BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got your attention! :thumbup:

The salmon of the mid coast are under extreme threat of extinction. On this site, there have been at least 3 threads started in the past week or so talking about this problem and asking what we can do about it. Politicians need to get on board and act in the interest of the salmon and the people of the province. They will do nothing unless they are lobbied. We as constituents of the members have a strong voice, and we must start demanding our representatives act in our interest. To that end I have prepared a short letter, which you can copy and send to your MLA (BC legislator) and MP (Federal representative). You can find your MLA’s address at:
http://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/3-1-1.htm
Your MP can be found here:
http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

Please take the short time necessary to act on this. It is vitally important, regardless of your political leanings and affiliation.

Dear (insert MLA or MP name)

I am writing you in regard the plight of wild salmon stocks on the central coast of BC. As you are well aware by now, the eminent magazine Science has just released a reviewed report that concludes that BC’s wild pink salmon in the Broughton Archipelago face extinction within 4 years if drastic measures are not taken in respect to salmon farming. This is the latest report to come out, but far from the only one. Dr. Alexandra Morton has been issuing the same message for the past four or five years. A paper published last year in the North American Journal of Fisheries Management found that dying pink salmon smolts carried twice the load of blood-sucking sea lice as healthy fish. The self-interested aquaculture industry dismisses this research as biased. The federal department of fisheries and oceans, mandated to protect wild stocks while promoting aquaculture, protests that the studies "overstate" risks. The British Columbia provincial government ignores the problem even as its own legislature committee on sustainable aquaculture advises otherwise. Norway, has lost its wild salmon stocks to sea lice infestations caused by fish farming. Ireland is currently facing extinction to it’s wild stocks due to sea lice infestations attributed to fish farms. In light of the overwhelming evidence at our disposal, why is our government not acting to save the wild salmon stocks in BC?

This is your chance to bring pressure to bear on the government to act, and act now, to ensure the continued existence of wild salmon In British Columbia. The possibility of securing my support, for you and your party in the next election, is dependent on your actions in this. I thank you in advance for your help in this vital matter.
Yours truly.
(your name)

Please feel free to edit this letter to satisfy your own take on the matter, but do act on this. It might actually cause a change in the desperate plight of some of the wild stocks we all love to fish.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I sent my MLA's as well as my MP a letter as soon as the story came out on global. I also sent a letter to the federal fisheries critic. I have yet to here from any of them. In the New Year I will send them all a follow up letter to see where they are in discussing this matter. I will not let it rest until I get a answer from them.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thank you Proffesori,

mail sent to MP and MLA. :beerchug:

I didn't notice this letter 'till today, maybe you should post it in all sections (as urgent) for bigger response.

Happy New Year Proff!!!!! :beerchug:

B.

G

·
I hate to be a stickler but you may want to change British Colombia to British Columbia (near the end of your letter). The MPs may not even notice, but I think it will add integrity to your letter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Something I don't understand is why these farms have to be located near these estuaries where the salmon smolts are sure to be affected. Is there some reason that these areas are more friendly to fishfarming and that they can't be relocated. Anybody have any thoughts or know anything about this.

·
Registered
477 Posts
woody said:
Something I don't understand is why these farms have to be located near these estuaries where the salmon smolts are sure to be affected. Is there some reason that these areas are more friendly to fishfarming and that they can't be relocated. Anybody have any thoughts or know anything about this.
My assumption is that the areas close to these estuaries provide sheltered water. Sheltering their net pens from vicious seas means they aren't losing any ATLANTIC salmon :pissed:, not damaging the net pens that house the fish and, most importantly, not losing any $$$!

What I want to know is: if the farming of salmon here on the coast is such a lucrative business, why can't these companies do it in sealed containment areas on dry land well away from oceans and streams? I'm thinking the practice of fish farming can be done in climate controlled warehouses with state-of-the-art water filtration and purification systems to sustain these 'drugged out junky fish'.

-Nathan in NW

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thats great Prof, this makes it quicker and simpler for everyone to voice our opinion on this issue. :thumbup:
I will be sending mine out ASAP.
I wonder if something similar can be set up with regards to the situation on the Upper Pitt. The easier we make it, the more letters may be sent.

Spreading the word,

Baiter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.