BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stayed up at Roberts Roost for the weekend with the family and did a little fishing but mostly camping. The water temperature in the top two feet was 71, was very warm, with some alga starting to form. Despite to the water temp we did manage some fish up to three pounds. My oldest daughter who is four, caught her first rainbow trout and it was very nice to see the massive smile and screeming of excitement, I think she is hooked! Pumped a couple fish and the majority of what was in their stomachs were size 18-20 granny smith chironies, of course I didn't have any that small. hehehe All in all it was a great time!! Managed to meet up with Royal Coachman quickly at the site and on the water, boy it was hot!!

:cheers: Rick

· Registered
3,378 Posts
I just returned from a week long trip on the M/C to Idaho. Talk about hot.....whew!!....112-115 degrees in Davenport/Wilbur area in the Coulee's south of the GC Dam. It cooled off in Wenatchee to 98F and we spent the night in Leavenworth and the night time low was 82F....
Now, Rick, if I had known you were going to be at Dragon, I would have given you the spot where Harry the 12 lb.er hangs out.......I'll show you the spot personally in October!... ;).......Glad you got the kid's started. It is always a thrill to watch a kid catch a fish...........Ortho 8)

· Premium Member
4,442 Posts
caught here first rainbow trout and it was very nice to see the massive smile and screeming of excitement
That was well worth the effort then for sure! I love that look in their eyes when they hook up. I have been taking my daughter to the local trout pond and she can't get enough. I am trying to teach her how to 'play' the fish properly. She tends to horse them to the bank and then wonders why they flop around so much when you try to remove the hook. :beerchug:

· Registered
546 Posts
Well here is a brief report on Dragon for June 30-July 4

Fished Dragon lake with my buddy Sheldon who had never fished the lake before. Fishing was slow during the 34 degree heat but we did manage a couple on Blonde Damsels fished on the slime line and sinking lines. When the fishing slowed on Damsels we tried Dragon fly nymphs fished in the deeper areas of the lake. The fish seemed to be holding down deep due to the heat but these fish can’t seem to ignore an easy meal.

Here is one of Sheldon's fish. Should have seen the look on his face when this fish came to the net :eek:.

For the last few days of the trip the weather cooled down and the fishing seemed to pick up. The most consistant action seemed to be when a weather system would move through creating some chop. These fish just cant get enough of the Dragon fly nymphs. Wonder if thats how the name Dragon lake came about :confused: Overall had a good trip and good seeing you again Rick.Look forward to going back again next year.

-RC

· Registered
546 Posts
Hi Matt,

You shouldn’t have any problems with a Pontoon.I fished it last year in my tube and was still able to find some fish. It is a good sized lake but I have found the best fishing at this time of year seems to be around Roberts Roost and around the Island.Print out a depth chart of the lake and fish the deeper water with at least a type III .I have not fished it in August so it’s hard to say what the fishing will be like but judging by the size of the fish they don’t seem to stop eating. You may want to concetrate fishing lower light levels early moring and around 6 at night. Burgandy micro leeches were also productive. Good luck

-RC

· Registered
47 Posts
I made it to Dragon a few times this season, outstanding fishing as always, one of my favorite lakes in the area. We got them on a bit of everything, muddlers, micro leaches, shrimp, with the Guarantee as one of the top producers. The submerged islands of weeds made it interesting latter in the year, I didn't like these floating blobs as much as the fish seemed to. Although we caught the highest numbers of fish we've seen in some time, the larger ones eluded us this season with our best at 23".

· Registered
593 Posts
Can I launch an 18 foot flat bottom Jon Boat in there with a 90HP outboard? I don't need much water to float, but a standard launch with a nice drop off is needed. Seems like a big enough lake where the boat would not be too big. I dream of using the bow mounted minn kota on a trout lake, but haven't done it yet.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Yes, no problem Driller, several launches there that will easily accommodate you. The legion campsite is more of a large shallow flat so people might look at you funny if you go ripping out of there, but you wouldn't have a problem. There are other launches, Roberts roost would be just fine, not sure about the one beside the road along the mountain there, but I expect you'd be fine there too...

· Registered
340 Posts
Fishing has been been really good for us . Ice came off totally by Tuesday, was some left in the bay here by Roberts Roost . Some fish up to 8 pounds have been caught the last few days. Our biggest has been 5 pounds.
Have caught fish all over the lake , in the 5 to 10 feet of water range .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.