BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of trying braided line and was wondering if any one has did it and how it has produced?

Cheers, Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is expensive stuff, but it takes away the need for a black box. Theoretically it should produce more and last longer than steel, but I have yet to try it. Rumor has it that Scotty's supplier can no longer produce it so scotty is looking for another supplier.

·
Registered
816 Posts
No, strech braided will not work and the line scotty has out is good but to change it for existing cable is expensive. If money matters not do it.
As for Braid and downrigger: the no strech properties of the line make it a bad choice for rigger. The action of wave and quick jerks with break most dacron and braded lines ever with a 15lb ball.
:oops: I hope I did not infuance any one... it worked with a 3lb ball but not 15lb.
Have fun, Jason.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would advise against using braided or Dacron lines. I tried it once for prawn traps and found that as soon as the line comes into contact with anything even remotely sharp in the boat when it is under strain, you have to go buy two new prawn traps!
It simply won't stand up the the abrasion that S.S. cable will.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Downrigger Weight Snubber would add the need stretch and help with Braided break problems.

I wonder how 300-400lbs Mono would work for Downriggers? No problem with zero strench, can be crimped just like stainless, no corrosion, and no line hum.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
5-Salt Fever said:
I wonder how 300-400lbs Mono would work for Downriggers? No problem with zero strench, can be crimped just like stainless, no corrosion, and no line hum.
ahh yes but, major line drag and no electrolysis

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Finally

Well, finally have a freind that went out and picked up the braided line, he had put it on his two downriggers. he borrowed my downrigger (with steel line) for a third as he had 3 tickets for the juan de fuca derby. i told him to check the voltage on mine because it was set up to fish with my boat (not an aluinum), well, my downrigger fished .52v on his boat and to his amazement his two downriggers fished 0 :lol: . he then immediately went out and bougt new steel line for his which brought them up to .52 as well, (he wieghed in two springs for the derby, after not even getting a hit on the braided [only used one weekend])
the moral of this story THIS STUFF IS JUNK. do not waste your $$$ (unless you are using it for trolling halis) If scotty has put out a dumber product post it here! i cant think of one!

Wouldnt touch it with 20ft pole

·
Registered
36 Posts
Another VERY good reason not to use braided or dacron line is that when wound onto the spool under heavy strain, it will bind into itself, cutting underneath the outer layers of the spooled line resulting in major tangles. Once that stuff is snarled you usually don't have much choice but to cut it.

This is all really a moot point anyways. What's wrong with S.S?
It's strong. It has enough stretch. It doesn't cut easily if nicked, and it's a fraction of the cost of braided.

My $.02

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
this might help
http://www.sportsmanshow.net/Articles/article5.htm
i would tend to disagree with the .6v for spings, really it depends on finding the sweet spot for the boat you are running. for instance, i had my last boat running .63-.65v and couldnt touch a spring for my life!, i switched the scotty plastic lead clips for metal ones which dropped the voltage to .48, didnt get skunded after that (on springs) coho or pinks i had no problem even with the higher voltage. on the same note i have a friend running .7v on his boat and it is one of the hottest spring boats on the south coast, different boats like different voltages
now.... if you put a non-conducting line on your downriggers you will only be releying on the sight-bite relfex instead of using your downriggers to bring the fish to you
i would recomend fishing one dr with a metal clip and one with a plastic clip. you will find that one of them will catch fish more consistantly than the other no matter the gear hooked up to it or even throw a gangon line between the lead and the clip this will also change the voltage. once you have figured out what they want, switch all the dr's to the same set up and youll be laughing all the way to the derby wiegh scales. :wink: 8)
oh yeah, i have run the scotty black boxes and would now consider them a waste of $$. i think its much better to get the boat to fish properly without one. and for you guys that do run the black boxes try unplugging them and quickly tap the connectors together ( drives the coho, pinks and sox nuts, lol :wink: )

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
OK.How does one test to see if you are electrocuting the fish, and are chasing them away or you have just the right setup, and fill your boat every time?....Thanks, Ortho 8)

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
using a voltmeter (well grounded) on the 12v dc setting touch the postive lead to the dr cable while fishing. using the law of averages id say over .65v you probably wont see much in the way of springs and under .45-.47v you wont be attracting much in they way of any silver. anything negative your probably just burning gas (and have some serious wiring problems with your boat)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts