BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm coming up to Kitimat in the middle of June (17-19) and want to drift the river. I have a 9 foot pontoon, but don't want to go it on my own. Anyone interested on a half day or so drift on the Sunday? Alternatively can anyone recommend a guide? I'll be flyfishing (I'll bring both my single and double handers). If there are no takers on drifting, if anyone's interested in flingin' feathers, let me know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you make it in to Kitimat,go to home hardware and ask for Pat.He'll give you all the info you need guys.

T

·
0 Posts
I am from Alberta, and am heading up to Kitimat In the first week of August. I was wondering if it is possible to float the Kitimat river with the FishCat Cougar 8. What are the flies I should be tying up for my August excursion? Are there many access, drop off/pickup points on the kitimat river?

Thanks,
Rene

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Thanks Jiggy I will talk to Pat. Hey, where's Polymar (sp?) bar on the skeena? That's supposed to be decent for bar fishing.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Tconcave said:
I am from Alberta, and am heading up to Kitimat In the first week of August. I was wondering if it is possible to float the Kitimat river with the FishCat Cougar 8. What are the flies I should be tying up for my August excursion? Are there many access, drop off/pickup points on the kitimat river?

Thanks,
Rene
I wouldn't try floating the Kitimat with a Fishcat 8' :shock: ...I've heard of people floating the Chiliwack River with an 8 foot pontoon, but these guys were quite experienced! How much experience do you have floating larger rivers? I'd feel safer doing it in a 9 or 10 footer. I wouldn't attempt it myself. That's just my 2 bits...How big does the Kitimat River get? Anyone? Cheers! -Nathan in NW

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not sure where Polymar bar is but will ask around for ya.I haven't drifted the Kitimat this year so I can't tell you the conditions.There were a couple logjams last year where you had to be cautious but as you know the river changes all the time.I have seen quite a few pontoons coming down though.Not sure what length they were but they did look pretty small.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys. I've been going to the Kitimat/Terrace area for years and have come to have a good relationship with Ron Wakita, long time guide in the area and owner of the Home Hardware. He's worth the money to go on a drift with, he's busy so book it early. Also, last year we did a half day trip on a jet boat and back trolled the estuary of the kitmat river and it was awesome. We were done in 3 hours, this is also good to because the area is classified as salt water. You can keep to from the salt and two from the freshwater to make your trip that much more meaty. Talk to Ron and he'll get you set up with Mal, jet boat pilot and guide for the estuary. Good luck!!! Hang on!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, made it to Kitimat on the weekend. Moved my Dad up there, left Kelowna on Friday and returned home on Monday- factor in the unloading of furniture, assembling shelves, putting stuff away= little time for fishing. Not enough time for a drift, but I did manage to get out for an hour or two twice with the Spey rod. Hooked and battled a couple nice ones between the Hatchery and Methanex on a small bar- lost them both and almost got spooled on the second one. It makes you pucker a bit when you're watching the last 1/3 of your backing peeling off and wondering if that arbour knot would hold! While working the long rod I noticed lots of action along the shore behind me so before leaving I switched up and went to the single hander- landed two nice 2-3 lber's, hooked about 6, missed hooking up on about another 5 strikes all in a half hour. All in all a nice 2 hours on the flow! What a river.

Watched some guys landing in rented "drift boats" that a local is renting. $200 per drift, no guide, in little punts that I'm not sure I'd take out on Okanagan lake! Scary. Can't wait for the week I'll be there in early Septemer!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sparky said:
Well, made it to Kitimat on the weekend. Moved my Dad up there, left Kelowna on Friday and returned home on Monday- factor in the unloading of furniture, assembling shelves, putting stuff away= little time for fishing. Not enough time for a drift, but I did manage to get out for an hour or two twice with the Spey rod. Hooked and battled a couple nice ones between the Hatchery and Methanex on a small bar- lost them both and almost got spooled on the second one. It makes you pucker a bit when you're watching the last 1/3 of your backing peeling off and wondering if that arbour knot would hold! While working the long rod I noticed lots of action along the shore behind me so before leaving I switched up and went to the single hander- landed two nice 2-3 lber's, hooked about 6, missed hooking up on about another 5 strikes all in a half hour. All in all a nice 2 hours on the flow! What a river.

Watched some guys landing in rented "drift boats" that a local is renting. $200 per drift, no guide, in little punts that I'm not sure I'd take out on Okanagan lake! Scary. Can't wait for the week I'll be there in early Septemer!
I've only heard good things about these boats,he only rents to experienced guys,Rookies need not apply.One of the guys that builds them knows the Kitimat better than anyone.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure they are structurally sound- they look like rock solid little bandits. . . it's the "little" that I personally would not feel comfortable with myself. And the $200. . . I was quoted $300 for a half day drift with guide which seems to be worth the extra $100. But hey, if it get's a guy on the water, and you're experienced with drifting. . . whatever floats your boat!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah they aren't for the faint of heart. :lol: They initially did a test run to see if there any improvements to be made and have been improving them as they go.I asked to buy one but since I told them I had never done the river alone they refused.Myself and one of the builders were one of the unlucky guys that lost their job due to the plant closure.He does it as a hobby more or less,not sure about the other guy though.By the way that spot is still hot! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Was there a plant closure in kitimat lately???? :(

I was thinking about applying to some of the places in kitimat. Where do I apply to?

T

·
0 Posts
Nice_One said:
Tconcave said:

Thanks,
Rene
I wouldn't try floating the Kitimat with a Fishcat 8' :shock: ...I've heard of people floating the Chiliwack River with an 8 foot pontoon, but these guys were quite experienced! How much experience do you have floating larger rivers? I'd feel safer doing it in a 9 or 10 footer. I wouldn't attempt it myself. That's just my 2 bits...How big does the Kitimat River get? Anyone? Cheers! -Nathan in NW
That is quite contradictory to the articles I have read about the Kitimat. Do you have much experience on the kitimat? If so, I would easily take your word for it. My river drifting experience is quite limited and I don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks,
Rene

·
Registered
120 Posts
I drift the Kitimat as often as i can and wouldnt do so with anything smaller than a 9ft.

8ft boats are made for lakes not rivers.........like the bucks bag...cimmarron, etc..

People do float with them alot, but it is not safe, especially if the river is high.

T

·
0 Posts
Thank you all for the information. I made my way to Kitimat and had a blast hammering all the Chum on the fly rod. I had a very nice local guide me down the river in my FishCat Cougar 8. We had no problems at all and I would feel confident in performing the same drift on my own (pending the same conditions were evident).

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well ya proved us nay-sayers wrong...you made it in an 8fter! Cheers to ya! -Nathan in NW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts