BC Fishing Reports banner

Did you post a fishing report?

4K views 38 replies 25 participants last post by  coho_killer 
#1 ·
I have a feeling that the reports I usually read are coming from people relatively new to the forum (including my self). I rarely see reports from the "veterans", with of course some good exception including the moderators and Rick. Am I the only one having this feeling?

G

#2 ·
Is that such a bad thing ??? It's nice to see some fresh perspectives and it's also nice to see "new" members contributing in the report section (meaning they have their 20 posts which were high enough quality to not get removed). I'm sure the "veterans" fish more than they report on, and some of them might just get tired of posting reports and having people prey on that report.

Just my thoughts :beerchug:

#3 ·
ya or some of the "vets" are busy with their family lives and dont have time to report fishing trips or fish for that matter :-\ I hope that my fishing time doesnt get cut back to much come next year O0

G wanna head this week one morning? thats if it DOESNT rain LOL

#4 ·
11th Warrior said:
Is that such a bad thing ??? It's nice to see some fresh perspectives and it's also nice to see "new" members contributing in the report section (meaning they have their 20 posts which were high enough quality to not get removed). I'm sure the "veterans" fish more than they report on, and some of them might just get tired of posting reports and having people prey on that report.

Just my thoughts :beerchug:
of course it is a good thing that new members reports their days. don't get me wrong! it is a great thing. I am "new" too! I meant, it would be nice to have a nice fishing report from one of the veterans once in a while so that we can actually compare our skills with an experienced person.

G

#5 ·
HOOK said:
ya or some of the "vets" are busy with their family lives and dont have time to report fishing trips or fish for that matter :-\ I hope that my fishing time doesnt get cut back to much come next year O0

G wanna head this week one morning? thats if it DOESNT rain LOL
Hook, "new" members it doesn't mean young people by definition. I am a new member but aged a bit with a family as well! :thumbup:
Check my diary and PM you re this week! :beerchug:

G

#6 ·
I still consider myself "new" and I'm definitely not young, lol. I've only posted 2 (maybe 3, can't remember) reports but I've been "out" close to 60 times. I'm going out tomorrow after work but I'm in Nova Scotia, so any reports would be relatively useless, lol.

I agree that the new members posting reports is a GREAT thing!! The more members we have active on the site, the more we can share info, techniques, thoughts, etc. Good post G!!

HOOK, when your little one gets older, there's nothing better than fishing with the kids!!!

#7 ·
You can guarantee that my kid will be fishing along side Dad. i also didnt mean young or old people G

I think the vets here just like to keep things to themselves most of the time so that some of us dont crowd them out of their favourite spots :-\

11th-I would love to see a report from other places around. Im sure all of us would :thumbup: dont be shy and give us the goods and include pics if you got any. Is there a section to put it though :confused:

#8 ·
HOOK said:
11th-I would love to see a report from other places around. Im sure all of us would :thumbup: dont be shy and give us the goods and include pics if you got any. Is there a section to put it though :confused:
There is a forum here entitled Fishing Outside British Columbia
- Angling in Canada
Could be a good place for members to start.

#9 ·
I dont post because I know if I do... people will be on my case and (I have to admit) it does bring out a lot more people. I would rather keep the fish I catch between me and my friends rather than 1000's of people reading these forums. I post reports on water clarity, and that is about it. Only time I think you will see me posting reports is during Steelhead season :cheers:

#11 ·
I rarely post a fishing report this time of year simply because there are already too many people on the river as it is. I have also found that todays fishermen wait for reports and as soon as one comes in they all rush to the river. Gone are the days where one would go out regardless and explore on their own to find out if the fish are there. I remember not more than 5 years ago around this time of year you could go out and there would be very few people on the river. Now because of the reports the rivers are crowded beyond belief. I was amazed at just how many people where out there today. I also fish many other systems where you just do not report no matter what, and the only people that know that you caught a fish is very close friends.

#13 ·
flyguy said:
I rarely post a fishing report this time of year simply because there are already too many people on the river as it is. I have also found that todays fishermen wait for reports and as soon as one comes in they all rush to the river. Gone are the days where one would go out regardless and explore on their own to find out if the fish are there. I remember not more than 5 years ago around this time of year you could go out and there would be very few people on the river. Now because of the reports the rivers are crowded beyond belief. I was amazed at just how many people where out there today. I also fish many other systems where you just do not report no matter what, and the only people that know that you caught a fish is very close friends.
I see your point flyguy, I think it is the reason why may people do not post their reports, and of course it makes absolutely sense to me. However, anyone can post a fishing report without saying anything about the location or the river, although I am not sure this will make a difference since people will go out anyway as soon as they know there is a great run (no matter where!). I was honest in my previous post: the only reason why I would like to see reports from more experienced people is really to have a comparison with my learning. To me it would be nice.

I can't imagine how frustrating is to see the same part of the river full of people in only few years. It is bad. But what makes me feel good is that the mass will be there mainly sept and october, after that the river becomes more fishable and more beautiful. At least this is what I experienced last year when I had amazing days from mid november until the end of december.

G

#14 ·
After posting some of my most memorable fishing days I've found the scrutiny of certain hecklers on here was just not worth the post. Some by so called veterens >:D and some not! ??? I will try and lend a helping hand where I can!

Life is too short! :)

Hotrod

#15 ·
jetboatjim said:
I report , and I report only what I want people to see. I work too hard to give everything up on the internet.
everyone should contribute some reports, otherwise your just feeding the internet fire, while everyone else keeps warm.
EXACTLY! Some people invest thousands of dollars and tonnes of their own time into the sport. I post a report once in a blue moon, even then it isnt chocked full of details and info. Usually a pic or two, a short sentance and thats it. Another member and I had a talk earlier about how the forum has changed soooo much since when it first started. Back then there were good reports, pics, and info from good rods. Now a days its people whining about regs, acting like a-holes, and miss guided info from newer anglers.

#23 ·
Giuseppe said:
I have a feeling that the reports I usually read are coming from people relatively new to the forum (including my self). I rarely see reports from the "veterans", with of course some good exception including the moderators and Rick. Am I the only one having this feeling?

G
I don't know about you, but I have received allot of solid reports from other members and also have returned the favor many times over via the private messaging. By no means I am not speaking for all the veterans but I am sure they are worried about the same problem I worry about. Simply being the TRUST factor. Hang in there all new anglers on this forum and post properly. Also do not burn any bridges. It is a very tough nut too crack, too get into the loop of the knowledgeable sportsfishers on this site who will share info. Just because you don't see a report from a veteran does not mean the veterans are not sharing reports amongest themselves. :cheers: sage

#24 ·
sage2106lb said:
Giuseppe said:

G
I don't know about you, but I have received allot of solid reports from other members and also have returned the favor many times over via the private messaging. By no means I am not speaking for all the veterans but I am sure they are worried about the same problem I worry about. Simply being the TRUST factor. Hang in there all new anglers on this forum and post properly. Also do not burn any bridges. It is a very tough nut too crack, too get into the loop of the knowledgeable sportsfishers on this site who will share info. Just because you don't see a report from a veteran does not mean the veterans are not sharing reports amongest themselves. :cheers: sage
Sage, as I said in the title I am referring to "posting" fishing reports. It is so obvious that everyone talks to people that they trust, but I don't think this was the aim of this website. Should we have a 1000posts for the experienced fishermen? (ridiculous).

G

#25 ·
That's a tough one Guiseppe...understandably many hesitate to post reports in most situations because they do not want to see 2-3 or even 10-15 anglers nearby the next time they go to an area they like to fish. Even when a post does not reveal any specific details as to where, inevitably it does lead to internet anglers trying to to find those spots through more internet research etc...

Then what you might find is that those anglers who did not put in the serious footwork to find better fishing over the years, but found it by deduction from an internet report, is those internet anglers might choose to post about their newfound shangri-la without the respect for spots that good old fashioned hard work over many years inspires. Obviously that would negate any efforts to protect spots in the first place.

As Sage already mentioned, many of the more experienced anglers share information via private messaging, and I think this is a nice option. Others post more obscure reports spot wise, and concentrate on method, result and little misdirection to try and keep it safe.

It is unfortunate, but also a part of life...not just a part of the internet angling community. More often than not a good percentage of people out there are just looking for shortcuts and haven't the respect for the resource and the sport itself.

For those of us, who enjoy the peace and tranquility of some fisheries, and enjoy fishing with those who share the same respect for the sport, suddenly finding a bunch of guys fishing at at local spot who obviously don't carry that respect can be very disheartening to say the least.

It's a hard lesson to learn, I learned it once upon a time, and I am sure others have as well...

As for the "heckling" comment that was made, in certain cases such reactions are more based on anglers perceiving that someones ethics or respect for the sport itself are poor at best. In that specific case, I think it has more to do with closing the lines of communication which would understandably lose the respect of a lot of guys. That would just enhance the poor impression that was made in the first place.

It's tough, I used to post reports regularly, but issues like time, life getting in the way, and of course the big one, being careful about divulging too much information or piquing too many peoples curiosity tend to get in the way. That's not to say reports won't come in the future, they will, just that when and how will be much more selective.

I guess it does all come back to the trust factor doesn't it...?

:cheers:

rib

#26 ·
jetboatjim said:
I report , and I report only what I want people to see. I work too hard to give everything up on the internet.
everyone should contribute some reports, otherwise your just feeding the internet fire, while everyone else keeps warm.
That about sums it up right there.

Heres an example for you to help prove the point of lurkers seeking info with out contributing. There is another site that I post on. It is a pretty slow site and most days sees 20 or less registered members logging in. This other site and its core members also takes an amazing amount of flak and unwarrented critisism from people on other sites who hide behind their home forum to poke shots at subjects they are afraid to speak out about. I have posted a few videos only on that one site. 200 views on a video, almost 80% of the views came directly from the link on that site. 160 views from a site that has, maybe, 3 dozen contributing members in a year that is scoffed at by many.

Point is most people will go anywhere, and take info from anyone, that they think they can get a free bit of info from with out having to give anything back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.