BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone give me some pointers on these. have caught many rainbow and cutties in the past in both lakes but never dollies, have even tried downrigger trolling apex down 50', no luck!

·
Registered
730 Posts
in the stave head up to the hole in the wall, for dollies you must get below the kokanee meaning below the 50 foot level, fish near the bays with roe near the bottom, with a good fish finder look for the kokanee and below them you will see the dollies.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there certain times of year that roe works better than other times? ie fall better than spring? Also what works better, jigging underneath the kokes with a gibbs minnow type lure or troll through?
Do the kokes get a decent size in that lake?
Caught and released many cutties in the south end last year - lots of deadheads to watch out for but amazing action if timing's right. other times we've gone same spots with not a single hit... but that's what makes it interesting.
Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just as alternative, wrap a small strip of raw bacon around the roe bag... bizarre as this sounds it works on dollies...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've been fishing this lake for my whole life (it's in my neighbourhood 8)) and I've caught 1 kokanee I think ??? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of them, but some of them get to be a respectablbe size from what I've heard. I've caught a few dollies before too. Usually with my grandfather trolling hoochies behind flashers, or giant kwik fish, or spoons. The power house way up the lake is a good place, especially if you want to cast to them. The snags where the lake opens up is another good place, troll close to them, but not close enough to be snagging bottom :p Good luck, let us know if you try.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chris... being local, how about hayward lake, looking for a place to take my son to get some decent fish locally in spring, we're also in maple ridge. Hayward any good? Also have you ever fished Glacier creek or upper stave, is that worth a try when boating season arrives?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yup I've fished hayward a gazzilion times, I used to walk down there every day after school ;D There can be some good fishing if you find the right places. The old wooden bridge has good fishing for pike minnow and the odd trout, and the beaver pond is about the same idea, and if you hike the reservoir trail a bit there are a few good spots along there. The fishing isn't very good until about march unfortunately.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi chris - just picked up Junior his first fishing rod he's excited about using - the bridge by hayward, just wondering what's a good technique for the pike minnows? Standard worm/bobber?
tx
Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fish the powerhouse on Stave for the dollies and you should pick one up if they're biting as it can be hit and miss. You can see the kok's boiling on the surface on a good day. Best to use a downrigger to get down to where the dollies are, but watch out for snags and bottom. Stave is a great place to lose alot of gear. My brother has the biggest between us there at 14lbs, and Allouette has some nice dollies too, with my biggest at 12lbs.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice Butt. How deep to you downrig this time of year vs. Summer? Have you tried glacier creek area / upper stave river?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Depth is going to be different each time because Stave is really a resevoir and it depends on how much water they've let out. We can have water right at the edge of the lot at the cabin one week, and two weeks later you might have to drive out 1/4 to 1/2 a mile through the gravel and snags to launch the boat. Best method I have found for finding your depth to fish is to troll your route without the gear in the water and keep an eye on the sounder. Then try your gear at 10 feet above the shallowest point you monitored. Make a few rounds and if nothing hits it, keep bringing it up in 5 foot increments until you find them. Of course if you see any lunkers on the sounder, go right to that depth and try.

Anyways, that's how I go about it. My brother does better and goes most weekends, whereas I live on the sunshine coast and might only get up there once or twice a year. Alligator point is another spot to fish and is good for some big rainbows.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good info, thanks. Incidently how big do the rainbow get in there?
Also you mentioned alouette lake have either of you ever landed any lake trout in there in recent years? i'm wondering if they still exist there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lakers were originally stocked in 1969. Those fish would be monsters now as they grow about an inch and a pound a year on average. I'll have to check the stocking data, but I beleive they put some more in around the late 90's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry, forgot to reply about the rainbows in stave. There are some good ones in there. There is a fishing derby amonst the cabin owners each labour day weekend, and I think the biggest recorded is about 8lbs.

I've sent you a PM teppit.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey guys, good advice BU, I always wonder who lives in the cabins. As for the fish off of the bridge, yes worm and bobber works very well, but I'd wait a few months to try. The fish in there just seem to dissapear in the winter ???

·
Registered
25 Posts
The cabins were originally just summer cottages, but now there are many fulltimers living there. I wouldn't expect it too long before they are all fulltimers. Also, some are more than just cabins now, and just like everywhere else in lower mainland communities, there are some monster type houses going in.

Had to look up pikeminnow, didn't know they changed the name of the lowly squawfish. Must be a PC thing I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts