BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the search of a good fishing resort for this may. I would like to take my wife and two friends to a lake after the may long weekend. :thumbup:
I want to rent a cabin for this one as I want it to be a bit more comfortable this year. Our friends are very inexperienced in camping and have done very little fishing so I thought some trout fishing would be a good start.
I am not looking for any secrets here ,just some good fishing with the opportunity at some decent fish! I have no problems driving up to six hours or more. I would like to tow a bigger boat up with me as there will be times when they all will want to fish. We will be fly fishing and hopefully getting some chronomid action as this should be fun for newbies. ;D

I was looking at lakes in the hundred mile house area as I have fished most of the merrit area lakes and want to venture somewhere new so that I can get my challenge fix for the year on a new lake. :thumbup:
Any info would be greatly appreciated

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Heffley lake, big bows in a area close to plethora of other lakes, there is a lodge there, no experience there personally but my friends stay there every year with the kids. I know power boats are allowed too as it is a bit of a ski fest in the summer months.
http://www.heffleylakeresort.com/

When it's hot, it's hot
"OK Les, this is the spot," Brian said when he stopped after a 3-mile run up Heffley Lake in his 14-foot johnboat. "We have 19 feet of water under the boat and it should be fishing well right about now." After setting two anchors to keep the boat from turning in the wind, he dug a fly box out of his bag and handed me a small, brass-ribbed chironomid. "This has been the hot one recently," he noted. "Fish it on a full-sinking fly line and let it get to the bottom before you retrieve. And�retrieve it very slowly."

PHOTO: LES JOHNSON
Brian Chan holds on as a big rainbow takes off across Heffley Lake, not far from the town of Kamloops, British Columbia. Note extra rods with floating and fast sinking lines ready for action.

I never argue with anyone who has Brian's knowledge of stillwater fishing, so I set out the fly and watched as the blue sinking line settled slowly toward the bottom. After several seconds I began a slow hand-twist retrieve, keeping the rod tip low and aimed straight at the fly. The take was light but when I snapped back on the rod it bent double and a dandy 2-pound Kamloops rainbow launched into the morning sunlight, clearing the surface by four feet.

"Way to go, Les," Brian said, then screamed, "Whoa!" as his rod hooped under the strain of an almost identical trout. "This is going to be our day," he said as we played our trout to boatside where they were carefully released.

For the next two hours we had trout on almost every cast. I have questioned the honesty of people at times who would relate such incredible encounters with trout on the fly rod but not after experiencing this particular morning of never-ending hookups. I know that we caught and released a total of at least 20 beautiful Kamloops trout during those three hours, and lost several others that tossed our barbless flies after a couple of high, twisting leaps. When we finally put the rods aside to head back to the launch area I was arm-weary but knew that I would be more than ready for more Kamloops trout fishing the next day at another of the myriad lakes in the region.

Although I've spent a great many seasons fishing the lakes of interior British Columbia the thrill of hooking my first Kamloops trout of the spring has never paled. The Kamloops is just about as tough a customer as you will ever battle on the far end of your fly outfit. And, while most Kamloops you catch are in the 1 to 4-pound class, there are surprisingly large numbers of these high-spirited trout that will pull the scale to 8, 10 or even 15 pounds. So, when you head for the Kamloops country of British Columbia, take tackle along that will do the job.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info,
Heffley looks good and that will be a start, thank you for that :thumbup:

I have fished tunkwa and leighton extensively and although they are great fishing lakes i am looking for a lake that we might be able to eat a trout out of stunkwa fish are horrible eating,Verry muddy :-X
I am not looking to take a cooler ful home but two or three to eat while there would be great! especialy smoked in the bbq.

if you know any more I like to have options before I start making all the calls

Cheers
Oliver

· Registered
1,199 Posts
swiftwater said:
thanks for the info,
Heffley looks good and that will be a start, thank you for that :thumbup:

I have fished tunkwa and leighton extensively and although they are great fishing lakes i am looking for a lake that we might be able to eat a trout out of stunkwa fish are horrible eating,Verry muddy :-X
I am not looking to take a cooler ful home but two or three to eat while there would be great! especialy smoked in the bbq.

if you know any more I like to have options before I start making all the calls

Cheers
Oliver
So are you saying the fish at Tunkwa are not eating fish? Cause we were considering going there - the end of June. Is that still an ok time to fish there or too late?

