BC Fishing Reports banner

Drifting the Vedder

4K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Sea Chaser 
#1 ·
In light of the recent break ins and in an effort to discover new water and have a little fun, anyone have thoughts on drifting the Vedder?

If you had a few guys and vehicles you would be able to drop the boats and then leave the trucks in high visibility safer areas.

The questions that come to mind for me are...

What are the ideal put in and take out spots for the Upper, Mid and Lower? Peach Road...

What pieces of water should be avoided? Off the top of my head the Tamahi Bridge...

Where could one park vehicles that is a reasonable walk from the river and high vis?

How much river can one cover in a day? From previous experience I have found you cover far less than you think

How does one manage etiquette while drifting such a busy river? More so referring to drifting past anglers

How much does boats drifting past affect the fishing for those on the bank? I have been passed by rafting companies and not put too much thought into it, if anything I assume they move the fish closer to shore.

Does drifting provide new opportunities to try other methods by fishing from the boat?

The thought is very intriguing yet I worry about affecting others angling experience by floating through their water. On the other hand the scenery, access to water, great shore lunches and a little adventure sounds awesome.

Of course one should be prepared on any drift regardless of familiarity of the river; life jackets for everyone (always on); cell phones; maps, compass and gps; dry clothes in case of a dunk; rope and flotation rescue device; knife accessible at all times; drinking water; lighter and fire starter; signal device. I am sure others will have more ideas.

A few good friends, a few good cigars and a cold beer waiting at the end couldn't hurt....

See less See more
#5 ·
young gun said:
aren't u not allowed to fish from the boat, if i drifted the vedder it would be in feb, lauch at limit and go until the light runs out
There is no mention in the regs of any boating restrictions on the Vedder. I take that to mean that you can fish from the boat should you wish.

#6 ·
I don't think you could do it any time of year other than December or April, the river is just too busy to really get away with it...

We did a drift from Peach down to the KWB, but the angler numbers were very low. This was mostly for scouting purposes... This was on December 23rd.

A great way to see the river, and find all the spots!

General etiquette states that you drift on the opposite bank on larger runs - get into position and just float past, keeping your oars out of the water. On skinnier stretches, you must pull out your boat and walk behind anglers... That's where it gets tough during prime time.

Cheers,
Nicole

#8 ·
Nicole said:
I don't think you could do it any time of year other than December or April, the river is just too busy to really get away with it...

We did a drift from Peach down to the KWB, but the angler numbers were very low. This was mostly for scouting purposes... This was on December 23rd.

A great way to see the river, and find all the spots!

General etiquette states that you drift on the opposite bank on larger runs - get into position and just float past, keeping your oars out of the water. On skinnier stretches, you must pull out your boat and walk behind anglers... That's where it gets tough during prime time.

Cheers,
Nicole

Tell the kayakers that one.

#9 ·
If vehicle theft is one of your main reasons for drifting, I'll let you know something. It doesn't matter where you park if the theif wants in they do it. Day or night rain or shine lot's of people around or not. I've been thinking of drifting for some time now for the main reason being you can cover an insane amount of water throughout the day. ;D But with all the fisherman, I don't think it is worth it. I know I get pissed off when you know that you are the only soul to have hit a particular piece of water only to see them damn kayakers or rafters drift through it on your way to the hole. You might as well just turn around and walk out of there.

#10 ·
Your right Prof there are no restrictions regarding fishing from a boat on the Vedder. Nicole, were you guys beached below the X ing bridge for a while.? I was on my way to Yarrow and saw someone in a pontoon beached and fishing, I was going to pm Ortho to see if it was him, but forgot by the time I got home.
Is the Upper Vedder just a little too wild for pontoons? I just can't see running one of those down from Tamahi to the bridge,
Cheers,
Crazy D

#11 ·
fishin30 said:
I've been thinking of drifting for some time now for the main reason being you can cover an insane amount of water throughout the day.
I have found one covers very little water in regards to total distance. You do however get to water that you wouldn't normally and therefore get a lot more fishing in a day.

I find it surprising how 'slow' you move down a river.

The first drift I ever did we overestimated how far we would go, we were shooting for six km's and made it about 2. Granted we found lots of fishable water which slowed us down pretty good.

#12 ·
fishin30 said:
I know I get pissed off when you know that you are the only soul to have hit a particular piece of water only to see them damn kayakers or rafters drift through it on your way to the hole. You might as well just turn around and walk out of there.
I have had some good success after the kayaks drift through a run. Shakes the steel up. I find it snaps them out of the trance that they get into some times... Just my :2cents:

#13 ·
Hey Lastcar........Aside from the safety issues outlined at the start, any river is best drifted by a minimum of 2 people in separate 'toons. I would advise never running a river when their is debris floating in the river, or running any part of a river that has not been scouted in advance by foot. You should be a strong swimmer, and carry a throw rope and of course, wear a good low profile, self inflating CO2 life jacket.

The Chilliwack/Vedder is a nice drift. However, I would strongly advise you drift from Crossing down to Keith Wilson Bridge. There are no dangerous spots and the put in take out is pretty simple. If you want to pull out early, you can take out at Lickman, the Vedder Campground, or the trainbridge. Cottonwoods can be a bit tricky, so I would scout the area carefully.

With respect to the ethical issues, it is pretty easy to asess in advance where people are fishing and sometimes it is adviseable to plan your route carefully as to not annoy too many people along the way. Contrary to common belief, fish are not easily "spooked" by the passage of a pontoon or kyack, as long as the water is not being flailed to death with paddles or oars. Often, I have caught fish immediately after the passage of a watercraft. Keep in mind, the water temperature at this time in the year, will run between 38-48 degrees and that is pretty cold for a swim.
I would strongly advise beaching your craft, do an area, then run down a bit further, etc. With respect to the paqrking, there is no safe place to leave a car along the river!!....Use a third party to do the put ins and the pick up and you'll have a better day.......Ortho 8)

#16 ·
Everytime a kayaker has passed by me I'm at a pool. And the kayakers always do rolls and cause a great havoc. Maybe I've just had bad luck with them.

#17 ·
the one thing that ticks me off, is that the fishermen are the only ones who must pay to use the river, and to be honest, I've never seen any kayakers or canoeists respect the fact that my line is in the water. :2cents:

#18 ·
I actually use the Kayakies cavorting to my advantage.

watch the line they take and fish the pockets they do not go through, they will often move fish out of pockets and into others, a recently moved fish can be a grand biter and I hook many doing just this.

I float the Vedder often and have not had much trouble with anglers, one guy was mad as I floated my boat over a cut bank he was fishing(from the oposite side), I waited patiently as he fished this hole thouroughly, finally I set off and drifted over the cut bank area, not using my oars and just floating in my camo boat over 8 foot deep water. I would have gone behind him, but the river below him was not floatable due to log jams, so I had no option.

Typically I walk my boat past anglers and always give consideration to shore anglers, I use the boat to access hard to reach and non typical spots, that no one else is fishing.

Mostly the anglers who have a bad attitiude towards me are older anglers who dislike new stuff, and others who are probably pissed because they aren't floating as well.

Just remember if you are floating, you can always find more water, while shore bound anglers are concentrating on a smaller piece of river.

As for fishing from the boat, backing plugs or bait down the river can be done if you have a rod holder, it can be very productive and worthwhile, but IMO you need an empty run to do this, and the Vedder is seriously lacking in these now days.

#20 ·
Bent Rod makes some good points regarding the shore guys vs. the drifters. I think there is a bit more respect between the two groups rather than the kyakers.....I also agree if fish are "dislodged" they often become agressive, and on several occaisions as mentioned previously I have caught fish immediately after a bunch of kyakers went through my water....Another example happened last summer when my son, who was following me in the Thompson River drifted right through a small slot I was fishing, a body of water that was 4-6 feet deep. Immediately after the "pass by" I hooked and landed the biggest trout of the trip, captured live on video by one of our fearless moderators......Ortho 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.