BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been practicing my knot tying for a few days now and finally getting past the quitting stage!! My eye sight ain't what it once was. :( The one knot I find easiest to do is the Duncan Loop/Uni-Knot. I would like to know if it's a acceptable knot to tie tippet to leader? If it's used for fly to tippet then 'to me' it should be fine for other end. Then if I want to shorten tippet/or line breaks I only have to cut loop and re-tie.
comments?
thanks,oldman.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You might want to go double uni.

For joining two lines together, "even mono to braid", the double uni is easy to tie and holds fast I find.

You can even double the line when tieing to braid.

It is wise to keep the diameters fairly close.

For mono to mono, it's a standard acceptable knot.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased this set-up and notice that the leader has a loop on both ends. I used the loop to loop connection for the fly line to leader. Does the tag end have this loop for the same purpose,loop to loop with the tippet? MAN this is getting difficult. never expected such decisions. ???

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't know bud...

Leader and tippet are the same to me.

Joining lines... a double uni works great.

Loop to loop, is loop to loop.

Maybe you have a poly tip?

If so, I believe you need to tie a perfection loop on your leader/tippet to attach to the loop.

To attach your fly... Improved Clinch or Uni will do it.

Don't worry, you'll get it, it's not difficult.

lolol.. Just hoping that we are on the same path.

If not, I guarantee you someone here will get you on the correct trail.

That's all I can syphor for know O man.

(chucklin to myself)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Tippet is added at the end of a leader so you can change flies without cutting back the actual leader material. To connect tippet to leader, the easiest knot to use and one you'll find a lot of people use, is the double-surgeons knot. It takes 15 seconds to tie with frozen fingers and you're good to go.

As for the perfection loop, I have 6" of 30lb mono tied to the end of my flyline, and use a perfection loop on the end of that to connect my leader.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Connecting leader to tippet, the double surgeon knot is the ticket. The duncan loop is more suited to tying on your fly to the tippet.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Totally agree with Jesse. The only knot for tippet to leader is the double surgeons (triple surgeons for fluoro). It is also the simplest knot you can find.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have struggled at times with knots, especially in colder conditions and as my eyes seem to need assistance! Two comments: firstly, I've found that a tool commonly used for knail knots produces a very good knot for fly to tippet, and when tied as a double knot for tippet to leader, or leader to fly line (although I am sold on loop to loop). For some reason (lack of practise) I'm poor at the double surgeon. I find this knot has very good strength, is lower profile than the double surgeons that I'm able to tie, and is fast to tie even with cold hands. I use this now very frequently. The knot tool looks like a larger version of the little flip out tool on the back of some nail clippers.

secondly, here's a great animated knot site for you:
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexf...ge=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

cheers
Sparky

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
...firstly, I've found that a tool commonly used for knail knots produces a very good knot for fly to tippet...

cheers
Sparky
You're using the nail knot tool to tie your fly on the tippet? I'd really like to see how this is done, purely for interests sake.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just started using the perfection knot for trout bead fishing. It is easy to tie and super quick. As i need a bit of weight to get the bead down, i use a small swivel between the tippet and the fluorocarbon. I do one of these knots at both ends and use it to attach the fluoro to the swivel, then to attach the hook. Just makes a nice straight loop.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Actually BGM it's both possible AND practical. Not only that, I shockingly initially discovered this knot by reading the package the tool came in! Now, I'm pretty knot challenged- especially when my fingers get cold- but I personally tie a faster and at least as strong a knot attaching FLY to TIPPET with the knail knot tool as with a modified clinch. And without doubt, IN MY HANDS I tie a faster, lower profile, and as strong a double nail knot attaching tippet to leader using the tool. I emphasize that I've not spent enough time practising the double surgeon, blood, or other knots that typically fill these roles and as a result, in cold weather, I suck at them. Other's excel, and I'm not comparing my knot tool knots to other's traditional knots, I'm comparing them to MY traditional knots.

So, for the non-believers out there, and if the warrior has stopped giggling, I'll try to verbally describe the technique:

Set up: Run your tippet through the eye and leave approx 6 inches at tag end; hook the hook on the flat part of the tool near the key-ring end of it, and run both line and tag back throught the notch at the tip of the tool (if you're right handed, let your left thumb lie on the flat portion of the tool and hold both tag and line in place approx 1-2 inches above the notched end). You now have the fly under base of your left thumb, the tool tip essentially grasped between your left thumb and index, and the mainline and tag line pointing to the right of the tool, out of the notch in the tip of it.

Knot: pull the tag end towards you, under right side of the notch, pass over top of tool (and both tag and mainline in the trough), and around the bottom of the tool. Hold that loop with your left index against the side of the tool (it's where the index naturally rests); Re-grip, repeat this over top/under bottom wrap with right hand approx 4-5 times (depending on the test, fly size, target, etc this can vary) winding UP the tool towards your left thumb. On your last wrap UP the side of the tool, feed the tag end under the loops you've created and out the tip of the trough through the notch. Pull the tag end, sliding loops off the tip of the tool. Slide the noose up to the eye of the fly, pulling snuggly on both line and tag. Trim.

This takes me about 5 seconds, with freezing fingers. A little spit always helps it slide off the tool. If you're a doubter, try it and see. It may not change your preferred knot, but it's an alternative. For those of us with eyesight that's not as good as it used to be, you don't even need to be able to see the loops to feed the tippet through, it channels the line for you. As an aside, I work in a profession dealing with people with varying and occasionally very significant hand injuries (amputations, nerve injuries, strokes, etc). This knot tool has assisted many a patient with impaired dexterity or eyesight in their ability to tie a strong, fast knot.
cheers

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Based on your instructions, what I think you've tied is a hangman's knot. I have one of the tools so I'm going to give it a shot tonight and see if I can replicate your knot. I didn't get a set of instructions when I purchased the tool so YouTube was my friend.

Much appreciate the detailed explanation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I added this note earlier but it went into the body of the thread, three posts up for some reason...... anyway, I deleted it and moved it to the bottom here.....

Hangman's knot certainly SOUNDS like the knot I'm describing.... it makes a noose that cinches up when you tighten down on it. As I said, I'm not sure that others will find a benefit to this over traditional knots- we tend to go with what we're used to unless there's a significant benefit to changing- but it works for me.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
"Does this knot pass the test?"

1) Do you find it easy to tie?
2) Do you have ultimate confidence in the knot?
3) Will it last all day without failing?
4) Will it pass easily through the guides if necessary?
5) Will it stand up to the largest fish you are likely to hook?

If you can answer "yes" to all these questions, then the knot passes any of the important tests.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I added this note earlier but it went into the body of the thread, three posts up for some reason...... anyway, I deleted it and moved it to the bottom here.....

Hangman's knot certainly SOUNDS like the knot I'm describing.... it makes a noose that cinches up when you tighten down on it. As I said, I'm not sure that others will find a benefit to this over traditional knots- we tend to go with what we're used to unless there's a significant benefit to changing- but it works for me.
Cheers
Using your instructions, I was able to tie the knot you mentioned. It's definitely a hangman's knot but that's irrelevant; it works! I've googled the crap out of the interweb to try and find the instructions online with no luck. Thanks for sharing and I take back my giggling!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts