BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to saltwater fishing, I was wondering how to attach two lines to one down rigger. I have a Scotty with two rod holders. I know how to attach to the downrigger line but do not know which rod goes deeper; the one at the stern end of the downrigger or the bow end. And if there are any tips as to attaching each rod to the downrigger line. Also, If I am running two downriggers with 4 rods and I get a hit, do I bring all the tackle and downriggers back up to avoid tangles with the fish

·
Banned
189 Posts
In the end it doesn't really matter, pick a rod holder and stick with it.

Just have the drags on both reels loosened but not too loose when dropping lines and don't go too fast.

Running the top rod closer to the wire helps with tangles.

When you get a fish on it all depends, if it's a screamer that heads for the open ocean and you have lots of line then don't bother bringing up the others but if he then decides to charge the boat.... :wallbash:

Maintaining forward motion with a fish on is important in most conditions you don't want to dead in the water.

·
Registered
143 Posts
5stewarts,
your in for a learning curve. As the upper states, go slow to start with. The lower line I run to the side and is attached by a release clip at the ball, then the rear is the upper, when fishing springs I seperate the 2 by 15 to 20 feet. That said you will have one clip at the ball and another at about the 20 ft. mark. The line behind the clip can be a factor. I personally run them 20 ft. or more behind the cable. Be consistant with this distance. Lower them slowly to start, have the drag set so the lowering is not a problem then tighten up the tension after set at desired depth, then set so a screamer can still take line, you want to pick up the slack between the release clip and rod tip to read a strike. Run straight ahead when lowering the 2 riggers as to not move gear under the path. Once there down you can change coarse, make your turns more gradual till you get used to it, flying 4 in a hard tide push on 2 riggers can be not fun then just fish 2, you'll see.Some helpers for you, put a piece of surgical tube on the clip where the cable sits to make it stay in place or use the various locators from scotty etc. These locators may shorten your cable life as the wind back and forth on the spool, place them where you want your clips. Sometimes you get a fish that tangles everything, this is hard to avoid, generally after the take or strike I tend to give the fish some time to see what it's doing then start bringing them up if it's a good size and you may have to chase the fish. When fishing socks, I leave all four down and some times get 3 or 4 on at once, they will school and stay with your attractors and gear. Good luck to you, visist Scotty's web site. H/T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.