BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out fishing yesterday and caught a nice chinook . It was still a very clean fish but when i landed it man was it nasty on one side of its head and part of its face. now i have fished almost my whole life and seen alot of fish mangled from this or that , meat falling off from decay so on. But this to me looked like some kind of flesh eating disease or something . I did take some pics and will post them when i can. just wandering ,never seen something like that before.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe the fish was chewed on by a large mammal like a seal and it managed to escape? I would be interested to see the picture of this fish.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yes they do get diseases but without seeing I'll guess that it's possibly an infection (an infection is different than a disease) that could have occured when then the skin and or protective layer of slime was removed in some manner (seal, net, .......).
That's why it's so important to handle your catch carefully if you are going to release it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes they do get diseases but without seeing I'll guess that it's possibly an infection (an infection is different than a disease) that could have occured when then the skin and or protective layer of slime was removed in some manner (seal, net, .......).
That's why it's so important to handle your catch carefully if you are going to release it.
Well put. I should have included that with the link. I'd bet my last gamakatsu 4ever's fish had a sapro. infection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts