BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be venturing well into the back country of Harrison east this long weekend and I will bring a rod so I can set a worm out on the bottom at the very least. I know this lake isn't known for great fishing but I end up camping in the area often enough that I am tempted to bring my 14ft. boat some time. Any advice at all would be great. I don't need to catch monster fish to enjoy my day but a couple pan fry's would make the effort of dragging the boat in more attractive 8)

cheers Salmon Slayer

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Fish the lake the same as any other......You can drag gear around, or baited hooks behing a gang troll or fly fish the bays.....It is a deep lake and also it has a lot of hidden hazards along the shorelines (logs,stumps, logging cables etc.)...Keep a keen eye on the weather. It usually blows in the afternoon on this lake, so you might want to do your fishing in the am..........Ortho

·
Registered
3,669 Posts

Can be spotty but can be good. My older son caught the only fish on one canoeing trip a few years ago now on one of those plastic grubs you get in the cheapo kids fishing outfits. I've had my best luck there around 20 Mile Bay on the the west side up to Doctor's point. As Ortho says don't get caught out by the anabatic winds like I did my first time out there. In the middle of the lake in 4-5 foot whitecaps in a canoe! I usually drag a fly around and fish the creek mouths of which there are many. Up the head where the Lillooet River enters can be good too but it can be very rough there too. This lake gets pretty warm later on on the surface. I will be out there next week when the crowds have buggered off.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are some great pics arghhh. Thanks for the advice guys. I will be bringing my fly and spinning gear so if nothing else I can practice my casting. I'll be sure to let you know how I do.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had an enjoyable trip and the weather was better there than back home in langley however the fishing was not so hot. The entire lake seems to be a cloudy green. Generally Harrison lake has excellent visibility but currently it looks as if the lake just turned over. I was told by some fellow campers that there was a large slide on the lake recently but it would really have to have been massive to stir the lake up so much. Regardless of the cause I hope this proves to be a positive for the health of the lake much like the annual turning over of higher elevation lakes is critical to their ecosystem.

·
Registered
335 Posts
We anchored up out front of Pebble Beach ( I believe its called) for some lunch last summer and my brother and the kids did some trout fishing and caught three decent rainbows. So we BBQ'd them mmmmmmmmmmmm Weather pssssst who cares when your in a 28ft Trophy LOL Just jokin it can get pretty rough out there and I would'nt want to be in a small boat. BE SAFE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi arrgh,
Thanks for sharing Doctor's point idea, wish I would get this idea before as went to fishing 2 months before and got only 3 fishes:(
I will keep it in mind next time when we will go for fishing.
Awesome pictures, do share more pictures with us.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Heading to Doctors Bay tonight. Should be a fun cruise down the lake. Leaving from Harrison. Weather isn't great but winds should be calm all weekend. I'll try and hook one of those monster Arrgh!

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Heading to Doctors Bay tonight. Should be a fun cruise down the lake. Leaving from Harrison. Weather isn't great but winds should be calm all weekend. I'll try and hook one of those monster Arrgh!
LMAO calm all weekend! Watch out between 1 and 5 pm! Nice beach almost opposite Doctor's Point which is where we usually camp. Your flat bottom will suck in the waves.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm surprised more people don't fish Harrison Lake. It has always been good to me for trout - rainbows and cutthroats. I don't bother boating - I just wear waders and fly fish from shore.

·
Registered
593 Posts
We had a really good trip. Departed the Harrison boat launch at 7:30 Friday pm. Lake was like glass.
Harrison1.jpg

It was roughly 45km to doctors Bay. Cruised at 30mph and we were there pretty quick probably just under 1 hour.

Harrison 3.jpg

Marked quite a few fish on the edge of the drop off right out front in about 50 feet of water. Didn't bring correct gear for getting down that deep so just tried fishing a few creek mouths. One small creek a couple of km north of Doctors bay looked nice. No fish spotted during the 30 minutes of tossing a spinner around. The other creek was larger, and about 10km south on east side looked great. Busier there though. Quite a few campers, bikes, boats and cabins up the creek itself. Worked the spinner again for about half hour with no taps or signs of any fish.
Very pretty though and I would guess that if you were to seriously fish this spot you could get lucky. Perhaps fishing early morning, or late evening.
Harrison4.jpg

Wind was supposed to blow lightly from the south on Saturday, and turn Northerly by Sunday. It happened just like that. Woke up to the sound of wind on Sunday. White caps out near the narrow part of the lake, but no big swell spotted with binocs. We loaded up and enjoyed the hot sun that poked through for a while and were on our way by 11:20. Stopped at 20 mile bay for a lunch break, and then at the waterfall for a few casts and some pics. The wind turned southerly half way back. By the time we reached the 3/4 mark we had some good poundage going on. Just took it slow, and cruised back. Sky turned very dark and lightning started just as we left Harrison on the way home. Timed it perfectly.
Launch was really nice, but came at a price. 20 dollar launch fee plus 7 bucks per day to park.

All said and done, how can we not appreciate what an amazing lake we have minutes from the city!?? Find a beach, cozy up to the fire and enjoy the peaceful sounds of nature with the amazing landscape. The wife was blown away at the serenity. Definitely will go back for more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The boat launch at Sasquatch day-use is free and they will let you park overnight or even for an extended stay. The park is run by Sea-to-Sky park management and I call them (Ellen) at 604-986-9371 to leave them details of my vehicle, boat and trip details. I also leave a note in my vehicle dash with boat name & trip details, and that I monitor VHF 68 & 16. The launch can get sloppy with a southerly or westerly wind so launch early if you can.

Bring your crawfish traps - this lake produces exceptionally well if you find the right areas!

Question - what are the anchorages like at Doctors Bay and the nice sandy beach right across from it? Are they well protected? Can you stern-tie? The kids & I are headed up for a week in early August. We normally don't venture too much past Long Island but with a new bigger boat we can sleep aboard we are looking to expand our adventures.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
They can be rough when the wind picks up. You could stern tie but the sandy beach is quite shallow. Pebble Beach(further north with the rock face is deeper.) Been out in the middle there in a canoe in 6 foot whitecaps. Not for the faint-hearted......

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure about the fishing, but I would be careful around the hotsprings. A buddy and I were going to stay at the campground, but promptly left after we walked into some type of Wicca festival (candles, cats and carnage, you can guess the rest).

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks for the info about Sasquatch Park. I will definitely look into it. Doctors Bay is mostly gravel beach with a few medium size rocks. There is a small island that may help you anchor. It is very sheltered. Wind blows up and down the lake, but only a little swirly in the bay.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
The boat launch at Sasquatch day-use is free and they will let you park overnight or even for an extended stay. The park is run by Sea-to-Sky park management and I call them (Ellen) at 604-986-9371 to leave them details of my vehicle, boat and trip details. I also leave a note in my vehicle dash with boat name & trip details, and that I monitor VHF 68 & 16. The launch can get sloppy with a southerly or westerly wind so launch early if you can.

Bring your crawfish traps - this lake produces exceptionally well if you find the right areas!

Question - what are the anchorages like at Doctors Bay and the nice sandy beach right across from it? Are they well protected? Can you stern-tie? The kids & I are headed up for a week in early August. We normally don't venture too much past Long Island but with a new bigger boat we can sleep aboard we are looking to expand our adventures.
Are you talking about the Green Point boat launch? It is signed no overnight parking and expressly states on the website that you'll be towed if you do. I launch at the free one past the marina and park on the road.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes - Green Point. We do several 3-7 day trips up there every year and have been doing so for the past 8 years - we always leave the truck & trailer there and we have never had an issue. Give Sea to Sky a call yourself to be sure - I'd hate for them to have suddenly become jerks about it. Ellen at Sea to Sky told me the purpose of the "No Overnight" policy is to keep campers & the riff-raff out after hours. Most of the folks that have cabins on Long Island leave their vehicles the Green Point launch.

I'm headed up there Aug 6-12 so I will be double-checking again myself.

Where is the one you use? 49.3120258,-121.7725247?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Yes - Green Point. We do several 3-7 day trips up there every year and have been doing so for the past 8 years - we always leave the truck & trailer there and we have never had an issue. Give Sea to Sky a call yourself to be sure - I'd hate for them to have suddenly become jerks about it. Ellen at Sea to Sky told me the purpose of the "No Overnight" policy is to keep campers & the riff-raff out after hours. Most of the folks that have cabins on Long Island leave their vehicles the Green Point launch.

I'm headed up there Aug 6-12 so I will be double-checking again myself.

Where is the one you use? 49.3120258,-121.7725247?
Yeah, that's the one. Used to be able to park there overnight too, now you have to park on the road. Good to know about Green Point. Will give it a try, it's a much nicer launch. I also used to park at 20 mile Bay and pay the FN camp hosts to watch my vehicle and trailer for me while I was camping over on the other side away from the yahoos..... Can beat the crap out of a bigger boat getting in there though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts