BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just saw this on the fisheries & Oceans website:

DFO is preparing a regulatory submission that would make it possible to implement the mandatory use of circle hooks in certain places and at certain times when fishing for salmon. The main cause of mortality in released sport-caught fish is organ and gill damage. This damage occurs when a fish is “deep-hooked,” that is the hook catches in the fish’s gut when it is set by the angler. Circle hooks are a valuable conservation tool in certain fisheries as they are less likely to deep-hook a fish and therefore have a lower post-release mortality rate than traditional J-hooks. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Law/gear_e.htm
DFO's way of not dealing with the real issue?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Could be a way of not dealing with the snagging problem but at least the DFO definition of a circle hook is clearly laid out in their definition "CIRCLE HOOK - a circle hook is one in which the shank, bend and point form an almost enclosed circle, with the tip pointing toward the shaft at roughly 90 degrees. Circle hooks may not be offset more than 10 degrees. The shape of the circle hook makes it difficult for the hook to set except in the fish’s jaw. Should a hook be ingested, it may be drawn back out of the fish’s gut without engaging" By stating what the allowable offset is they have a way of fining those who doctor their circle hooks to be able to continue snagging.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Circle hooks are used extensively in commercial longline fisheries..particularly halibut. They are so effective at 'holding' hooked fish that the IPHC (International Pacific Halibut Commission) had to rework all their historical CPUE data (catch per unit effort) to take into account 'recent' catch data where these hooks are used. They are incredible at holding fish once hooked.

Having said that...the incidence of a fish actually swallowing a hook is more likely a result of hook size rather than the configuration of the shank. If a fish can bite a circle hook, it can certainly be snagged by one too, so that shoots the flossing argument in the foot. I think this is just another smokescreen by DFO at trying to appear to do something. In the long years that I worked for DFO, we called it 'optics'. In other words, just appear that you are doing something. Circle hooks do nothing by themselves. Legislate hook size if you want salmon to stop swallowing them! Circle hooks, not swallowed, will do nothing but increase the catch rate. Sheesh. Now I definitely need another brewski.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
SilverTrout said:
Circle Hooks ehh !!!

So for some poepel that fly/spey only does this mean we have to tie on a circle hook now LOL !!!!!
Doesn't say that does it? Actually doesn't say much. "DFO is preparing a regulatory submission that would make it possible to implement the mandatory use of circle hooks in certain places and at certain times when fishing for salmon."

·
Registered
911 Posts
Who knows maybe this is the first step in some big changes for next year, we'll have to wait and see what anouncements the spring will bring :peace:
CD

·
Registered
612 Posts
If the river fishery goes the same way as last year it won't matter what bloody hook anyone uses...
You'll need a net to fish ..
I'd be real shocked if DFO changes come in by next summer that are common sense, fair to all(not just selected groups) and protect the salmon from over harvesting and wastage after harvest.
For us to expect such huge sweeping changes in one year is a bit much..
Thats like trying to slow down a speeding Kenworth with a Volkswagen Beetle providing the brakes..It just ain't going to happen.
I hold little hope for our river fisheries until ownership of the stocks is finally given to all Canadians not just the select few with race based fisheries.
But, do we really expect anything different in Canada,after all, our politicians all have a rather large politically correct fence post lodged firmly up their collective keesters. :wallbash: ::)
I hope they don't get too many slivers(actually I do) they have caused enough pains in the a$$es of all fishermen,its time they had a few reminders of their failures right where it counts. :pissed:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree with you whole heartedly there Abby, implementing changing the hooks is such a minor change in our fishery it does make one think the powers that be are trying to impress there superiors by saying look we are moving on changes look what we've done already. Does any one know if there are any other systems on the NA west coast that have similar gear restrictions. As we all know changes to other intrest groups is highly unlikely and I agree they definately drag their feet on implementing new rules, but who know maybe they have seen the light and this is the first step to controlling a plague on the river.
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
853 Posts
I use Mustad ultra-point circle hooks this year and i must say they DO work in the river for preventing foul hooking. In my experience the mustad were the only ones that had this effectiveness in preventing the foul hookups though. bought gami's and another brand (cant remember) and they werent nearly as effective when fishing areas with large amounts of fish where foul hooking is almost impossible to avoid. However I do agree that this is not going to get rid of flossing and snagging fish, if you really want to go out and snag fish circles wont prevent it. :mad:

my two bits

happy holidays

·
Registered
954 Posts
Good pics of the available circle hooks out there, I see there is quite a difference depending on the manufacturer. These may be what we'll have to get used to in the very near future especially on the Fraser.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
if you look at those they almost look like they would "increase" hookability when BBing i think they would make it easier because they would stay put for that extra second so you could set the hook :-\ :-\ I guess we will see what happens with this wont we. I kind of hope they dont implement this on smaller flows because I would bet Steelhead would feel this hook before you could set it, and let go. They are crafty and fast feeders

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.