldn't be under the Young street bridge in the Hope river.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Barfing it is then!! ;) So now I have a question..... has anyone ever tried big , and I am talking Sturgeon sized roesacks on the end of a huge spin and glow? Is there any type of a bait ban right now? Cause well, the clarity sucks. Wondering if this would create enough of a scent trail to get some to come take a closer look... ;)

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
eimaj said:
Getting info to the masses does seem hard. Maybe if the tackle stores that sell the lisences could take the time to help educate as to the need for checking regs and in-season changes. However, I can see that being difficult as I have witnessed the madness in alot of stores when they get slammed with a mob of folks doing the last minute lisence purchase. Also there are some who love the amount of revenue generated by Bottom bouncing, so why would they try.

Just this weekend I got to try and explain to a fellow why he should read the freshwater regs before exploring new areas for boating, his comment was that he didn't intend on fishing, and there should have been some signs up to tell him that he shouldn't be under the Young street bridge in the Hope river.
I think the problem is not with getting the word out, the word is there for all to access. It's really a matter of enforcement. If there is enforcement presence on the water, a few fines, confiscated equipment, etc. everyone will be more aware of the regs and will bother to read and likely follow them. Why should anyone care about the regulations if there is no chance they will ever be held accountable. Not my opinion, but a very commonly held one I feel.

·
Registered
694 Posts
This is true Prof. I knda like the way some of the mags would put the names up each month of the top offenders also. Maybe more of that would help :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
DFO needs to sink thier teeth into the matter.Fishing gear is not cheep these days and trying to explain
the added cost to the family funds and lack of beer money when out with your buds would certainly
send a message long over due... :wallbash: Every bar mentioned in the oriional post quoting DFO has
boat access only and,as far as I know,nearly every access point to which a boat can be launched has
more than one set of notices. :confused:

Anyone can see from a mile away what method is being used....Post a black and white announcement,
drive up and down the river a few times and watch the attitudes change before your very eyes........

They are not the only bars in this area and have typically been favoured by BB'ers . If there were reports
on bars like Upper/Lower Wellington,long bar,Englebrich,Island 22,Minto,Mountain,Calamity,Jesperson,Gill,
Ferry Island and Herling, just to name a few,one might find a surpizing responce from the men and women
working the river that day..........

BAR FISHING.....BAR FISHING.....BAR FISHING.....BAR FISHING.....and.... :confused:....BAR FISHING.... :peace:

Marko

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I have heard from several sources recently that a large number of anglers are bottom bouncing various spots on the Fraser, and that fish are being caught regularly. I have no doubts that a good portion of those fish are also sockeye. I would not be surprised if the method choice of these anglers was designed with the likelihood of gettng a few sockeye as well...

There are always going to be those who claim ignorance, are ignorant, or just don't care. I have not so subtlety made my opinion known before this but I will reiterate it here now.

Close the river. Close it during runs that need to be protected and open it when it can be deemed safe to do so. I fully understand the repercussions of such closures on the guiding business, but regretably that is the only way to achieve DFO's goal of protecting certain stocks. It is too easy to lose track of the real goal when you are trying to please everyone.

I like the idea of making bottom bouncing illegal, but have no doubts that DFO hasn't the resources to make such an edict effective just yet. Send a message now, play some hardball and close the fraser to fishing until significant numbers of anglers are busted sitting on the banks claiming they didn't know it was closed...

Then do it again, and again, and again. Keep it closed and keep busting those who ignore any sense of responsibility until they can no longer afford the toilet paper to wipe that "who me?", s**t eating grin of their faces...

My hope is such extreme measures can be avoided, for the sake of those who need to support their families based on this resource, but as I was saying today to a friend, it's going to get shut down if it keeps up. People are bottom bouncing all over the place and my bet is most of them have chosen this technique in hopes they can get some sockeye action too...Integrity seems to be non existent in our sportfisheries...there are far too many people ruining it for a minority that give a damn.

Play some hardball DFO, you have my full support if you finally decide to do so...

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
One other thing I would like to add...

