BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, some of you know I moved to BC a few months ago. When I first arrived, the most important thing on my mind was fishing for salmon. I had no idea when I moved here that there were 5 species neither. That confused me a lot...in my mind, a salmon was a salmon was a salmon. So I joined this forum, and 2 others that I will not advertise for here. On all 3 of these forums, I was extremely excited to catch the pink salmon. Why? Because I was told by numerous people that they have had days of 30,40 even 60 catches in ONE day!!! I was like :happy: :happy: :thumbup:

However, today was my first trip to the indian arm for pinks. I arrived at 8 am, and left at 9pm. I caught a grand total of zero. Since my bro didnt catch any neither, that puts us at -1 in my books. :(

What did I do wrong?? When we arrived this morning, there were fish everywhere! Jumping left right and center, they took an hour off of their acrobatic routine from 2pm to 3pm but it was going full fledge afer than again. So I can imagine that someone can really have a good time catching these fish, I can even see how someone caught over 60 in a day, but what the hell did I do wrong????

I used the smallest pink buzz bomb.
For the first 5 hours, I was simply casting and retrieving. My retrieve was fairly fast because I saw other people doing that.
When the jumping stopped, I slowed my retrieve down. Still nothing.
Around 5pm, I saw these 2 guys (one in particular) that kept hooking into fish every 20 minutes or so. I saw him cast, let the buzz bomb sink to the bottom, then he'd lift his rod tip, retrieve the slack and back to the beginning. I tried doing as he did, but still no luck.

Are pinks picky eaters???
Was that just my misfortune and had the wrong school of fish??
For those who have had days of 30+ fish, is it in the technique or were the fish just really, really aggressive and hungry??

Anyways, Im dissapointed, but Ill be back on friday. Cant let one bad day of fishing keep me down...

Any tips or advice is appreciated

tight lines

· Registered
1,386 Posts
It is all a big learning curve. To give you lure more action will definitely increase your chances ( what the other guy was doing while lifting up his tip and reeling in the slack line.) Pinks are easy to catch, well I think it all depends on the situation. Those people who claim to have had 60 fish days well, I know I haven't ::) but most likely they were fishing the rivers. The fly usually outfishes gear, just the way it goes I guess.

Where abouts did you go? Did you see many seals?

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Ashton.....at least you spent the day in a beautiful spot!!

There are so many reasons that you just never know. I have been at the mouth of the Cap and had coho's jumping all around me.....other boats catching them and me.........not a sniff. It can be frustrating at times.

It is very "angler depedent", but you never know if you asked one of the anglers having some success if they had some tips for a newbie?? I know I would be more than willing to help. There are lots of fish there and personally I love to help out someone and seeing my tips help them out is great.

Other tip.........when the fish are that thick in there.......take a pellet gun; it helps pass the time. ;D ;D Sometimes you have to wait a moment or two for them to float back up to the top though. ;) ;)

**Disclaimer** That last statement was a joke; I don't use this method on pinks, nor do I condone it in any way shape or form. :peace:

· Registered
815 Posts
1A. Read the instuction on the buzz bomb package.
1. Thing with a buzz bomb is that you gotta let it free fall. It spins and piss the fish off. Many times they hit on the way down.
2. Its jigging not jerking so pull it up at a medium speed not like setting a hook.
3. That pink thing they sell and say is great for pinks may not be the best. I've always had better luck on peal blue - white with a blue back.
Try trolling for them with spoons and other salmon tackle, that works too.
Have fun, Jason

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a million guys. Im gonna try again tomorrow.
This is a great forum to be part of, cant believe I got all this info in one day.
Im gonna let it sink all in tonight, and hopefully do better tomorrow.

Ahans, I should be there around 7am as well, but my bros are a little slower to wake up, so maybe 8ish. We are 3 bros, Filipino, in a small 14.5 boat.

You cant really miss it. The boat reminds me of a low rider car, especially with the flames in the front.

Ill rephrase that, it reminds me of an old beat up, never maintained, from the 1960's low rider car with a sticker of flames in the front. Thats our boat.

Hey, dont laugh, it floats ok?

tight lines

· Registered
120 Posts
If casting...use a large pink marabou jig. I just came back from Kitimat and was out crabbing in my pontoon boat, and while letting the pots soak, i cast out and jig back and was catching Pinks every other cast.

If you fly-fish...which is way more fun with the Pinks. Any pink marabou or rabbit strip fly will work. The bright Pink and undulating action drives 'em nuts.

· Registered
46 Posts
The time to catch fish is not eightish it is 4:30ish. Had three in the boat by 5:30ish and back home by sevenish. I know its tough but that is what seperates the fishermen from the mamby pamby, I'm still in my jammies, still aint caught no fish, whowismees.

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
mamby pamby
Are you calling ASHTON a mamby pamby?

Also, you can catch those slimey pinks at any time of the day. The thing is, they don't fight that hard on gear and then when you get them in the boat, that is when they start flailing around. Just when you think it would be a good idea to release the fish, it bumps his head and bleeds all over the place. Not my idea of fun. So, I'd rather catch them at a decent hour.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SUCCESS!!!!

Yeah! Thanks to everybody for their info.

My bro and I caught 2 each! I hooked into my first fish about 30 minutes into it. It was a big fat male! A real big boy on my trout rod. I ran me around the boat 2 times! Man was it exciting!! I couldnt believe it at first...I started a slow lift of my lure then felt a tiny bit of resistance, so I set the hook and BAM I was in a fight!! My bro and I probably looked so disorganized! I was fighting it and he was following behind me with the net, trying to look over my shoulders to see the fish! Like to kids, too impatient, just had to see the fish!!

But yeah, Im not sure about the hours so much because we saw several hook ups in the morning before noon, and we didnt see anything substancial from 4pm to 8pm when we left.

But hey, maybe it was a weird day! I dont care!! We caught our pinks!! WOOHOO!!

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
My bro and I probably looked so disorganized! I was fighting it and he was following behind me with the net, trying to look over my shoulders to see the fish!
That's great! Who cares what you looked like. Sounds fun. Pandemonium in the boat after a hookup will provide years of fond memories.

· Registered
815 Posts
Ashton,
good job. A lot of fishing around here is persistance. four fish Awsome! Did the Buzz Bomb do the trick or was it a top secret deal. No worries. Hope you hook up to an accidental spring and you be an addict.
have fun, Jason

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was using a small pink jig similar to a buzz bomb, but fished it the way a buzz bomb was should be fished. Slow up and downs. Loved it! Yeah, if a pink fights that much when hooked by a lure, Im almost affraid of hooking into a spring. LOL. Very excited about the possibilities!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.