· Banned
2,854 Posts
thats a great time to fish Tunkwa. the reason for the MUDDY flavour is that the entire lake is less than 20feet deep therefore when the water warms the fish start to really taste like mud. the fish in Leighton dont get this because the lake is considerably deeper :thumbup: When are you 2 heading up Fishnfvr? if its on a weekend you might just have some company (dad and me) :happy:

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made the mistake of eating a tunkwa fish a few years ago and will never eat another out of this lake even some of leightons fish are muddy.
It turned me off eating trout for a few years :p
I highly recomend this lake as a good fishing lake the fish are great with lots of good sized ones(probably because no one eats them) :happy:

Thanks proff Knouff lake was on the top of my list the only issue may be that there is no washroom in the cabins
the wife tends to need to go more now as we got a bun in the oven ::)

· Registered
1,199 Posts
swiftwater said:
I made the mistake of eating a tunkwa fish a few years ago and will never eat another out of this lake even some of leightons fish are muddy.
I highly recomend this lake as a good fishing lake the fish are great with lots of good sized ones(probably because no one eats them) :happy:

Thanks proff Knouff lake was on the top of my list the only issue may be that there is no washroom in the cabins
I had someone tell me that if you skin the fish - you do not get that muddy taste - but somehow I dont believe that! I guess if the fish taste like that we will have to think about somewhere else - maybe Knouff - hopefully they dont taste like dirt there - :happy:
And Hook - we arent going till after the 23rd - have to wait till schools out.

Oh and tell your wife to take a bucket - :happy: I wouldnt go walking around in the middle of the night either. :happy:

· Registered
3,796 Posts
swiftwater said:

They have one cabin, the Honeymoon with indoor plumbing, or if you want to share with another couple (for costs) the Red House is just that, the original 2 bedroom house that Dave and Gloria used to live in. http://www.knoufflake.com/rates.htm

· Registered
1,199 Posts
They have one cabin, the Honeymoon with indoor plumbing, or if you want to share with another couple (for costs) the Red House is just that, the original 2 bedroom house that Dave and Gloria used to live in. http://www.knoufflake.com/rates.htm
[/quote]

Is town fairly close? In other words can you go somewhere out for dinner if you want to? Or is it in the middle of no where?

· Registered
2 Posts
I like Deka Lake by 100 Mile House. Nice cabins and campgrounds too. Good service. There are actualy almost two lakes connected by narrow channel. I don't bother going to the big one as I have learn to fish well in the first part. It's still about 2 km long and about 600 m wide. It is close to the campgrounds. Plenty of 2 to 3 lb Rainbows and large Kokes too. Good for trolling (which I hate) or fly fishing. You have to book well ahead as this lake is very busy in May already. Just search for the link on Google. It's a nice place.
MrGrey.

· Registered
3,796 Posts
fishnfvr said:
Is town fairly close? In other words can you go somewhere out for dinner if you want to? Or is it in the middle of no where?
you are about 35 minutes from downtown Kamloops. 13 kms of very well maintained gravel road and the rest paved.

· Registered
55 Posts
Peaceful Cove Resort on beautiful Lac desroches. Nice cabins with washrooms, picnic tables, and firepits. A bit small for four adults. Better off to get two. There are two deluxe waterfront cottages with bedrooms but these are constantly pre-booked. I have'nt stayed there in about three years so there may be more waterfront units now. Shawn Ling used to be the owner manager and was a great host. I don't know if he is still there. A really great guy. The lake is large but there is alot of shoal area that is perfect for midging. Good size fish up to 10lbs. Great eating fish too! Shawn knows the lake well and if he is there will steer you in the right direction. Hope this helps! CHALUPA

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Chataway lake is a nice place to stay, many lakes in the area good for the inexperienced and some trophy lakes aswell for those looking for a more quility fishery. the cabins are fully outfitted, just bring sleeping gear, not sure of the cost as it has been 7-8 years since i have stayed there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.