BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info in how to catch or trap the elusive ditch eel, strictly for educational purposes :wink: . Do any of the local shops in town sell fresh ones. During the ditch cleaning season this past year I still have'nt seen any from the machine just wondering if something has killed them off too.
Crazy D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not that I would ever have done this, :wink: but a bale of hay on a rope say chucked in a stream such as the Nic., Serp. or such overnight and checked in the morning may produce some results.
Not that I would ever do that :wink: :wink: nudge nudge.

·
Registered
730 Posts
tie a bail of hay with good nylon rope, now the secret is to go buy a jug of milk, yes milk, and dump the entire jug onto the hay allow to soak then throw it in, in my humble opinion the best spot for ditch eels is the ditch opposite Silvermere Lake between Stave River and Mission, the next morning pull gently till almost near the shore then pull like hell, the eels will start popping out, not that I've ever done this before, wink wink, nudge nudge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Man, I'm learning stuff all the time. Ditch eels? As in freshwater eels, the kind I like to order at the Japanese restaurant? Didn't know we had them here, can someone fill me in on these creatures?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys thanks for the responses. Now I have another question to go with the first. Arent these ditch eels just freshwater lampreys. Ive seen them in some of the ditches we used to clean, and the occasional small one in the Vedder. Now hypothetically speaking would frozen fresh or rotted be prefered hypothetically of course :wink:
Crazy D

K

·
0 Posts
not to burst your bubble but.... catching ditch eels with the hay bale is illegal, u can only catch them with a hook now

·
Registered
24 Posts
ditch eels

i have looked in the regs for eel regulations and i find none am i blind or is this just another reg made up through rumor and inuendo????????

·
Banned
17 Posts
Call any of your local tackle shops and they will inform you that catching ditch eels is illegal. By the way ditch eels is just slang the actual species is the Western Brook Lamprey. Google it and you can find the picture of them if you have not seen them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ditch ells

thats my point i have yet to see a written goverment of bc document , the goverment can not enforce reg changes through word of mouth given out at the tack/coffee shop, if an DFO can provide me with a witten reg i will abide with no question

·
Registered
354 Posts
Fishery Notice

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - General Information

Subject: FN0269-General Information: Freshwater Lamprey (Ditch Eels) - Non-tidal - Region 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The intent of this notice is to explain the existing regulations regarding
freshwater lamprey (ditch eels). These are not new regulations.

Freshwater lamprey which are commonly known as ditch eels are defined as fish
under the Fisheries Act. Freshwater lamprey species found in Region 2 include
the Western Brook Lamprey (Lampetra Richardsoni), River Lamprey (L. ayresi) and
Pacific Lamprey (L. tridentata).

The British Columbia Freshwater Fish Regulation prohibits the possession,
transport or traffic of live fish (including lampreys) for any reason unless
authorized by a permit from the Province.

The Federal Fisheries Act prohibits the sale of any fish, unless that fish was
caught under the authority of a commercial licence. The Fisheries Act also
prohibits the purchase of any fish that was illegally caught.

The use of rakes, shovels or the placement of hay bales in watercourses could
result in the disruption of fish habitat. The disruption of fish habitat is
prohibited under the Fisheries Act.

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN0269
Sent May 9, 2005 at 0825

How's that????

·
Registered
347 Posts
I assume you want them for bait ?
Bait for what fish ? Are they just a small eel just like the larger ones in salt or fresh water ? Just wanted to know. Thans. Salt.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'm not trying to be ignorant , but that posted document Basically says I cant posses transport or sell LIVE lampreys. I cant use any means of capture that would harm natural habitat. So now if you can catch them without disturbing the creek beds and kill them after capture same as a fish caught in the river. Does that mean i can legally use them as bait referring to the dead fin fish as bait reg.
This seems to be a grey area in the regs. We are starting to see more now behind the excavator after cleaning ditches and i want to know if i can keep em for bait?????

·
Registered
354 Posts
(Freshwater lamprey which are commonly known as ditch eels are defined as fish
under the Fisheries Act. ..........The Federal Fisheries Act prohibits the sale of any fish, unless that fish was
caught under the authority of a commercial licence........)..........this means as a fish the ONLY means of legal capture(alive) is hook and line(or spear fishing because they are not a game fish).Ones found dead should be legal to take and use as bait(headless)but not sold

·
Registered
24 Posts
ditch eels

that reg just says i can not buy or sell eels just like i can not sell salmon , as for disrupting fish habitat a hay bail placed in a ditch not a creek those ditches are cleaned with an escavator and are mud bottom . as for hook line and speer what about crabs, shrimp and the steelheaders favorite ghost shrimp. all my eels are from tidal ditches where dose that lie? my point is like most regs if not in black and white , no retention for western lampryay, the regs have no power to enforce themselves because enterpritation will always open a grey area in the court. next spring i am going to hunt bear with a bow on wistler mountain just because it says no discharge of firearms not no hunting ! i can't wait to have that argument with the co!! question all regs your sport depends on it

·
Registered
612 Posts
Glad you have time and money to go to court over ditch eels..I don't have those kind of resources to fight for use of ditch eels..I agree this is a dumb issue for Fisheries to get their knockers in a knot over,but I'm not able to fight it......
Besides, I use other bait for sturgeon......

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey Salt.I see you didn't get an answer to your questions regarding the eels....They are primarily used for catching sturgeon in the Fraser River. Either chunks of the eels or several small whole eels are used on the hookis....They are pretty effective.....but other baits work equally as well..............Ortho

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Skunked
that reg just says i can not buy or sell eels just like i can not sell salmon, as for disrupting fish habitat a hay bail placed in a ditch not a creek those ditches are cleaned with an escavator and are mud bottom . as for hook line and speer what about crabs, shrimp and the steelheaders favorite ghost shrimp. all my eels are from tidal ditches where dose that lie? my point is like most regs if not in black and white , no retention for western lampryay, the regs have no power to enforce themselves because enterpritation will always open a grey area in the court. next spring i am going to hunt bear with a bow on wistler mountain just because it says no discharge of firearms not no hunting ! i can't wait to have that argument with the co!! question all regs your sport depends on it
The regs clearly (no grey area here) state that...the use of fin fish (dead or alive) or parts of fin fish other roe is prohibited throughout the province, with the following exception: You may use the head of fin fish or the headless body of fin fish as bait,only:
(a) when sport fishing for sturgeon in Fraser River (Regions 2 and 7 only), or
(b)when setting lines in lakes of Region 6 or in lakes of Zone A of region 7.
Lampray are fin fish. Crab, shrimp, ghost shrimp, and crayfish are not fin fish and are therefore considered bait if they are dead, but are illegal to use live.
The regs also define a stream as:
There is no distinction as to what the bed of the waterway is in order to see if the regulations apply. All that tidal waters designation affects is the license you need to fish in them. Provincial regulation applies to all streams in the province. Those that are deemed tidal wters (and the regulations lay out clearly which ones they are) are still under provincial regulation.
Before attempting to circumvent the regulations because you feel
the regs have no power to enforce themselves because enterpritation will always open a grey area in the court
you might wish to talk to a lawyer. When you lose, because there is no room for interpretation, you can lose very large.... gear, car, fines, etc.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
sorry I meant to include, the definition of stream. in the regs stream is defined as "...flowing waters (rivers, sloughs and creeks)"

1 - 20 of 31 Posts