BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have started tying some dries up for the Skagit.

just curious to see some that other people tie up :thumbup:

I will post a few pics after i have tied a few of each pattern. So far i did 2 Elk Hair Caddis dries. first one was good second was even better ;D

I will say that not being used to tying hackle flies it has a certain trick to at first :cheers:

happy tying :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so far i have tied up a couple patterns.

Elk Hair Caddis

Adams

I still have to tie up some Light Cahill and Elh hair emergers :thumbup: and any other flies to suggest for the Skagit or other lower mainland rivers

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey FF can you PM the materials you use to tie that :thumbup: its a nice tie. I wanna take a good arsenal of flies to the river :cheers: EDIT no need to send me the details FF i found them on our sister site :thumbup: guess its back to the fly shop this week.

can you tell i also figured out how to use the picture taking thing to make them BIGGER and clear :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
HOOK said:
Elk Hair Caddis

HOOK try tying your Elk hair Caddis with much shorter hackle. The length of the hackle barbs should be 1 to 1 1/2 times the width of the hook gap. Otherwise your fly will just tip over on its side and not catch anything.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Prof. :thumbup: I do know that but forgot to check it before i tied it on :wallbash: that fly does sit with the hook bend facing the water though, this still ok?

no flies to share yourself?

I guess my Adams looks good cause noone has commented :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Adams does look nice. :thumbup:
I haven't tied a dry ever. Thinking about making myself a nice tying bench, it would get me tying more and justify me spending all that money on materials and tools!!
Doesn't the blue dun work well on the Skagit?

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i was suggested to tie that pattern also and i know what it looks like but cant find the exact pattern i remember because i did have one in my fly box when i started fly fishing :confused:

maybe someone can point me to it. the one im thinking of has the little up-turned wings like the Adams does. all the patterns i have found online havent had them at all :confused: then again maybe im just remembering wrong :wallbash:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I guess you could always find one at the fly shop that suited you and copy it??
I tried to find a few in my book "The Ultimate Fly Box", there are some duns/mayfly/callibaetis but none that matched what I've seen and used.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Fish Finder said:
My personal Skagit favorite, the Lady McConnell.

I like tying my lady McConnell with 1mm foam for the body. This makes it float so much nicier. In fact I will tie all my dries with 1mm foam on the body if I can. No need for floatant when you do this.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here is a Lt. Cahill i did up last night :thumbup:

ive been having fun tying up these dry hackle flies so havent bothered to tie the Elk hair emerger yet :thumbup: well that and im going to have to buy more hoosk pretty quick :thumbup:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Any 1 want a beard off of a moose? I have one from hunting last year and I dont tie flies so its kinda pointless to have it sitting in my shed... PM me if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One neat trick you can do to an elk hair caddis is to cut the hackle off of the bottom half of the fly (yours might be a good candidate, HOOK). This gives you a fly that rides lower in the surface film, which can be advantageous when fish are keying in on emergers.

If I'm fishing an elk hair caddis pattern and fish are rising to everything but my fly, I'll often cut half of the hackle off before changing flies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.