BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok since some people will be getting the urge to gitty up for some chinook action in the near future, why don't we have a thread on different things that you have used to fool some fraser chinook into biting?

Last year at the end of august while out bar fishing the upper fraser my buddy and I limited out within 20 mins, so we decided we'd toss some Colorado's with pink marbou that I had tied onto the hook for some pinks! about the largest sized blade you would use on the vedder for coho etc...the water had about 5-6" of visibillity inbetween the cutting of the bank above, and the 30' cotton woods falling into the river....3-4" piece of pencil lead, small 40lb rolling swivel, 20 inch leader to the blade (15lb test)....pretty fast water....casted out to where we casted the bar weights, and about 3-5 times it hit bottom while on the drift....I am thinking to myself...hmmmmmmm maybe thats in the chinook zone...as of course we were thinking that sprangs might take em'.....within 3 casts I am into a spring well over 30 pounds...peeling line and taking off down stream like a bat outta hell, jumps 3 times clear outta the water, we spot the blade in the top of its mouth :happy: holy cow, well unfortunately we lost it, and the blade.....2 casts later we're into another peels line and snap its gone too :-* too bad, we lost all of the blades on the fish :mad:

So now this is gonna be a technique I think I will use more often this year.....as long as the pilots in the helicopters and planes, do not think that everyone with drift rods in their hands are flossing! :p

saw some guys bottom bouncing with 2 foot leaders and huge colorado's and wedding bands....earlier in the year...I never saw them hook any but maybe that could work aswell....

· Registered
36 Posts
I've caught a few jack springs using a 3XH pink pearl buzz bomb attached to a single barbless siwash hook, with a #5 size bead separating the two.

People tend to overlook basic hardware like hammered brass crocs and the old classic ironheads.

I've also had success at the upper Fraser using Spin and Glos with their wings slightly clipped (to slow down the revolution), under a small dink float, 20 inches of 15# leader (20# main) and 2 inch pencil lead. The purpose of the float is to help keep the lure off the bottom and not as an indicator. Try this out and you may be surprised by it's effectiveness. ;)

· Registered
193 Posts
I think there should be an honorable mention of pulling plugs and jet divers with bait. ;)

I find there are very few methods that will out fish a well presented diver and spinnglo with a juicy chunk of fresh roe :thumbup:

Cheers Oliver

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.