Someone I spoke with recently expressed to me that most anglers with any semblance of experience would not fish unethically or irresponsibly...

I beg to differ, or at least hope that that doesn't get used as an excuse just like all the other rationalizations we as humans use to justify our actions...

I have met and am friends with many anglers whose experience is less established and sometimes downright non-existent, yet they have the presence of mind to consider how, where, why and when they are fishing...they show a scope of thought that reminds me that we can all truly take responsibility for our actions, on the water, and off it...we do in fact have the ability to criticize ourselves before we criticize others, and do so honestly, as long as we can get over our ego's first.

Conversely, I have met and spoken with many anglers who have plenty of experience, and should make sound decisions on how they fish, yet seem not to have the slightest thought at examining their own actions or take responsibility for them. Nor do they take the time to consider the possibility they might be wrong about something. It is human nature, experience has nothing to do with it.

I think it is high time everyone, myself, you, you over there, and you too, all consider how we are fishing, how our friends are fishing, how our family fishes, and how earnest we are in our efforts to actually put our moneys where our mouths are.

rib

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Of the 16 vessels surveyed,how many sockeye were caught and released or foul hooked and released? That would be the number needed to implement anything.

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Of the 16 vessels surveyed,how many sockeye were caught and released or foul hooked and released? That would be the number needed to implement anything.
Please explain what you mean by this statement. :confused:

DFO has asked that no one bottom bounce as it is an unacceptable method when targeting Springs without possibly effecting Sockeye.

Similarly a posted speed limit sign states that you can only drive 100 KMH. Some may still insist on driving 150 KMH in total disregard of the posted limit. When they get "busted for speeding" and ultimately lose their right to drive for 6 months because of repeat offences, I'm sure that person would not have a leg to stand on when stating to the judge "regardless of my speeding how many more accidents were there when I drove at 150 KMH instead of 100 KMH ..... that's what's important here when considering my suspension."

Isn't that what you are asking? If you blatently disregard the notice that doesn't matter ...... what's important is how many Sockeye were caught and released or foul hooked and released.

The bottom line is simple ...... JUST OBEY THE DIRECTIVE .......... ISN'T THAT WHAT MATTERS!!!

GOFISH 8)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Thanks BENT ROD for posting this vital information....

Frick, my chinook fishing season hasn't even started yet (too busy working in the fields), and there is already going to be a closure because of un-ethical YAHOOS! I must say, that if DFO needs to do this, they need to do this....but man, I cannot believe people are not listening to their requests.....what a joke....just total lack of respect to not only a great resource, but an awesome fishery....sad sad sad....

Mike <"))))><

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can you imagine how the guys who formed the FVSS feel after protesting to be allowed a Chinook fishery period back in the 80's. Those same guys fought to have Sockeye opened for fishing and now they watch in horror as everything they have worked for is burnt to the ground by greedy selfish people who have no respect for authority or the resource.

DFO knows full well that snagging is non selectie and that standard Chinook techniques like spin n glos, plugs, spinners and the like are absolutely selective during these water conditions.

I see a spokesman for the SDA is claiming flossing as a selective technique.
This is definately the last straw for me and my support of the SDA, I only wish the SDA was fighting for SPORTSFISHERMAN and not some "MAKE BELIEVE" rights that Canadians are entitled to harvest fish where , when and how they please.
^ This attitude is a big reason why we are now facing a river closure, THANKS for that guys :naughty:.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I believe that bb'ing most definately catches fish but what are the actual numbers that are caught using this method. Do they have any scietific data that it's this method that is part of the decline of the stuart run sockeye.I just find that out of all those vessels in question that they have no proof of any sox caught using this method and if they have no numbers on this then they have no data to back up where they are going with this "selective fishing" Or this is being pushed by a small group of anglers who are against this type of fishing and will use the net as a tool to accomplish thier goal or ridicule those who do use this method,Certainly there are alot of anglers who do not talk about it for fear of internet repercussions from that small group.I would lie to see some scienctific numbers regarding spring and sox caught numbers both bar fing and bb'ing. Just a few thoughts!

Hotrod

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.