BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows any real good and cheap online stores for flies?? I know there used to be a guy selling super cheap flies that advertised on here from Naniamo but I can't find it anymore.

Cheers

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
or start tying your own. costs a good chunk for materials but then tying the flies will cost you less than a buck a peice :thumbup:

Canadian tire sells packs of flies. never seen any at Walmart though

·
Registered
218 Posts
As Prof. said you get what you pay for....might seem Ok if your desperate for flies...but I'll tell you a quick story that happened with me this week. We were out doing our usual for steelies and a mayfly hatch happened...fish were rising all around us...I looked in my pack and hadn't brought my usual supply of my own flies..guy I was fishing with said he brought some...he's a newbie and is just getting into tying...he had a couple mayfly patterns that were you usual cheap store ones....I tried one and it didn't float properly, the materials were not dry fly and no matter what amount of floatant I put on, didn't work...so in all, the fly sucked large and no fish would have anything to do with it....Nothing more frustrating then having fish rise all around you and you may as well be fishing a turd...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
After tools are purchased, I'd say it costs about .39 cents each to tie your own flys (on average...maybe less). I've spent a grand total of $40 on tools not including my vise and now I'm tying just about anything I want to. Besides that, it gives you pride of ownership, watching a fish snap that elk hair caddis you tied, off the surface like he's a linebacker popping a QB. I figure when comparing buying flys with tying your own, you'll make your money back in the first year.

JMO.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys, I do tie some of my own patterns but I don't have the skill or materials to tie any 18 or smaller drys. The reason I asked is because I bought some flies from what most people would say a very reputable fishing store (won't name any names because the guys are great) but when they packaged them up for me they put them in a box that had a label that said something along the lines of 12 mayflies size 14.....Made in Taiwan! So I figured if a local fishing store was ordering flies from somewhere for cheap and trying to sell them to me for $2/piece I should look around to see if I can find some myself.

Cheers

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
who said that fly shops get their flies from overseas??? im pretty sure most of the tyers for our local shops are from our local area. there is even a few one here and i can name one which is Fish Finder :thumbup: great guy and ties gorgeous flies. I also had a buddy that used to tie for M&Y but not sure if he does anymore (havent talked in years) also met a couple other tyers while in the shop over the years :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
The vast majority of the flies in every shop come from overseas. Taiwan and Nigeria are 2 big producers. I believe Umpqua flies were tied in Nigeria until very recently (if not still). Most shops have a small selection of custom flies tied locally (things like intruders, epoxy minnows, bunny leeches, etc.) but the bins of flies you see, the Adams, Comparaduns, Hare' ear nymphs, etc for a $1.59 or whatever are in large proportion imports.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get anything that I don't buy at Sea-Run on Austin from Flyshack.com.
Sign up for their newsletter, and you get a monthly article on a certain type of fly, and how to fish it, and specials on those types, usually at 60 :2cents: a pop.
They have a large selection at 75 :2cents: a pop, their regular price, all the time, as well as deals on rods, reels, and everything else.
They ship reg USPS mail, so I have yet to be nailed for duties or taxes, and shipping has always been free.
I had a dispute once with them, so they phoned me right away, and doubled my order. LOL
No complaints from me about these guys, lemme tell ya! :beerchug:
As far as I know, these flies are from Kenya, and they are very good quality.

Cheers,
WF

PS: No, I'm not affiliated in any way with flyshack.com

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Fellas...thanks for the input! I have no problem paying top dollar for flies tied in the shops, but if I can buy flies for half price from the same places the shops are getting them I think I would be crazy not to. I also have bought a few lines online at Adams Fly Shop on ebay, always great people to deal with. Thanks for you input fellas.....now saying all that I need to stock up on some flies (other than wolley's and leaches, I can tie those)

So can anyone suggest a couple must have flies...

Cheers
O0

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've purchased from Adams as well, but that was before I started tying my own.

As for purchasing online just to save money, don't forget that money you're saving isn't going into a local shop. When you need them, they'll be gone.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I totally agree and my last rod I bought from a local shop and try to shop there when I can, but when your a poor college student each :2cents: helps....when the paychecks start rolling in it will make it a little easier to keep the cash local :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.