BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys & Gals

Looks like I am going to be in Quesnel next week. :thumbup: Anyone have any recent reports or going to be in the area and want to wet a line let me know. Hope to get some pics of walter :drunk: Never fished there before will be fishing from my tube so it should be a good workout :eek: I am thinking Dragons and Damsels should be on the menuhopefully not glassworms ???

Cheers

-RC

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hey RC, there are a few acsess points around the lake. One of the most common would be the boat launch at Legion Bay. In the tube I hope you won't have to go to far to find the fish. You may even want to see if you could launch at Robert's Roost, and park your truck there. From there you could kick around the corner to the island and work the shoal in between. Give me a buzz beofre you go.

Finder ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well had a great trip and got to see what all the Dragon lake hype is about :happy:

Fishing was fair to good for the first 4 days and tapered down the last 3 days I was there. Dragons,Damsels and at night big burgundy leech generated some attention. The last 3 days there was a huge daphnia hatch going on and fishing slowed considerably. :wallbash: :confused: My range was limited in the tube but luckily didn't have to go far from the launch to get into fish :thumbup:

Heres a fish from the nursery as Fish Finder would say :p

Dragon on A Dragon

A release shot

Early am the dragon worked pretty good, once the sun was bright on the water I switched up to the TAN damsels and had some memorable takes.One hot fish hit my damsel when i had about 20' of slime line sitting on my apron. The fish hit and ran took the line in a big ball which went through the guides in a big knot. Got to the last guide and was too big to fit :eek: I was expecting the leader to snap but the fish stopped. I was able to pull the knot back through the guides and get the knot undone. As soon as the knot was undone the fish must have felt the vibration on the line and took the rest of my line went into the backing. Finally got the fish close and it just sat under the boat with its tail at a 45 to me, I couldn't budge it :-\ Decided to try and muscle it in since I was using 7lb floro and it started doing crazy head shakes and spit the hook :'( I can still see the chrome flash when I close my eyes :D :'( Now I know what all the hype is about ;). Here is the biggest fish landed of the trip :happy:

Cariboo Sunset

Cant wait to do it again soon ;D I guess its time to try out some trout streams and soon some pinks on the fly. Gotta love BC

:beerchug:

-RC

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nice slabs man :thumbup: Looks like an amazing trip.... I'm kicking myself right now as I type for not coming up there. Sounds like you're lucky you didn't break your rod though. Shoot me a pm if you're thinking of wetting a fly soon. :cheers:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey RC,

Great report and great pics. Good to see that you got into some quality fish. :thumbup: What depth were you hitting most of your fish at? And do you have any idea what the water temp was? Also what type of areas were the fish holding. Flats, weed edges, transitions, shoals, etc? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Shoot me a PM if you want to. Awesome fishing and thanks for sharing your exitement. :beerchug:

Tight Lines, Nates

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TC: Will be talking to you soon :cheers:

Nates;

Working the Dragon on the shoal/transition was productive. Casting onto the shoals from deeper water earlier in the early am and later at night was also productive. Damsels seemed to work pretty good on the slime line throughout the water column but when the water was calm and the sun was bright over the water had better luck going deep.Fish were working the shoals but hit most of my fish in 20-30' range. Surface temp was around 68.5. I was launching from Roberts Roost and had most of my luck in the deeper water off "Dragon Fly Shoal" and "Triangle Point" also some luck around "Black bird Island". With the bigger fish caught on the drop off near "Dragon Fly Shoal". Also noticed some mayfly activity, tried a halfback for a bit but didn't have any takers :confused:. There were also some #8 chronomid shucks observed, bigger than anything I had with me :wallbash: Tried the largest pattern I had for a bit but again no takers. Need to stock up on my bomber collection i guess ::)

Make sure your gear is in good shape these fish will test it to the limits. Another fisherman lost his entire flyline when his backing snapped just behind the backing knot :eek:

HTH

:beerchug:

-RC

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks RC,

That is a pretty detailed description of your outing. I appreciate the info. :thumbup: I am even more eager to get up there and give those fish a go. :beerchug:

Tight Lines, Nates

·
Registered
224 Posts
I fished this lake as a kid as I have allot of family in Quesnel.

Anyways I finally got to fish it again this year in May. I had an absolutely awesome time. These fish are amazing. Most of my fish were caught using micro leeches under an indicator.

Thanks for reporting this as it brings me back to ealier this year. I only got 3 days of fishing when I went but next year I will go for a week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.