BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used a down rigger. Does anyone have a link to a good site with some beginner information or wish to share the knowledge they have with getting the down rigger set up. I have everything mounted on the boat for it I just am not certain how to rig the line to it and what not. Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
770 Posts
GrandA said:
I have never used a down rigger. Does anyone have a link to a good site with some beginner information or wish to share the knowledge they have with getting the down rigger set up. I have everything mounted on the boat for it I just am not certain how to rig the line to it and what not. Any advice would be appreciated
If anything you should know of this website..

www. scotty.com

forget any other manufacturer.

Depending on what depth you want to fish to, I recommend anywhere from a 10 to 15 lb ball. a 10 lb ball is fine for slow trolling, but a 15 is a better idea if you're fishing with flashers, multiple stacked lines, etc.

Get the good release clips---scotty powergrips.

Fish your flashers anywhere from a 12 to 25 feet lead from your wire depending on the circumstances.

When stacking, you may want to go on the longer side, and use anywhere from 12 to 20 feet depending on your fishing scenario, or as much as you like depending on your fishing situation.

If fishing no flashers, you can stack 'em quite tight when you find the "fishy" depth, and get away with a smaller ball depending on the water conditions.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fishinmagician hit the nail on the head when he said get the good release clips! Before I wised up I lost a few fish because of inferior clips. As an example, a few years back while down rigging for coho off Point Roberts, I had to nail the rod hard to get the coho to release from the clip because they were not that big, after the clip released the line you could feel the fish. Well the rod started to shake and a bit of line peeled off then stopped , I thought it was a small coho and had not released the clip so I grabed the rod and took up the slack and started jerking like an idiot. I broke my white hoochie and 30# test off in the 25# white springs mouth ! The reason I know the fish was a white spring of 25lbs is on my next pass after re rigging I hooked and landed the same fish with my other hoochie in his mouth! I will never make that mistake again! ;D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bonanza - Where were you fishing at Point Roberts off of the Marina?? I am there all summer crabbing and fishing.

I have another downrigging question. So I am at the point of whether I buy an electric and spend the bucks or the manual? Any preferences??

·
Registered
249 Posts
GrandA said:
Bonanza - Where were you fishing at Point Roberts off of the Marina?? I am there all summer crabbing and fishing.

I have another downrigging question. So I am at the point of whether I buy an electric and spend the bucks or the manual? Any preferences??
I was at the Sportsmans Show yesterday and talked to the Scotty reps. He said while they have manual ones, for the most part, people buy the motorized. The manual are $300 and the motorized start at about $500. You'll laugh, but when I asked him why anyone would buy the manual ones, he said (with a straight face), "for exercise".

For my money, I'm going to go with the motorized.

·
Registered
249 Posts
GrandA said:
hm - well I better start saving . . ! Cause I need two
How many rods do you want to run simultaneously?

I would only have two, so I was initially thinking the same thing as you. I asked the Scotty rep about two lines per DR and was told that it's definately do-able. Being a complete salt water neophyte, I figured I'd need one per rod; not at all!

In fact, the larger Scotty (http://www.scotty.com/marine/products/product/downriggers/electric/1114.html) is desgined for AT LEAST 2 rods.

So, you *may* not need two.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very good point - so you would run both the lines off of the one weight? Then you would have two release lines on the wire? How do you make sure they do not get tangled up?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'll respond, but don't forget, this isn't coming from my first-hand knowledge on the subject. I'm merely reiterating what the Scotty rep told me. There are a lot more people in this forum that will advise you based on their knowledge, not someone else's ;)

Yes, you'd use two different lines off your main cable each with it's own release, etc. If you space them roughly 20'-25' apart on the rigger's cable, especially if you're using flashers, you should be ok. Much less and you run the risk of getting them tangled. Also, use 2 stopper beads - one for the upper and one for the lower line, so that if you press the button to auto-retrieve the cable, it won't suck your first line right in a bugger up your rigger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts