BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
So you don't have to wear those G.D> poorly designed river vests that give you backaches..how the hell can fishpod design such nice vests etc. and no one come up with one for a river vest? :wallbash:

I will say this for food for thought...when fishing with the fly it's very frustrating sometimes when you have to pass some prime gear water that you know holds fish, or you see fish roll in but there is no way you can swing a fly through....If you have to wonder why you would pass these opportunities by nearly everytime you fish, then let me know too, cause my inner child would like to know as well? O0

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
For me it started on interior trophy lakes 12 years ago, where no method stands a hope in hell of competing with a well presented fly.

Then I discovered free rising rainbows on walk and wade rivers....truly heaven.

Lately I have discovered the 2 hander....the jury is still out on that one :confused:

As for why other guys prefer to chuck feathers, I would not venture to guess. Some guys move on and some never do.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Pat AV said:
For me it started on interior trophy lakes 12 years ago, where no method stands a hope in hell of competing with a well presented fly.

Then I discovered free rising rainbows on walk and wade rivers....truly heaven.

Lately I have discovered the 2 hander....the jury is still out on that one :confused:

As for why other guys prefer to chuck feathers, I would not venture to guess. Some guys move on and some never do.
I like how you think Pat..we'll have to hook one of these times when your down here..I think you'd be a great person to fish with!!!

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
ha ha down here :happy: Pat lives down here ya know :thumbup: but he wants to move away :naughty:

I got into fly fishing after watching guys at a local lake catch lots and have tons of fun practising C&R so i picked a cheapy combo up and went back the next day and started learning (basically taught myself) I probably caught and released about 15trout that and missed more than i could count :happy: needless to say some days its just bang on and others it can be very tough. I love the challenge that fly fishing brings to the table. I mean you cant really fish the same fly all day and have it continue to work, sometimes maybe but hardly ever. I also find casting all day alot more relaxing than standing and flipping a drift setup.

Now i just need to learn more about using my spey so i can get one that way also ;D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
started fly fishing cus i was tired of hooking trout on salmon gear and not getting a good fight (not targeting them with that equipment obviously), second reason was because i saw i guy hook 3 coho on the fly when i hooked 1 on gear. (10 years old, 2 fish make a huge difference)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I believe the challenge is the reason. To be able to throw out a cast into the river and get a fish to bite something that is atrificial. To truly outsmart a fish. What a feeling when you get that perfect cast and drift and have something rise and absolutley hammer a fly and the ensuing fight. It brings a sense of pride and accomplishment. Not to mention the rush you get.The feeling of a great rod in your hand that performs flawlessly when casting and when you get a fish on.............I beleive there are many more reasons why but those are a few that I know of. The total expierience! O0

Hotrod

·
Registered
209 Posts
'Cause all my friends do? Nah, peer pressure has nothing to do with it! 'Cause I love to spend money on gear? Well, that's always fun and reels are so shiny and beautiful! 'Cause if I don't catch fish, I can say I was flyfishing and people understand right away? 'Nuff said on that! 'Cause it's fun? Yep!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I grew up fishing the chuck, but I always wanted to catch a trout. My mum or grandpa took me to lakes a couple of times a year and I never caught anything. For years I tried worms and spinners, and exactly twice my bobber moved a bit, but never once did I catch a trout. Even when my family did. So I nagged and pleaded, and finally I was set up with some fly gear, and I caught a trout on my first trip out. I never looked back for still water. And when I started river fishing, the fly was all I really knew. I guess I kind of buck the trend, because I started drift fishing after years of passing by 'unfishable' spots. But I still love the fly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I fished lakes for he better part of 45 years with gear, but I was always fasinated by the rythme and look of a good fly fisher. 4 years ago I decided to take the plunge and hte wife and myself took some casting lessons, then I started tieing flys, built my 3wt and I have never loked back. I love the feel of hooking and playing a fish on a fly rod with on weight or gear to obstruct the feel of the fish. Watching a nice trout rise to a dry is spectacular, I still get a thrill from it. I still have all my gear fishing rods and tackle but now it just gets used by friends that are intimidated by fly fishing until I can get then to try fly fishing. Every once in a while I will use gear for Steelhead but mainly I use Fly.

243 Posts
jetboatjim said:
I would like to know why some of you guys think some of us prefer to flyfish?
I dont care why some guys fly fish. As long as a guy isnt snagging fish, harming the resource and is following the regs, I'll let them do their thing. Everyones reasons for fishing are so unique that you would be hard pressed to find two anglers who fish the exact same way for the exact same reasons.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
hotrod said:
I believe the challenge is the reason. To be able to throw out a cast into the river and get a fish to bite something that is atrificial. To truly outsmart a fish. What a feeling when you get that perfect cast and drift and have something rise and absolutley hammer a fly and the ensuing fight. It brings a sense of pride and accomplishment. Not to mention the rush you get.The feeling of a great rod in your hand that performs flawlessly when casting and when you get a fish on.............I beleive there are many more reasons why but those are a few that I know of. The total expierience! O0

Hotrod
It sounds like you are ready to give it a go HR! :cheers:

Finder ;)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I grew up fishing the Allouette and remember watching this guy with a fly rod. I sat back and watched this guy fish for who knows how long simply because the cast looked like an art. I must of been about 15 at the time. I went home that day and begged my parents for a fly rod. They got one for my 16 birthday and I have been hooked ever since. I still enjoy sitting back and watching other fly chuckers especially when you get a few in a row with all of them casting. It is like watching art in motion.

·
Registered
901 Posts
i like my dry fly fishing myself.. waiting for the bite and having them swat at it... missing and a boil or splash.. then getting them its pretty fun..but i love my centerpins and roe stained rod too much to switch right now for steelhead.... ill go to my grave with my sage and milner in my coffin... thats a promise.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It started when I was about 5 - watching my father get ready for vacation - out came the tackle - he was a gear fisherman - MY grandfather was a flyfisherman - mainly the Cowichan River in the 30's and 40's - he drowned on the river - His Hardy rods and reels and the flyboxes full with all sorts of wets and drys right down to size 28 - I fell in love and tied my first fly inhand before I was 6 - feathers from my pillow and an indian head dress and wool and thread from my mothers sewing box. I think it was the romance of moving water - the strike of a fish and the zing of a reel - nothing thrills my heart to this day like that moment on a river or lake - I flyfish for the love of it .

Oakey

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
HOOK said:
ha ha down here :happy: Pat lives down here ya know :thumbup: but he wants to move away :naughty:
Just wait untill you have fished some of the places that I have been lucky enough to travel to Hook, you will understand why they haunt me and every day I dream of when I can go back!

Besides having a connection up country is a good thing! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
No doubt, I prefer to flyfish over any other type of fishing even though I occasionally gear fish with the level wind and enjoy chucking spoons at Coho once in a while. I've been fishing the Vedder with a fly and gear rod most trips this year for Steelhead. Just gives me more options on the type of water I can fish.
The art of casting a line and watching is go through the guides to the target is what keeps me doing it. I love casting (single hander, soon to join the spey gang). It's also way more productive than other methods of fishing if you are in the right water. Unfortunately many times the fish are in the gear water especially the Springs and their little brother Jack.

The satisfaction and frustration it causes gets my blood pressure up in a good way.
Nothing like being on a lake or river with fish everywhere ignoring everything you toss at them for hours on end and then figuring it out. The fight of a fish on a fly rod is unequaled in my experience being it salt or freshwater. Being rewarded with a fish with a fly you tied, watching a Coho follow your fly right up to your tube before it hits, being able to release your fish because it didn't gut swallow your bait...........................................
I don't care what method people choose to fish as long as they follow the regs and respect the environment and fish, it's all good. :thumbup: :cheers:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have decided to fly fish the vedder this year because every year is the same for me. I usually fish it weekends with the odd week day, and usually come up with about 30-45 steelhead from the vedder. so I decided since I fly fish for fall/summer steelies why not winters?

so I love to challenge myself.(kinda have a short attention span) For me its is not about the numbers, but the quality of fishing. If you fly fish (rivers) you will understand, its not easy and not cheap. some spey outfits run in the thousands.

so would I go through all of this effort to land a fish at any cost?.......nope!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.