BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering what you guys take along with you, if you want to leave that old tackle box back at the car...

Your goto favorite things/gear/tools/fishing gear, that you must have with you while your out there on the water.

looking to head to the vedder in the next 2 weeks, i want to pack light
Will be doing some drift fishing for steelies, with this new 3113 sage 8)

its been a while

Thanks a million!

-dan

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Well... live bait is #1. Other than that, pink/white jigs, and pink/white spin and glows, and pink curly squid tails and some red wool.
Are you trying to stir the pot here?? You should know live bait is not permitted on BC Rivers :mad: Great example you are setting here!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Stirring the pot? Great example... huh? I think you have grossly misunderstood me.

The question this gentleman asked was what would I pack as my go to if I was to pack light? Answer: Bait, then my jigs and spin glows. How is that a bad example? I never fish outside of the regs! Bait is allowed on all 4 streams that I fish... and I am in BC! Vancouver Island is still part of BC... for now... you wouldn't know it with all the focus on Vancouver lately.

For example these rivers allow bait:
Stamp River
Sproat River
There are also some streams that allow bait that are smaller and are tribs of the above.
If you go and fish the above rivers, you will find that every guide that runs those rivers has a lot of tied roe bags on board!

Rick I don't really understand your over reaction???!!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I believe bugs are very alive when fished as well Rick, I think you meant no live aquatic invertabrates, as surely dew worms and bugs are commonly fished live.
I have however come behind numerous guys using bugs lately and popped fish with jigs, the guys were rather pissed and surprised to say the least, live bait is not always the trigger to get fish biting, sometimes a large gaudy lure with the ability to incite anger and attack response wins the day on fish that are not actually feeding.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Here is the section out of the regs on what is permitted for baits in British Columbia!

Yes, that what I was thinking, and was not thinking about worms and sand shrimp at time more along the lines of live fish. :eek: Anyways my apologies to steelheadvanisl for jumping the gun and making it more than it was. It goes to show you how something can be interpreted on the Internet and hopefully some can learn something from this, as I did. :eek:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hey daniel,I see yo are getting back to the adaction thats great wish you good luck.
As far as what to carry with you goes,I try to stay as light as possible,couse of the hiking I usually do,I use jigs,blades,prawns,pink worms,jensen eggs,so a small box of jigs,5-10 blades,litlle bag of prawns,maybe 10 pink worms,some pretiyed leaders,and a some jensen eggs,leader whel litlle bag of split shot,two to three floats,if you short float proparly one float should last you a long time on avarage a a month with me anyways,scissors which i have atached to my jacket,all this can easally fit in my jacket pockets.
Now i carry a dry bag which is 100% water proof,goes around my waist and i pack a knife in there and some food and a bottle of water, so i dont have to by lunch as i usually I'm out for the day.

That,s about it for what i bring with me,i always try to keep it the minimum couse over time if you spend a lot of time stealheading with some weight on your back and fishing a 11'3" rod which is the same as mine your back will start to feel it,you want it or not.

keep in mind everyone has their own favorite thing and their own way,i hope this will give you an idea of what you wanted to hear.

Cheers and good luck outthere dont get em all.

P.S. dont forget your fishing rod lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Roe bags, shrimp, pretied hooks with baitloops, pencil lead, cat gut, floats, swivels, flask of fireball, basically everything it takes to replace the tackle on a snag, and the fireball is for consolation after the snag...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
float, pencil lead, swivels, pink worm, pips container filled with pre tied leaders. roe, roe bags, prawns, ghost shrimp, jensen eggs, light peach wool.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
an old die hard that has worked very well for me for years ecspecially in low clear water conditions is a simple small wool tie with peach, white and a bit of bubble gum pink, very small, the size of your pinky finger fingernail, trimmed around the shape of your fingernail so it looks like a single egg when drifted.....have found it deadly in the right water conditions

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent posts. Thanks guys! appreciate your tips and tricks.

i picked up a curado 200E7 today.

I was debating the 300E but the gear ratio of 7:1 or whatever... seems like it will be nice for that 1000 casts to 1 steelhead issue lol..

I only really fish small rivers and dont seem to cast out too far (even when fishing the fraser) so i couldnt seem to justify the bigger 300E which holds more line...
Maby i should make a thread for this one to see what the responses are. would hate to think i shoulda bought the 300E lol.. (might do that to get some feedback)

anyhow i will take your tips, and appreciate your tips on wool ties.

I have just begun tying small ties and found a few things on the net regarding egg tying, like the fly fishermen do. basically, its the wool through the egg loop look, but perfected. if you have the patience you can really prepare some nice egg patterns.. but all that aside, i was thinking, wouldnt a jensen egg be just as good? or is it better to go wool, to perhaps add scent... and if thats true, what scent do you guys like to add up there in chilliwack. in my scent department i use that mikes scent stuff, the sand shrimp, anchovey, salmon, and herring flavor ones. (at least when im fishing under lions gate for those coho's)
i seem to get more luck with the shrip and herring ones, but i tend to shy away from the other 2..

what are your thoughts here?

thanks for all the posting, this is a great site for chit chat, and learning the game from the vets ;)

(its only my second year doing this.. ever since i hooked my first spring up there last year, that was it lol)

Cheers!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hey daniel,I see yo are getting back to the adaction thats great wish you good luck.
As far as what to carry with you goes,I try to stay as light as possible,couse of the hiking I usually do,I use jigs,blades,prawns,pink worms,jensen eggs,so a small box of jigs,5-10 blades,litlle bag of prawns,maybe 10 pink worms,some pretiyed leaders,and a some jensen eggs,leader whel litlle bag of split shot,two to three floats,if you short float proparly one float should last you a long time on avarage a a month with me anyways,scissors which i have atached to my jacket,all this can easally fit in my jacket pockets.
Now i carry a dry bag which is 100% water proof,goes around my waist and i pack a knife in there and some food and a bottle of water, so i dont have to by lunch as i usually I'm out for the day.

That,s about it for what i bring with me,i always try to keep it the minimum couse over time if you spend a lot of time stealheading with some weight on your back and fishing a 11'3" rod which is the same as mine your back will start to feel it,you want it or not.

keep in mind everyone has their own favorite thing and their own way,i hope this will give you an idea of what you wanted to hear.

Cheers and good luck outthere dont get em all.

P.S. dont forget your fishing rod lol

Thanks for this post!

Exactly what i was lookin for. Im definately a pack my own lunch, im stayin out the whole day kind of fishermen as well.

plus buying food up there+driving out from burnaby, its pricey if your dedicated.
last fall i was up there as much as i could catchin springs, and pinks over at peg leg. lots of fun even with the crowd. always something to see lol.. good or bad, always something

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am a rather new angler and gear guy hoping to fly one day. I have however learned that bringing my entire tackle box down to the flow with me will not improve my chances of bringing in more fish. It also keeps me a little more focused on my plan of attack for the day whether It's a "learning experience"::)or an experience of a lifetime. So hears what I bring.

GEAR: A good set of needle nose, a sharp knife and my rod reeled float/weight on and ready to go.
TACKLE:I have a leader board pocketed with half a dozen pretied rigs(blades,wool,pinkworms) clip on ready for fish that aren't taking my finely presented JIGS!!!!
"BAIT" A ziplock with good ole jensons and maybe some tipping prawns

The only extra gear that I might not use but need to have is a breast pocket with 10 ft of leader, spare float/weight and a couple hooks.
As I try to cover only a km or 2 of river thoroughly before I move on, I walk back to my truck either for more gear and a drive to the next hole or with my prize in hand. Hatchery only!

Thanks to all these fine gents on here I've learned to trust my gear and fish it right, if your doing that you shouldn't need a tackle shop following you around.

Not an egg any more:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts