BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
The river looks like it would be tough to drift but if you can the water levels can raise and drop in the blink of an eye so you have to be really carefull. Not to steal this topic but is there anybody that has caught any steely's out of there lately?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I would suggest that the driftable portion would be quite short, unless you are excellent with the oars. Some people put in at Statlu or the upper bridge and drift the canyon but I think there is some serious water to be dealt with on the way down to the crossing. The lower is a mess of side channels and log jams below Easter Seal (now the Chehalis Healing Center) some some serious pre-scouting would be needed.

I am not saying it would be impossible but you would have to be good on the oars, that is for sure.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know that in some spots it is class 5 rapids at times. And like JDOG said the levels can fluctuate very rapidly. I'm sure at low flow on a nice day it can be done. But you will still come across class 2-3 rapids. I was talking to a rafting guide that does chehalis and this is what he told me anyways :thumbup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I remember quite few years ago watching T.V show......B.C Sportfishing with host Mark Pennington (sp?) and fishing guide drifting through the Chehalis river's canyon in inflatable raft. They were going through quite few white water rapids and Mark caught nice Summer buck steelhead.

Silex-user.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There is a section that is driftable, however it is not really worth it as it would only span from the bridge to a massive log jam 100m before the hatchery channel outflow. Everything below that is obstructed with jams every so often, above the bridge you are into the canyon which would be tricky to say the least.

Others may have different opinions, this is mine from what I saw in November and December.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I have past experience with the river and at the present time, I wouldn't touch that river with a pontoon. Better to hike and out of the canyon. Just my :2cents: and quite a bit of whitewater experience...........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
886 Posts
I wouldn't do it. To many things can go wrong in a very short time... Believe me this river has a mind of its own... I am not going to get into detail... There are experences in life that you do and then never want to do them again... This is one of them for me... :cheers: sage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.