BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i want to find a spot around Vancouver I don`t realy care where Jericho or Ambleside is what im thinking about but if you got a spot where can`t keep them off i would like to know where BUT from shore only.I got the rod and salmon belly but I had tried Ambleside with bullhead guts and gill but nothing.Where do you guys catch dogfish?

·
Administrator
3,732 Posts
I have a reliable source that says Granville Island does alright....:)

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Where do you guys catch dogfish?
100, + ft farther than you can cast.8) Rarely caught from shore around here (IMHO).But WHY? I've caught them by accident (slow troll, on the turn) I've caught them on purpose (gotta keep the kids happy) They are edible and can be tasty with the right prep (milk or lime/lemon marinade to cut the ammonia; Shark is high in ammonia)but WHY?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure why'd you wanna catch dogfish? I'm always trying to avoid them and usually move or really speed up if i'm catching lots. Found a ton last year round T10, no idea where you'd catch em from shore

·
Registered
313 Posts
As a kid growing up on the waterfront (albeit 40+ years ago ) these were easy from any of the wharfs......................at dusk and into the night on a high tide.
We would start an hour or so before dark fishing for bullheads, the ones we caught we would stomp and kick off the wharf and keep 2 nice fat ones we stomped then once it got dark we would hook them to a big hook that was tied to weed eater line and a piece of styrofoam for a float.
we would set the float so the bait would float slightly above the bottom so the crabs couldnt make off with it and watch the white bobber,
kinda stopped doing it after the movie Jaws came out........... LOL ended up with a 5.5 footer one night.
As a 10 year old it was scary business especially once when the old man seen the mess we made on the wharf from the bullhead guts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I feel the same Trout. I spent many years in Alberta and northern BC, and learned to enjoy the fight, even if its something you would never eat. Catching little sharks seems like something that would get some big smiles on the kids faces, and as long as im reeling in something thats fighting me, theres not much more I can ask for.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Catching Dogfish continually can really beat your terminal tackle up. Their skin can put paid to leaders pretty quick when they rub and chafe and struggle.
So take some extra leader and hooks and whatnot.
Getting barbed hooks out of Dogfish skin or mouth without damaging the fish can be tricky. Their skin is really tough and once you're hooked into it
it can be a pain getting the hook out.

While handling Dog fish make sure you don't get whacked by the spines on the back of them.........nasty, and not funat all if you get pierced by one.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Catching Dogfish continually can really beat your terminal tackle up. Their skin can put paid to leaders pretty quick when they rub and chafe and struggle.
So take some extra leader and hooks and whatnot.
Getting barbed hooks out of Dogfish skin or mouth without damaging the fish can be tricky. Their skin is really tough and once you're hooked into it
it can be a pain getting the hook out.

While handling Dog fish make sure you don't get whacked by the spines on the back of them.........nasty, and not funat all if you get pierced by one.....
Where are we allowed to use barbed hooks?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Barbed hooks are legal for bottomfish. They are not legal for salmon. They are also legal for Halibut.
I've caught many a dogfish while jigging for bottomfish with barbed hooks.

I once was stopped by a fisheries officer. he checked my entire gear. I had a tray full of hoochies with barbless hooks and I also had a tray full of jigs with barbed hooks.

That day I was salmon trolling and also later jigging for Ling and Kelp greenling.

I told him that I was doing both types of fishing that day.

He was more concerned about my hoochy hooks being barbless.

He finished up and went on to check somebody else.

Technically you are not supposed to use barbed hooks where salmon congregate. But on the other hand if you are fishing for Lings, there are sometimes salmon down around there as well.

In my mind Dogfish are "bottomfish" although they can be caught at different depths. But so can Rockfish,Lings and Kelp greenling.

The only species in the chuck that requires barbless hooks is salmon as far as I'm aware.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I'm a bit interested as well; had dogfish years ago when visiting my son in China; they make soup out of it and its not bad - not good either tho; I think its a cheap version of the sharkfin soup soon to be banned over here on the west coast. Other than that, I can't see why you would be gunning for them - they'll mess up your setup quicklike!

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
The only species in the chuck that requires barbless hooks is salmon as far as I'm aware.
Also need barbless for Steelhead, Cutthroat, Dolly Varden and Bull Trout if fishing from a tidal beach or tidal portion of a river, stream or estuary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts