BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well spent the first two weeks of January attending a wedding in Punta Cana, and packed my fly rod along to do a little surf and flats casting. Spent about seven mornings walking the beach searching for any sign of fish and wearing my arm out to no avail. Seen many locals throwing nets up and down the beach which was a little discouraging, seems that the inshore fishery is virtually void of fish. Chartered a boat with the rest of the wedding party and bobbed and weaved through dozens of long nets that were set offshore, skunked aswell. It was nice to see a different culture and had a great trip, but my next trip will be some where that hasn't been so badly over fished. Hopefully the Dominican Government starts some sort of conservation efforts in the area, as there was a couple flats I fished that definitely showed some potential and I did spot a couple of bones snorkelling in about twenty feet of water, so they are there. Next up is Mosquito Lagoon in march for redfish and sea trout, should be more fish arround there.

Bill

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
While I'm sorry to hear you got skunked, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 3rd world country like the Dominican Republic to institute fish limits.

I think they have bigger fish to fry ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
FF, if you're going to Cuba, take/rent some gear for Barracudas. Cudas and shark are all I found down there. Plenty of both! You get so damned tired of taking them off your gear. But the fishing is cheap, and so is the beer!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If you want good weather, good fun and some GOOD fishing, plan your trip to Belize. One of my good friends is from the area and there are lots of good spots to fish for bones......Guides are less expensive and plentifull....do some home based research....they have excellent resorts there and better weather than some other areas of the carribean........PS....take me with you........Ortho 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts