BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a different way to rig a Tomic plug. I pulled the flat towbar from an old commercial plug to rig it for trolling at slower speeds. I drilled a small pilot hole though the top area where the bar was removed. Next I drilled another small hole through the top protruding lip. After the holes were drilled I inserted a small plastic tubing through the holes. The line goes through the tubing and it is now a free sliding plug. I have not finished this plug yet. The tubing still needs to be cut down, and epoxied into place. The hole where the towbar was removed also needs to be sealed with epoxy glue to ensure the plug does not leak. This mod will allow you to troll your plug at a slower speed with far more action.

The plug originally had a flat tow bar like this (different plug pictured - from another thread).

tomic flat towbar.jpg

Tomic (3)rs.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tomic (2)rs.jpg One more pic, should show how it's done.

The slot where the flat towbar was removed should be sealed with epoxy to ensure the plug will not leak. This process is a little more complex than simply pulling the pins on newer version Tomic plugs. However, it is a good way to update an older plug. With this mod the plug will work at slower trolling speeds, and if the plug breaks off it will float to the surface and can be recovered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
My plug collection is starting to grow, and this is super useful (if it works!) but it seems like you're on the right track.

So... have you caught fish on it, or is this a "to be proven" experiment from your mad tackle laboratory?

Before I bust up some of my old plugs trying your method, what's the angle between middle and lower hole? Looks like around 50 degrees? Have you tweaked it for a specific speed? I'd love to get more action from my tomics at 2.5-3mph.

Great idea, nice one TheBigGuy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the kudos Salted, but I can't take credit for the idea of drilling out the top lip. I had seen a post on another forum about that mod. The problem with doing that is it chaffs the line with a big fish on according to the original post. So the method is proven, according to him it worked well. I thought I'd take the original idea one step further by adding the anti chafe tubing throughout the entire section of both holes. I figured if I leave the tubing protrude a bit it should reduce the chances of breaking off on a big fish because of line stress at the sharp exit hole on the top. I have used the epoxied tubing method on other plugs with the flat tow bar before. Some guys say you can't pull the flat tow bars because the plugs will leak. If you add tubing and seal the area well with epoxy I haven't found leakage an issue. The hole though the main body is just drilled at the same angle left at the rear when the tow bar is removed. It is about a 45- 50 degree angle. You only want to drill a small hole big enough for 2mm tubing. I haven't tested the top hole method out yet as I usually don't fish plugs around Vancouver. I mostly use plugs on my trips to the west coast. This method should work, as it's pretty much the same as using the old rubber band and bead chain method. That method works well, but this is a much cleaner presentation once you've done the mod. Just thought I'd put it out there for the guys who like to experiment. I wouldn't go drilling out my top producing plugs with pins, but for the old commercial plugs I figured why not try something different. I rarely use the old commercial plugs as they need to be fished pretty fast. I figured this mod might make get a little more use out of them.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top