BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I picked up a Diawa Luna today after waiting for it to arrive for the past 6 weeks. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it feels super smooth. Seems to be built extrememly well, as well. I've been told by quite a few people that this reel will put the calcutta to shame. Anyone else heard anything about it? I was a little sceptacle about buying a Diawa, but apparently they are really concentrating on producing high quality fishing gear again. Let me know what you guys have heard.

G

·
0 Posts
Heard the same as you, will be equal to or better than a Calcutta. I also heard that they are coming out with a whole new line of GOOD QUALITY gear.

Mike <")))))><

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I saw this new reel and man is it smoooooth! I'll be getting one for sure when they start making lefties which will arrive at my local tackle store in july.

Hotrod

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
let us no how it works cause ive had my calcutta for 12 years and its still runs great! would be interesting to know

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fished with it for 2 days on the Stamp. Absolutely love it. Casts a mile and the drag is super smooth. I wouldn't hesistate for a minute to buy another one.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
That's it! i'm in for a couple for sure now! thanks rking.

Hotrod

·
Registered
283 Posts
HOw Much$$$

Hey can i get one at high water...Now that my reel is at the bottom of the cap.. (BUGGER) I am in the market for a new one. & whats the price range.. hey can anyone suggest a good reel for cheap. I dont wanna spend a fortune. thanks again

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Luna is around $385. You'll buy 10 cheap reels in the time you buy 1 good one. I'ver gone cheap before and it ends up costing more in the long run.

·
Banned
279 Posts
Re: HOw Much$$$

schlock said:
Hey can i get one at high water...Now that my reel is at the bottom of the cap.. (BUGGER) I am in the market for a new one. & whats the price range.. hey can anyone suggest a good reel for cheap. I dont wanna spend a fortune. thanks again
I wish! Good reels are expensive. You sure get what you pay for.

·
Registered
283 Posts
HOLY

HOLY Crap.. that is pricey WoW i supose yer right. every time i buy a $30 reel it breaks, well i guess its time to start saving. do any of you guys have anything old layin around that ya may wanna part with, I dont need anything fancy just the basic model . thanks for the advice
scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been looking for one of these reels for the last couple of weeks. Does anyone know if they are okay for shore casting in the salt chuck? I heard from a person they are not salt rated. However, I do want to use it for breakwater fishing as well in the rivers. BTW guys you can buy them on ebay for 200usd or at next tag for 220usd.

·
Registered
736 Posts
hotrod said:
I saw this new reel and man is it smoooooth! I'll be getting one for sure when they start making lefties which will arrive at my local tackle store in july.

Hotrod

I have a left handed Luna in my hand right now!! Picked one up today!! Man this is a sweet reel. Hopefully I will be able to make it out soon to try it out!! ;D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use my lowprofile Chronarch (bought in year 1997-8) in both salt and fresh water. The reel is rated for fresh water use only. I rinse it every each time I used it in salt and services and clean it once a year. Up till 2 years ago, I only have light corroison on the ball bearing. If you take your time and learn to take the whole reel apart and clean it yourself, and clean it each time you use it, it will last you years.

BTW, I am still using the same reel this year.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
My 7 year old Abu Garcia 6500 C3 is still silky smooth. Replaced the worm gear 2 years ago and a washer last year. Got it for cheap and it still works great. Getting another one this weekend. Abu Garcia has the experience and the quality why switch? :2cents:

·
Registered
708 Posts
young gun said:
My 7 year old Abu Garcia 6500 C3 is still silky smooth. Replaced the worm gear 2 years ago and a washer last year. Got it for cheap and it still works great. Getting another one this weekend. Abu Garcia has the experience and the quality why switch? :2cents:
not silky smooth compared to a Luna. Advantage with Abu's though will be the ease in getting parts when, not if it breaks down. Would not leave the house with out a spare worm gear and pawl for my 6500c3's or c4's. You can purchase 2 Abu's for the price of 1 Luna and that could also be ok in the long run.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts