BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a good source for lead and want to make my own downrigger weights. I've found some good molds for cannonballs with fins but I'd rather find a pancake mold for 15lb. Anyone got an idea where to look. I've exhausted all the google sites looking for a pancake mold...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Have you tried the second hand boating store in Steveston or possibly one of the comercial shops there.

Another, possiblity is to make a sand/clay mold. I remeber doing that in metal work class for aluminum (sp) casting. If your going to try it I would take out a book or too on it but the basic idea is you make two square boxes and put a mold (another ball should do) pore sand in pack it down with two holes on one side to put the lead in and let air out. It should work for lead as it melt at a much lower temperature than Alumimum. Before you try the first time, I would make the mold a few practice times because its hard to make a good mold the first time. Back in the day we make sword, book end, and axe heads this way... teacher thought it was ok to make wepons at school cause alumimiun doesn't hold a good edge.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yeah i hear ya....i have a ventilator mask and heavy gloves etc....I have tried the round ones and i just find when you are in the currents particularly in the harbour you get less pull on the weight if its a pancake. Also the pancake has the stainless fin on it that you can bend out a bit to lessen your chances of crossing lines...if i can't find a pancake mold i will be forced to try the balls again cause the cost of weights is killing me....winter fishing near the bottom can be a bit costly

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
it takes a lot of breathing those fume to do anything to ya (in all honesty) melting a few molds a year or every few wont do much to ya(speaking from experiance) better safe than sorry tho.
As for pancakes, we tend to stay away from them in sooke because of the tides, the round leads with the fin fish far better than the flat ones. Generally we fish the 12's and some the 15's, the 8-10's are somewhat useless round here unless fishing then off a third rigger out the back. Id pick up a 12 with the fin mold.....wont be dissapointed

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Fishaholic said:
it takes a lot of breathing those fumes to do anything to ya (in all honesty) melting a few molds a year or every few wont do much to ya(speaking from experiance) better safe than sorry tho.
As for pancakes, we tend to stay away from them in sooke because of the tides, the round leads with the fin fish far better than the flat ones. Generally we fish the 12's and some the 15's, the 8-10's are somewhat useless round here unless fishing then off a third rigger out the back. Id pick up a 12 with the fin mold.....wont be dissapointed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.