BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have input on these new hooks? The gap of the hook looks a little narrow to me. I haven't had a chance to use them...gammy octopus is the norm for me. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Markus23.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I am not a big fan of them I think because of the design it is harder to sink in the hook than a gammy but once it was in you are more likely to keep that hook in! I haven't had any problems landing fish in Gammys, so if it aint broke, dont fix it! ;D , my :2cents:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I started to used the DNE hooks size 1/0 last year salmon season. I never did have any problems in hooking fish. They were not too brittle like when Gamakatsu hooks first came out about more than 15 years ago ??? Before Gammy's I used to buy Owners hooks before it got ridiculous pricely.

Silex-user.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The tips are far too fragile on the DNE hooks...but like Bergler said...once the hook is in..its not coming out....I used a few this past year..that I got for free to try out...I think a broke off more than 90% of the tips on them :pissed: too pointed...and thin

Mike <"))))))))><

·
Registered
736 Posts
cohokid said:
ive never had any probs with the point breaking :-\
Me neither, I have used them since before they came out officially, they are real good for Coho, don't seem to work so well for Steelies, maybe due to the soft steelhead mouths. Right now, I am trying them for Sturgeon, but alas... My mojo is gone and in three trips I have yet to get into a solid take. I think they work great in situations, but not so well in others. ;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
cohokid said:
ive never had any probs with the point breaking :-\
first 2 hooks I used had the points break off with steelhead on. The size was 2/0 amd I will never go back to them again. Tossed out a lot of hooks.

·
Registered
419 Posts
love them for salmon never had a tip break I've had nuthin but problems with gammy's over the last year.Hooks bending all the time. Any thing under 1/0 still swear by them for the dino's though. Did they change the wire perhaps in the smaller hook sizes? who knows. I'll always try a new hook. Mustads are alright

·
Registered
247 Posts
used some DNE's last year that we were given to try and had no probs with them, tried gammys once and all they did was straighten out with the fish on so won't go there again. :2cents:

·
Banned
279 Posts
wagonmaster said:
used some DNE's last year that we were given to try and had no probs with them, tried gammys once and all they did was straighten out with the fish on so won't go there again. :2cents:
You straightened gammys? Are you fishing 25 pound leader on #2 hooks or something? I have never straightened out a gammy even on the biggest and meanest chums and nooks

·
Registered
419 Posts
12 lb leader on #2,1, 1/0, 10 on #4 never ever used anything else. 15 lb mainline on baitcaster 20 on centerpin. My fraser rod is a little different 60 lb power pro 20 lb leaders.Never bent anything 1/0 and bigger nor very many 4's mostly 1's and 2's never straightened a gammy as wagonmaster has 8)but they would bend just enough for the fish to shake it.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I'll give the DNE hooks one more chance this summer on the fraser! Seeing they bombed for me this steelhead season in the lowermainland! The steelhead i did hook came on a gammi hook in the cowichian river! Final round for the DNE'S and back to gammi's i think!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I used the DNE #4 hooks at the cap last year and this year ,it is ok,it stay sharp,hooked and landed my limit coho ;).But for steelhead,i use #1 size,it was ok for me,i quess it is better than eagle claw. :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
coho_killer said:
I'll give the DNE hooks one more chance this summer on the fraser! Seeing they bombed for me this steelhead season in the lowermainland! The steelhead i did hook came on a gammi hook in the cowichian river! Final round for the DNE'S and back to gammi's i think!
Just a heads up... I tried the DNE's last year for sockeye and well, they didn't perform that well. When you are float fishing and don't have a ton of line out, for me anyways they work well. You need a strong quick hookset to get that arrow head in, but if you do, it isn't going anywhere, whereas on the Fraser, where you do have a lot of line out, and it is tough to get a real firm hookset due to the amount of line, I found myself to lose a lot of fish. One day I lost 8 in a row, and that was the last straw, borrowed another hook (gammy) and didn't have that problem again. Perhaps you are thinking that maybe the hook was dull, well.... that is what I thought as well, but I checked it on every fish I lost and it was sticky sharp. So the only thing I could come up with was that with the lack of a quick strong hookset, I couldn't get the hook burried. Just what I found with them. Good in some situations and not so good in others..... :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Only had 1 situation where the gammy bent out, and it was a #4 with 10lb leader on a large chum and it just bent slightly and the fish through the hook. Every fish so far had been on a gammy or eagle claw, so why change?

·
Registered
52 Posts
fishin30 said:
love them for salmon never had a tip break I've had nuthin but problems with gammy's over the last year.Hooks bending all the time. Any thing under 1/0 still swear by them for the dino's though. Did they change the wire perhaps in the smaller hook sizes? who knows. I'll always try a new hook. Mustads are alright
I think the barbless gammy's are a thinner wire,I always get barbed and pinch them myself so far so good :thumbup:
Like Bergler said if it ain't broken........... ;D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I will give DNE Hooks the big THUMBS DOWN! I used the siwash hooks for my spinners of late (the ones where you need to pinch the eye) and low and behold I hook into a beauty Coho and snap! The eyelet breaks in two. Needless to say I have never had a Gammy break on me and I will never be trying out any other hook!

BOOOO DNE!

On the other hand thier new floats do look good. I just hope they don't mess those up somehow ::)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I use them still and had no prob on my b-day hooking and landed alot of fish! Never had the tips break on me as of yet? Bent one on a huge spring but thats it! The spade head is almost like a barb, trying to get some of the hooks out of the fishes mouth seem difficult at times!Gammies i like better but i'll always have some dne hooks in my vest always! very sharp and work good for me! Gammies i find bend alot more than dne's! I seem to always be changing gammies as opposed to the dne's I'm thinking stronger than gammies but gammies seem sharper!

CK

·
Registered
730 Posts
personally I like the dne better than a gammy plus they sharpen up better, a gammy once resharpened never lasts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts